No reverse lights or camera after changing gears on manual JLUS

Wrangler671

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL wrangler
I regeared my manual trans JLUS less then a week ago and since i left the shop a start stop light has came on indicating it needs service. that light comes on soon after starting my jeep. Wont even go a mile without it coming back on and when it does it disables my back up camera and reverse lights which will not work again unless i turn my jeep off then on again. It goes on like regular from there but Once that service start stop light come on, (which is not long at all from starting it up again) my camera and reverse light will not work. Very frustrated with it. Hope you guys have some answers…

1E6DE52D-20B8-4FF3-832E-1D3FFE88163E.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wrangler671

Wrangler671

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL wrangler
It also wont show what gear im in as you can see in the top mid of my screen

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
You need to do the sixth gear relearn process. Most reliable way to do it is disconnect your battery/batteries for a minute or so then drive in sixth gear above 50 mph with a constant pressure on the throttle for about 30 seconds.
The procedure is described Here but I’ve never had success using the “reboot” process. Disconnecting the battery works 100% of the time.
Gregj

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The gear isn't shown for manual transmissions.
If he’s had the last recall done it should, that’s the double bar at the top center of his cluster EVIC.
Gregj

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After looking at the OP’s location is there even any place to do the relearn procedure? Being an island and all.
Gregj

OP
OP
Wrangler671

Wrangler671

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL wrangler
After looking at the OP’s location is there even any place to do the relearn procedure? Being an island and all.
Gregj
No sadly. Id be breaking the law lol

OP
OP
Wrangler671

Wrangler671

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL wrangler
You need to do the sixth gear relearn process. Most reliable way to do it is disconnect your battery/batteries for a minute or so then drive in sixth gear above 50 mph with a constant pressure on the throttle for about 30 seconds.
The procedure is described Here but I’ve never had success using the “reboot” process. Disconnecting the battery works 100% of the time.
Gregj
I dont have a superchip or tazer. Will those fix the problem without doing that learning process?Are those a need after the change of gears? Also how would i know if there is more then one battery?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only thing I can think of is reach out to the local dealer and have them change the gear ratio in the settings and ask how they do the relearn procedure. What is the highest speed limit on Guam?
Gregj

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I dont have a superchip or tazer. Will those fix the problem without doing that learning process?Are those a need after the change of gears? Also how would i know if there is more then one battery?
First you want to purchase a Tazer or the like and use it to set the tire size and gear size you are now running. That you have a manual transmission is your only saving grace that it isn't acting any weirder than it is without having reprogrammed those two items.
Once you set the proper gear and tire size you need to do the re-learn 6th gear procedure and the Tazer literature even walks you through it. There is no way around it, you need to get the Jeep up to whatever speed it is they say for the computer to re-learn. Break the law buddy :)

Now it is quite possibly you may have some really crappy luck right now and your aux battery may be on it's way out. If your aux or main battery start to get too weak you will get the auto stop/start issue as well. Those aux batteries can fail with as little as 40,000 miles on them and less then 3 years of use, main batteries for that matter as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wrangler671

Wrangler671

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL wrangler
First you want to purchase a Tazer or the like and use it to set the tire size and gear size you are now running. That you have a manual transmission is your only saving grace that it isn't acting any weirder than it is without having reprogrammed those two items.
Once you set the proper gear and tire size you need to do the re-learn 6th gear procedure and the Tazer literature even walks you through it. There is no way around it, you need to get the Jeep up to whatever speed it is they say for the computer to re-learn. Break the law buddy :)

Now it is quite possibly you may have some really crappy luck right now and your aux battery may be on it's way out. If your aux or main battery start to get too weak you will get the auto stop/start issue as well. Those aux batteries can fail with as little as 40,000 miles on them and less then 3 years of use, main batteries for that matter as well.
Only thing I can think of is reach out to the local dealer and have them change the gear ratio in the settings and ask how they do the relearn procedure. What is the highest speed limit on Guam?
Gregj
i have set an appointment to try this but they are filled for over a months time. 35 mph is the limit, i can definitely go to 50 but the problem would be finding a area i can do it constantly

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could try it, maybe go 5 over. Disconnect your battery terminals. Use a 13 mm wrench to remove the cable circled in red, separate it out so it is not touching anything, then use a 10 mm wrench to disconnect the terminal noted in yellow, again don’t let it touch anything. Wait a minute then reconnect and drive the Jeep in sixth gear with constant throttle pressure for about 30 seconds. Hopefully that is enough to do the trick.
Jeep Wrangler JL No reverse lights or camera after changing gears on manual JLUS E741D941-597F-4525-9F9C-64655A28C2F6

You really need to adjust the settings for your new gear ratio and tire size. Tazer, JScan and Flashcal can do this. Your dealer may do it for you as well.
Gregj

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wrangler671

Wrangler671

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL wrangler
You could try it, maybe go 5 over. Disconnect you battery terminals. Use a 13 mm wrench to remove the cable circled in red, separate it out so it is not touching anything, then use a 10 mm wrench to disconnect the terminal noted in yellow, again don’t let it touch anything. Wait a minute then reconnect and drive the Jeep in sixth gear with constant throttle pressure for about 30 seconds. Hopefully that is enough to do the trick.
Jeep Wrangler JL No reverse lights or camera after changing gears on manual JLUS E741D941-597F-4525-9F9C-64655A28C2F6

You really need to adjust the settings for your new gear ratio and tire size. Tazer, JScan and Flashcal can do this. Your dealer may do it for you as well.
Gregj
I will do those as soon as i can afford it. Circled in red will disconnect the second battery without having to take out the main one?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, circled in red is the negative connection for the aux battery buried under the fuse box, the yellow is the negative for the main battery. You have to disconnect both to kill all power to the Jeep.
Gregj

OP
OP
Wrangler671

Wrangler671

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL wrangler
Yes, circled in red is the negative connection for the aux battery buried under the fuse box, the yellow is the negative for the main battery. You have to disconnect both to kill all power to the Jeep.
Gregj
I will definitely give this a try and keep u posted. Thank you for your help!
Sponsored