Sponsored

No problems with my Jeep today - Or ever!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have owned my JLUR for just over a year and have 28,600+ miles on it. I have not had a single issue and it is a blast to drive. I actually make up excuses to drive it. I have done all my own service (oil changes, differentials and the tranny and transfer case fluid change).

I would love for someone to use a blue or white light scanner and design a 3D printed insert (will have to be two pieces) to improve the defrost air flow across the entire windshield. This would be an easy improvement for FCA and if they made an improved component I would install it myself.
@_olllllllo_
You say you have not had a single issue and then in the same paragraph, imply you are having front defroster issues.... 8-)

I too truly like my JL. Have had it 2 years +. I have 36,000+ miles on it.

I can list numerous issues, design faults in regard to it.

I'm pro JL.. I have posted lots here in a positive regard about the JL.

With that said, I am not blind to the JL's many shortcomings.
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
@_olllllllo_
You say you have not had a single issue and then in the same paragraph, imply you are having front defroster issues.... 8-)

I too truly like my JL. Have had it 2 years +. I have 36,000+ miles on it.

I can list numerous issues, design faults in regard to it.

I'm pro JL.. I have posted lots here in a positive regard about the JL.

With that said, I am not blind to the JL's many shortcomings.
I should have been more clear that I haven't had any real mechanical or electrical issues. I am looking at solutions to avoid the auxiliary battery issue before I am caught out by it, especially since batteries seem to last a maximum of three years in the Southern Arizona climate. Part of the issue with all vehicles is the balance between both material and design quality and the cost of manufacturing. It would be great if there was a method to directly recommend enhancements and ideas to the engineers at FCA much in the same way Tesla works, but sadly we have to work through a JeepCares representative. I am about to send in a list of improvements that I think would improve the experience with the vehicle.

I agree that every vehicle has shortcomings and the defroster is definitely one. I haven't had an issue with it as I live in an are where a cold morning is 60Ëš or below. If I travel in the winter to a colder climate like Flagstaff, Arizona which gets over 6 feet of snow in the winter, the defroster could definitely become an issue, but thanks to this forum I purchased the plugs to spread out the air flow over the windshield. I would still like a more integrated solution.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should have been more clear that I haven't had any real mechanical or electrical issues. I am looking at solutions to avoid the auxiliary battery issue before I am caught out by it, especially since batteries seem to last a maximum of three years in the Southern Arizona climate. Part of the issue with all vehicles is the balance between both material and design quality and the cost of manufacturing. It would be great if there was a method to directly recommend enhancements and ideas to the engineers at FCA much in the same way Tesla works, but sadly we have to work through a JeepCares representative. I am about to send in a list of improvements that I think would improve the experience with the vehicle.

I agree that every vehicle has shortcomings and the defroster is definitely one. I haven't had an issue with it as I live in an are where a cold morning is 60Ëš or below. If I travel in the winter to a colder climate like Flagstaff, Arizona which gets over 6 feet of snow in the winter, the defroster could definitely become an issue, but thanks to this forum I purchased the plugs to spread out the air flow over the windshield. I would still like a more integrated solution.
@_olllllllo_

I hear ya... yes, wise to research before the chitt hits the fan and you know it probably will. 8-)

Early on the JL's battery set-up, left me in a lurch so to speak. I did lots of homework and decided it is best for me at least to run with just the Main battery.. Run just as I have done with the last 5 JK's and other Jeeps, I have owned.

Personally, I don't trust the JL, in regard to it's two batteries, the sensors and such..

With that said, and because of my distrust ........... I have been running with the N1 - N2 jumper/bypass with Aux. Negative cable disconnected full-time for over a year now and over 18,900 miles doing so.

Leaves me running the JL with just the Main battery. No issues or shortcomings doing so..

I feel less vulnerable, lets say, running with one battery (Main) in use on my JL, just as I ran all my past JK's...... with one battery.

My JL's, Aux battery is healthy but I don't trust it... 8-)

I still attach a Battery Tender to both batteries to maintain them, when my vehicle sits idle for a few days. JL behaves just fine running on just the Main.. I still use the wingnuts on all, just in case I need to go back to stock configuration and don't want to bother with tools.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
@_olllllllo_

I hear ya... yes, wise to research before the chitt hits the fan and you know it probably will. 8-)

Early on the JL's battery set-up, left me in a lurch so to speak. I did lots of homework and decided it is best for me at least to run with just the Main battery.. Run just as I have done with the last 5 JK's and other Jeeps, I have owned.

Personally, I don't trust the JL, in regard to it's two batteries, the sensors and such..

With that said, and because of my distrust ........... I have been running with the N1 - N2 jumper/bypass with Aux. Negative cable disconnected full-time for over a year now and over 18,900 miles doing so.

Leaves me running the JL with just the Main battery. No issues or shortcomings doing so..

I feel less vulnerable, lets say, running with one battery (Main) in use on my JL, just as I ran all my past JK's...... with one battery.

My JL's, Aux battery is healthy but I don't trust it... 8-)

I still attach a Battery Tender to both batteries to maintain them, when my vehicle sits idle for a few days. JL behaves just fine running on just the Main.. I still use the wingnuts on all, just in case I need to go back to stock configuration and don't want to bother with tools.
I remember the post with great images of just how to accomplish the jumper. In your current setup is the auxiliary battery getting an charge from the alternator? I need to investigate the Genesis dual battery solution to see if it resolves any of the auxiliary battery limitations.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I remember the post with great images of just how to accomplish the jumper. In your current setup is the auxiliary battery getting an charge from the alternator? I need to investigate the Genesis dual battery solution to see if it resolves any of the auxiliary battery limitations.
@_olllllllo_

My Aux is out of the picture ... not in use.... not being charged by the JL's Alternator.

