No radio button after upgrading to 8.4 UConnect

wolf28

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
So today I upgraded my 7" screen to an 8.4" screen I bought from a guy who upgraded to a Stinger. Install went great and everything appears to be working (nav, off-road pages, etc.) except for the fact that I have no button for the radio. In order to listen to AM/FM/XM I have to use the "Media" button and then select my source. Has anyone ever seen this before
Jeep Wrangler JL No radio button after upgrading to 8.4 UConnect 20210918_152240
Sponsored

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
i think you can go to "Apps" and then long press on what ever you want (like an iphone) and then move the radio icon or anything else you want and just drag it to the bottom section to have it always there.

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
Newer versions of UConnect combine all audio sources into Media.
when did they update it? my jeep is a 2019 and i have a separate radio icon, Media is for everything else the user plugs into the jeep. that's how it is on mine.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
when did they update it? my jeep is a 2019 and i have a separate radio icon, Media is for everything else the user plugs into the jeep. that's how it is on mine.
Not sure when, specifically, but I believe it's been that way since 28.3 and above.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

CrimsonGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Occupation
Systems Engineer
2020 at least is when they combined the buttons. My 2018 WK2 still had separate buttons. Our 2020 Pacifica has the combined.

I like it because now I have a spot for backup cam and OffRoad Pages on the main screen!

OP
OP
wolf28

wolf28

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
If it's a replacement radio, it doesn't matter the age of your Jeep. It's the version of the firmware on the radio. Could be OG 2018 for all you know, unless you go to the engineering screen by holding the outermost icons on the lower shortcut bar and check. The OTA software updates are tied to VIN. You might want to contact UConnect and make sure your VIN is associated with the serial number of your radio.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wolf28

wolf28

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it's a replacement radio, it doesn't matter the age of your Jeep. It's the version of the firmware on the radio. Could be OG 2018 for all you know, unless you go to the engineering screen by holding the outermost icons on the lower shortcut bar and check. The OTA software updates are tied to VIN. You might want to contact UConnect and make sure your VIN is associated with the serial number of your radio.
It came out of a 2020

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It came out of a 2020
Do you know that for a fact? When I asked for a newer radio at the dealership, I was told they were only authorized to replace a defective radio with a refurb from the same exact model year, nothing newer.

OP
OP
wolf28

wolf28

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you know that for a fact? When I asked for a newer radio at the dealership, I was told they were only authorized to replace a defective radio with a refurb from the same exact model year, nothing newer.
It wasn't a replacement, it was the original unit from someone with a 2020 who upgraded to an aftermarket head unit. The manufacture date on the sticker on the unit was from late 2019

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It wasn't a replacement, it was the original unit from someone with a 2020 who upgraded to an aftermarket head unit. The manufacture date on the sticker on the unit was from late 2019
Reach out to JeepCares to have them verify if the radio is properly associated with your VIN. Just contacted them yesterday, since I suspected my replacement radio wasn't getting OTA updates cause it wasn't associated to mine. Turned out I was right. I have a service appointment tomorrow morning to have the dealership manually update the software, since it's several versions behind now.

DesiraeP

First Name
Desirae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Does anybody perhap’s know any info on when you upgrade from a 5” to an 8.4” if you have the climate control button on the radio, can you delete it from the screen if you choose not to upgrade the manual climate control’s? I’m okay with using my steering wheel control’s but don’t want the button on the screen if it’s useless.
Also, has anyone had any success with updating the 8.4” after upgrading?I don’t really want to spend the money on this if it’s not updatable. Thanks!
Sponsored