Sponsored

No Squatting JL's in NC

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If they didn’t pass this law then you gotta put up with some dudes lights in your face.
A smart law would address the actual issue, then. Make it illegal to alter a vehicle such as to make the headlights more than x degrees higher than OEM specifications.

It is possible to have a squat and still adjust the headlights to be level. It is also possible to have a level vehicle with headlights adjusted too high.

Always best to legislate the proper issue vs the looks. But that would require politicians with brains, common sense, etc.
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I don’t know how many times here in TX I’ve been blinded by a truck with a lift or front leveling kit because the headlights weren’t adjusted afterwards. Hopefully they don’t make lifts illegal here...

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
We have this stupidity here in NYC. It’s called “stanced”

EF15864E-A56F-4346-B671-6327EDD777C0.png
How these people clear potholes and speed bumps is beyond me. My neighbor used to have a Subaru Impreza Hatchback that was lowered and the thing looked ugly as it also had spinners.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have only seen this on what I assumed to be on trucks with "poorly" installed / mismatched lifts before and I had no idea its really a thing on lifted trucks!

I used to build lowered trucks and have owned multiple trucks with air suspensions including body dropped trucks, and I have rolled this way before but with reason. This "stance" is sometimes needed when you are running large rims in which you tuck the tires into the front fender well (with negative camber of course).

For example, when you are bagged and driving at a PSI in which the front wheels are tucked, you need to air up the front in order to turn without doing some damage to the front fenders. Thus you wind up with the front much higher than the rear.

I never though it looked cool that way unless you can level it out out on demand (air ride suspension).

And yes, many years ago I got a ticket for "modified vehicle" when driving a bagged truck. The judge threw it out though as "modified vehicle" was apparently not descriptive enough to confirm to whatever vehicle code the officer was attempting to cite.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I wonder if anyone has tried to combine the two yet.
Now we know why, ALL THIS TIME, some people have complained about their Wrangler’s steering... this is what their rigs looked like
Jeep Wrangler JL No Squatting JL's in NC 1623207322804

And this
Jeep Wrangler JL No Squatting JL's in NC 1623207215487

Last edited:

Sponsored

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
My Jeep looked like that at one point... when I was carrying a half pallet of flooring material home. I was so embarrassed. I was hoping no one would see me in my hoopty-ass looking Rubicon.

I had no idea this was a thing. I wish I still didn't know.

I respect what other members said that "it's their thing, they're passionate about it, and that's cool with me." But I kinda have a limit. This just has zero application. Ugh.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
A smart law would address the actual issue, then. Make it illegal to alter a vehicle such as to make the headlights more than x degrees higher than OEM specifications.

It is possible to have a squat and still adjust the headlights to be level. It is also possible to have a level vehicle with headlights adjusted too high.

Always best to legislate the proper issue vs the looks. But that would require politicians with brains, common sense, etc.
This, and it's all too fucking common. They never just address the damn issue. They address the appearance of an issue without actually addressing the issue itself because it's easier to point a finger at something that sticks out like a truck with a stupid half lift and throw out a sound bite pretending like you did something rather than actually make a difference.

Actual text of proposed legislation

Not only does it not address the actual problem (the headlights and their angle), but it specifically states you can't raise the front of your vehicle more than 3 inches AND lower the rear more than 2 inches (both from manufacturers specified height). So, you could raise the front as high as you wanted, as long as you didn't lower the rear, or only lowered it 2 inches, no more. Or a manufacturer could release specific lowered versions and all you need to do is raise the front end. The law is absolutely stupid as written.

Edit: Fixed the link, thanks @Reinen

Last edited:

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
This, and it's all too fucking common. They never just address the damn issue. They address the appearance of an issue without actually addressing the issue itself because it's easier to point a finger at something that sticks out like a truck with a stupid half lift and throw out a sound bite pretending like you did something rather than actually make a difference.

Actual text of proposed legislation

Not only does it not address the actual problem (the headlights and their angle), but it specifically states you can't raise the front of your vehicle more than 3 inches AND lower the rear more than 2 inches (both from manufacturers specified height). So, you could raise the front as high as you wanted, as long as you didn't lower the rear, or only lowered it 2 inches, no more. Or a manufacturer could release specific lowered versions and all you need to do is raise the front end. The law is absolutely stupid as written.
I think you didn't link what you intended. Here's a link to the bill.
https://www.ncleg.gov/Sessions/2021/Bills/House/PDF/H692v1.pdf

Looks to me like there's more to it. They removed the exception for multipurpose off-road use vehicles and the 6" lift limit. So they killed the Carolina Squat and left a wide open door to all sorts of other ridiculousness. Nice. Okay southern boys, show us what you come up with.

Sponsored

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
Everyone here in western North Carolina keeps their highbeams on all the time anyway, they give zero fucks

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Everyone here in western North Carolina keeps their highbeams on all the time anyway, they give zero fucks
I've definitely seen this and I live in central NC. I have no idea where this constant high beam attitude came from but it's annoying and dangerous. Police used to pull people over for this and we all knew it.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I've definitely seen this and I live in central NC. I have no idea where this constant high beam attitude came from but it's annoying and dangerous. Police used to pull people over for this and we all knew it.
That’s ok because if if they’re on the other side of the road with high beams I simply put mine on. I gotta look at yours then you gotta look at mine.
When I was younger and more hot headed there were a few times someone was behind me with high beams. I’d pull over let them get in front and see how they liked it. I wouldn’t recommend doing that today. These Jackoffs aren’t man enough to fight with fists anymore.