No start, dash and wiper freak out, battery disconnect sparking on reconnect

asni13

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I’ve read a bunch of threads but I’m not finding more specific problem I started having with it. I have a 2021 JLU sport s 3.6

My Jeep was just in the dealer for an oil change and check up last week. Last night I got in and pressed the start button to get nothing but a click and then all dash and interior lights flashing on and off and freaking out. Then, the wipers started slowly running. I could not get it to stop and shut off by hitting the start button. It just continuously flashed with no end in sight.
When I opened the hood, I could hear clicking noise around the PDC.
It was recommended from a forum member to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. I disconnected the negative and everything stopped flashing. However, when I reconnected the same issue started over flashing again. I also was unable to use any of the power locks at this point.
So, I disconnected again and was bound to let it sit for a little bit until I can try jumping and getting it running to get to the dealer tomorrow.
However, my big issue is that now when I try to reconnect the negative I’m getting a spark every time I touch the terminal in order to connect. So, now I have no way of reconnecting the battery without major sparks and I’m weary to continue connecting given the sparks. I don’t want to fry something.

Does anyone know what’s going on or have any suggestions on how I can get it going in the meantime to get it to the dealership for battery replacement? Importantly, how can I get the battery reconnected without sparking?

(PS I live in an apartment building in a parking garage so I’m pretty sure towing is going to be an issue)
Sponsored

Attachments

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
I couldn’t play your videos but you are now getting constant arching when you connect the negative? Obviously it’s a significant electrical issue and it seems to be getting worse. Last time I saw an odd issue like this it was due to mice destroying the main wiring harness. I’m guessing most tow companies in metro areas have methods for garage extraction. Sorry I wasn’t much help but I’ll be interested in the outcome, good luck!

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I would assume the sparking is because of a load on the battery at contact...something is drawing power that should not be. MaineBumkin is correct...,significant electrical issue.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
That needs to be looked at by a dealer.
Getting it out of underground parking isn't hard. Just put it into neutral and use a tow strap to get it outside and on the flatbed. Whoever the dealer or FCA sends for roadside should be able to figure that out.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I’ve read a bunch of threads but I’m not finding more specific problem I started having with it. I have a 2021 JLU sport s 3.6

My Jeep was just in the dealer for an oil change and check up last week. Last night I got in and pressed the start button to get nothing but a click and then all dash and interior lights flashing on and off and freaking out. Then, the wipers started slowly running. I could not get it to stop and shut off by hitting the start button. It just continuously flashed with no end in sight.
When I opened the hood, I could hear clicking noise around the PDC.
It was recommended from a forum member to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. I disconnected the negative and everything stopped flashing. However, when I reconnected the same issue started over flashing again. I also was unable to use any of the power locks at this point.
So, I disconnected again and was bound to let it sit for a little bit until I can try jumping and getting it running to get to the dealer tomorrow.
However, my big issue is that now when I try to reconnect the negative I’m getting a spark every time I touch the terminal in order to connect. So, now I have no way of reconnecting the battery without major sparks and I’m weary to continue connecting given the sparks. I don’t want to fry something.

Does anyone know what’s going on or have any suggestions on how I can get it going in the meantime to get it to the dealership for battery replacement? Importantly, how can I get the battery reconnected without sparking?

(PS I live in an apartment building in a parking garage so I’m pretty sure towing is going to be an issue)
First, it's best to just post a problem in one place and allow time for people to reply, instead of having multiple posts with the same question.

The sparking when connecting the negative cable is normal, mine does it every time. The freaking out is due to a low battery charge or bad battery.

Sponsored

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Batteries spark when you connect them. That isn't abnormal.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
First, it's best to just post a problem in one place and allow time for people to reply, instead of having multiple posts with the same question.

The sparking when connecting the negative cable is normal, mine does it every time. The freaking out is due to a low battery charge or bad battery.
Batteries spark when you connect them. That isn't abnormal.
Lol, I was thinking OP meant a "shower" of sparks. Not the usual small arc.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@asni13

The "sparking" you are seeing is not unusual/is the norm with the JL when reconnecting,

Your issue is related to battery(s) depletion.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@asni13

If you have to get it to the dealership for any reason, your MUST have it flat bedded there. Do not tow it there.

Under Warranty....Call FCA Road Service at Ph. 1-800-992-1997 and tell them you need it taken to dealership.. you are broken down.

They will arrange for and they will pay for, the trip to the nearest dealership. Must be nearest dealer or you will end up being billed for the flat bed.

You MUST specifically tell the agent that answers, that the owner's manual says Flat Bed only or you may very well not have a flat bed truck show up. Anyway, do not tow it, Flatbed it.

IF you or the tow guy cannot get the JL out of park.... do this..

Jeep Wrangler JL No start, dash and wiper freak out, battery disconnect sparking on reconnect yy.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
asni13

asni13

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey appreciate all of this feedback so far! Update: roadside service came and he jumped it. It started up, and after just a second hooked up, he disconnected and the battery voltage is already showing 14.2V on my dash. But the check engine light is on.

Sitting here for a while before I shut it off or go anywhere. But do you guys think I should definitely still get it to the dealer ASAP even with the battery reading that?

super strange and the roadside guy thinks it’s insane for a brand new car to have this happening (haha) freakin electronics nowadays

Ya know, as I typed this the voltage is now fluttering between 13.9 and 14.0

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Hey appreciate all of this feedback so far! Update: roadside service came and he jumped it. It started up, and after just a second hooked up, he disconnected and the battery voltage is already showing 14.2V on my dash. But the check engine light is on.

Sitting here for a while before I shut it off or go anywhere. But do you guys think I should definitely still get it to the dealer ASAP even with the battery reading that?

super strange and the roadside guy thinks it’s insane for a brand new car to have this happening (haha) freakin electronics nowadays

Ya know, as I typed this the voltage is now fluttering between 13.9 and 14.0
When my main battery croaked a few months after I got my Jeep, my symptoms were identical to yours. My dash looked like the Chernobyl control panel and a “click” was all I’d get. Slapped on my maintainer, waited a few seconds and everything mellowed out. Put a wrench on every battery connection that you can see and then push on every fuse you can touch. Doing that won’t resurrect a junk factory battery but it could save you from junking one. Good luck!

OP
OP
asni13

asni13

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm super weird.... I got it to the dealer yesterday. They just texted me saying “we got you looked at and ready to pickup. This vehicle is not equipped with an auxiliary battery and the only thing we found was a battery failure.”

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
Hmm super weird.... I got it to the dealer yesterday. They just texted me saying “we got you looked at and ready to pickup. This vehicle is not equipped with an auxiliary battery and the only thing we found was a battery failure.”
If it's an auto, you most likely have the 3.6 eTorque so no aux battery

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
So yours is an eTorque V6?
Sponsored