James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Charger 2015 Dodge Challenger 2017 MX 5 RF
Occupation
Retired
8040A6FD-E836-4508-BBE6-F850F6BD5B59.png
Just contacted Bestop wanting to purchase a Sunrider for hardtop for my new Sahara JLU.
It would be used a lot here in SW Florida where in a few months we have downpours at any time during rainy season.
Will not be available until spring 2019. This seems like an awful long time to manufacture.
You would think they would have been able to get a new JLU months ago to start on it.
Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I didn't even know this existed. Neat.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
I got one for my JKUR and enjoyed it so much I sold my complete soft top and only run this and my HT daily.

Wish this one would work for the new JLU but will just order a new one and dual tops for my JLUR.I hated the soft top but really want to try the new soft top as you get the Premium soft top and the HT.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
8040A6FD-E836-4508-BBE6-F850F6BD5B59.png
Just contacted Bestop wanting to purchase a Sunrider for hardtop for my new Sahara JLU.
It would be used a lot here in SW Florida where in a few months we have downpours at any time during rainy season.
Will not be available until spring 2019. This seems like an awful long time to manufacture.
You would think they would have been able to get a new JLU months ago to start on it.
They’ve had access to JLs from the start, but that’s because they make the OEM soft-top.

I have a feeling the delay is partly because they are swamped with the final JK orders and all the new JL orders.

Likely first they will make full Soft tops / Hybrids and then move on the the Sunrider insert once everything is up and running smoothly and they have inventory and spare capacity.

ckorte13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Loaded
I got one for my JKUR and enjoyed it so much I sold my complete soft top and only run this and my HT daily.

Wish this one would work for the new JLU but will just order a new one and dual tops for my JLUR.I hated the soft top but really want to try the new soft top as you get the Premium soft top and the HT.
Really! Wow, that is super cool.... something to look forward too...

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I think this device is great, but clearly I am missing something at the $650 North price point.

Educate me. Is it that hard to take off or put on the Freedom panels that this product justifies its cost in convenience?

OP
OP
FloridaCowboy

FloridaCowboy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
20240B41-5F64-453D-949D-C523B34ECD0A.jpeg
It’s the convenience of it. You can have the top open or closed in a split second, especially if your running around the city and have stops to do.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
I agree with the OP. This should have been available, at least, by this Spring! That's an oversight and a missed opportunity, I think. Once people have learned to live with the new, lighter Freedom Panels, they may not ever buy the Sunrider.

I could be one of those people...

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
20240B41-5F64-453D-949D-C523B34ECD0A.jpeg
It’s the convenience of it. You can have the top open or closed in a split second, especially if your running around the city and have stops to do.
Ok James---I can see your point. Summer thunder storms can come quickly, especially when, for example, the storm's traveling East, and your in your rig traveling West.

It's not like this top is equivalent to a stationary awning attached your home, where you can here the storm coming and adjust its setting.

Sponsored

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I think this device is great, but clearly I am missing something at the $650 North price point.

Educate me. Is it that hard to take off or put on the Freedom panels that this product justifies its cost in convenience?
It was DEFINETLY a huge plus on the JK where you had two knobs you had to turn about 398 times each to remove the Freedom Panels. Now that they are so much easier to remove and lighter probably less people will go for the Sunrider. Maybe it will be cheaper because of that fact. I'm still getting one, two latches at a stop light and nothing to remove/store is money.

Jeepnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma pro
I tried to search
But what does this look like closed?
It seems like a very off addition to a hard top

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
It was DEFINETLY a huge plus on the JK where you had two knobs you had to turn about 398 times each to remove the Freedom Panels. Now that they are so much easier to remove and lighter probably less people will go for the Sunrider. Maybe it will be cheaper because of that fact. I'm still getting one, two latches at a stop light and nothing to remove/store is money.
That's an excellent point My focus was on covering up quickly in rain. Yours also concerned the easy of exposure with the Sunrider versus those Freedom Panel knobs.

It's just that a part of me says...."I could buy a whole soft top for the money this costs to just cover the front seat."

Clearly--they know their optimal price point better than I do--and may hold patents making competitor imitations difficult.

OP
OP
FloridaCowboy

FloridaCowboy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
56EBA189-BAF4-4283-A6CA-46A0A7C69457.jpeg E3C5F975-574A-4AE4-98A0-2F3208F185A4.jpeg
I tried to search
But what does this look like closed?
It seems like a very off addition to a hard top
Search Bestop sunrider for hardtop on youtube. They have videos.
Not for everyone but, well worth $700 to me.
Sponsored