My JL / all it's functions work just as if both batteries were hooked up.

1st and 15th of each month, the Aux is hooked up to the Battery Tender. I do this to maintain it.
I do not have to open the hood of the JL. I have a quick disconnect which one ends resides in my passenger side foot well. My JL is garaged when not in use.

I monitor the Main and Aux, with a voltage indicator that hooks onto a quick disconnect cable.

Jeep Wrangler JL No problems with my Jeep today - Or ever!

Sponsored

WestlakeHorn

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera S
1 year and 7k miles with no issues. We rarely use defrosters in Central Texas -- maybe 1 out of every 5 years? -- so I have no clue on this one.

To MOPAR's point, the 6year / 70K mile extended warranty was dirt cheap on this vehicle. I assume I will make that money back during that time period....

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 JLUR is about to roll over 30k miles and still gives me wood after 18 months of problem free and obviously proud ownership.

Now, before Rhinebeck01's eye starts twitching, I have found that the windshield defroster isn't capable of melting snow on the sides. If it's cleared first and the heat is kept blowing at it, it seems to help. Also, I did get some washer fluid spray in the back cargo area some months back. Was bored while waiting in a parking lot for my wife, and realized I had never used it. Ate up some boredom by having to dry part of the ceiling and a puddle on my weathertechs. It doesn't continue to leak and I've yet to look up the part number to save myself the mystery hour at the dealer. I used to always say that a dealers parts counter guy could only get an air freshener right, until they handed me one with a naked guy on it. Lol

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
28 pages talking JL windshield defroster related issues. Issue affects all JL's.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/question-regarding-the-windsheld-defrost.15276/

Here is the thread regarding, rear washer dripping that affects ALL, all 2018 JL's that have not had the valve installed:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rear-window-fluid-dripping.7472/
Yes, true, but if it doesn´t bug you, it isn´t a problem, IMHO. There are a number of things with my YJ, JK, JL over the years that I would not have noticed, if not for a forum. I´m told the climate control under certain conditions will blow warm air at the feet when the air is on (or maybe it was cold air when the heat is on?). I haven´t noticed it, but I´m told the early 2018´s all do it. Until I notice it, it isn´t a problem.

I also categorize problems, such as design flaws vs. fit/finish/quality flaws. A vehicle can have no fit/finish/quality flaws and no failures but still have some design flaws. Just depends on how you look at it. In my book, the defroster inconsistency is a design problem.

Other than a couple recalls and an issue with the spring pad on the Mopar lift, I consider my Jeep to be pretty much trouble free. I did correct the defroster flow with a cheap set of plugs off Amazon. It didn´t really bug me, though. Overall, this has been one of the best vehicles I´ve owned in terms of quality/fit/finish. It has certainly been 100% reliable, so far.

If a tree falls in a forest, and nobody is there to hear it, ........:CWL:

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
2 years now, just completed a 2K fishing trip, with some wheeling in there. At 25K plus now and the JLR is running better than new. When new I was experiencing some wandering in the steering........but over time this wandering has disappeared little by little. I cant explain it...but it tracks straight and true even without any hands on the wheel. I am wondering if any one else has similar experience with the wandering steering issue . My JL operates so good that I have not taken it in for the steering stabilizer or clutch mod recalls. I am afraid they will screw it up....and if it ain’t broke....don’t fix it.

YerMaun

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUS, '15 JGC SRT, '11 R8 V10, '05 Mustang GT
18 months with the JLUS, zero issues.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have 35k on my 2018 JLUS and the only issue that needed attention was the main battery failed a load test after 7 months and was replaced under warranty, aside from that and a few recalls that amounted to nothing my JL has been solid.

Along with @Rhinebeck01 i don’t fully trust the two battery system but it’s never given me any issues and I keep ESS disabled with my Smart Stop/Start module and once a month I connect a trickle charger to my JL and leave it for a few days, I really need to try jumping N1 to N2 and disconnecting the ESS negative long term to see what happens but currently it’s all working so I tend to forget the possibility of being stranded if the ESS battery takes a crap but I do have the jumper and wing nuts just in case

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have 35k on my 2018 JLUS and the only issue that needed attention was the main battery failed a load test after 7 months and was replaced under warranty, aside from that and a few recalls that amounted to nothing my JL has been solid.

Along with @Rhinebeck01 i don’t fully trust the two battery system but it’s never given me any issues and I keep ESS disabled with my Smart Stop/Start module and once a month I connect a trickle charger to my JL and leave it for a few days, I really need to try jumping N1 to N2 and disconnecting the ESS negative long term to see what happens but currently it’s all working so I tend to forget the possibility of being stranded if the ESS battery takes a crap but I do have the jumper and wing nuts just in case
I'm with you. I've had no problems with it, but the dual battery deal is strange, to me. When my battery finally goes, I'm going to put a Northstar AGM battery in there, at least for the main one. I'm hoping they make one to replace the small one, too. Hopefully this one will go awhile, though. I'm at 2.5 years. If it makes it to 5, I'll be happy.
Sponsored