Sponsored

No power after rest stop. Couldn't get to highway speed on onramp.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Mine overheated on the highway at ~60 the day after I picked it up from oil leak repair. Went into limp mode and dropped speed to under 30 just as highway merged to 1 lane over a bridge for construction. Almost got plowed into by a few large trucks with nowhere to go. Pretty sure cause was air left in the coolant system. Did it twice more on my way home right after. Coolant temps read 247-249 on the off-road pages. Dealer & Keep insisted it was no problem. They obviously weren't in the vehicle with me.
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Bummer, sorry this is happening to your Jeeps. Sounds like a NHTSA report is in order.

I'm not surprised that this happened (derating due to temps or similar). But I am surprised that there were no messages in the instrument cluster when it did it.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
On dodges Cummins diesels, emissions related limp mode is 5mph and the dash lets you know it’s emissions related. There’s no mistaking it. The gladiator thread suggests it’s temp related. I would have guessed it was fly by wire pedal related.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
It sounds like the engine was running without the support of the turbo.. redline yet still only 50MPH ish... But that would throw a code or a message of some sort, which you didnt have..

Hopefully you get it sorted out, and glad you and the family are safe.

Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I had the exact same thing happen with a Nissan I had. I had to quick shift into neutral and back into drive. I didn’t tell my wife and it happened to her merging on the highway. When she got home needless to say she was piiiiiised off cause I almost killed her. Yah new Tahoe like 2 days later. She didn’t even want to hear about getting it fixed. It’s scarey. Sorry it happened to you and your family.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
@JeepCares

I need somebody to explain what is happening to my brand new jeep that it tried to kill me and my family for no reason. Here is the exact scenario:

1. Drive at interstate speed for about 60-90 minutes.
  2. Stop at a rest area and turn off the engine
  3. Restart the jeep and head for the onramp (both times the onramp was a slight uphill)
  4. Attempt to gain highway speed
  5. Power is almost nothing, peddle to the floor and the RPM are at redline, speed is about 35 MPH and not climbing.
  6. Get run OFF THE ROAD and onto the median because you cannot achieve highway speeds
  7. Come to a stop, and try to speed up again, this time no problems, gains speed normally
  8. No error codes or warning lights during the event

Please don't tell me this is related to emission sensors. I'd hate to think the ECU would rather kill my family than allow for a couple extra carbon ounces to escape.
Did you read the owners manual? Driving on the interstate at full speed for over an hour at high elevation gets the turbo and exhaust REALLY hot. You can't just pull into a rest area and turn off the engine.

What likely happened is you heat soaked it so bad that it retarded power to preserve itself when you jumped back in and tried to hit the highway again.

User error, not vehicle error. Diesels with turbos have had this warning in the manuals for decades.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
^^^^ This is my guess.

You need to idle a diesel (any diesel) for at least a minute after it's been working hard. If you don't the heat will cook the oil in the turbo and before too many miles it will clog the oil passage. Then you will be replacing the turbo...

I wonder if the 2.0 has a similar requirement...

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
A bit overly dramatic? Have you talked to your dealership about this rather than posting about it on a forum?
It's a Jeep Forum, this is exactly where this should be posted. The OP has a valid concern. His Jeep, without warning and with family onboard, could not attain minimum interstate speeds while merging. I worked many traffic fatalities. Death to anyone via MVA is, sudden, tragic, and traumatizing to all relatives, friends, family members, 1st responders, witnesses, etc. Now multiply that by an entire family. Then top it off with the fact that this potentially fatal traffic accident was likely caused by a manufacturing defect, software, hardware, or a combo of the two and not driver error. And if it was driver error to restart his diesel and drive away, then dashboard warnings would be in order.

Yet you don't think the OP had a reason to post about it in a Jeep Forum? If I had a diesel Jeep and read this, I'd be very thankful to the OP for the heads up. He may have saved a life or three. And I have no doubt the dealership has been notified or will be ASAP. So I don't understand your rude, unhelpful, non contributive, and poorly thought out post.

IDK, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe most prefer endless discussions of tire sizes and Jeep waves, all helpful or entertaining, but to me it's refreshing to read about potential serious issues that affect our chosen vehicles.

Sponsored

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
IDK, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe most prefer endless discussions of tire sizes and Jeep waves, all helpful or entertaining, but to me it's refreshing to read about potential serious issues that affect our chosen vehicles.
I hear you but too many people rush to a forum instead of trying to work with their dealership to get an issue sorted. Wouldn't he be better served by going directly to his dealership FIRST if it is indeed that serious regarding a safety issue? Then you can post about it once you notify the dealership and have some course of action rather than starting an unnecessary panic when none of us actually know what the issue is at the moment.

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
I hear you but too many people rush to a forum instead of trying to work with their dealership to get an issue sorted. Wouldn't he be better served by going directly to his dealership FIRST if it is indeed that serious regarding a safety issue? Then you can post about it once you notify the dealership and have some course of action rather than starting an unnecessary panic when none of us actually know what the issue is at the moment.
"Unnecessary Panic?"...now who's being "overly dramatic?" (your words, my friend, your words).

I find Jeep drivers, as a whole, to be way more level-headed and not prone to "panic" when they read something of concern. They take it to heart, consider all angles, do what they can to mitigate it, and are prepared for it should it happen to them. It's how we deal with Death Wobble for instance.

As for if he thought warning other diesel Jeepers about a potential safety issue before the fix/fault could be hammered out was the right way to do it, my vote is a resounding YES! What if the OP's warning saves a life today?

You have no valid point. You could have scrolled on past this thread. Trying to scare off posters that don't meet your standard is bullying. I bought my first Jeep with my Army enlistment bonus in 1980, I've watched guys like you come and go for decades, the community I love has deteriorated because of infiltration from people that feel like they have to tell everybody else how to be a good Jeeper.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Oil de-rate temp is 260F and coolant de-rate temp is 248F. Exceed those and the engine will pull power to save itself. From reading that Gladiator thread a lot of people have experienced the same issue you described. Heat soak is also a main concern. If you’re going to be going inside gas stations on interstate trips just let the engine idle while you’re inside. Bulletproof Diesel is currently evaluating a fix for the issue, but I think a true fix lies in the form of a larger aluminum radiator and a larger oil cooler.

OP
OP
SalC

SalC

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
"Unnecessary Panic?"...now who's being "overly dramatic?" (your words, my friend, your words).

I find Jeep drivers, as a whole, to be way more level-headed and not prone to "panic" when they read something of concern. They take it to heart, consider all angles, do what they can to mitigate it, and are prepared for it should it happen to them. It's how we deal with Death Wobble for instance.

As for if he thought warning other diesel Jeepers about a potential safety issue before the fix/fault could be hammered out was the right way to do it, my vote is a resounding YES! What if the OP's warning saves a life today?

You have no valid point. You could have scrolled on past this thread. Trying to scare off posters that don't meet your standard is bullying. I bought my first Jeep with my Army enlistment bonus in 1980, I've watched guys like you come and go for decades, the community I love has deteriorated because of infiltration from people that feel like they have to tell everybody else how to be a good Jeeper.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Yes, this is the right place to try to get more information or warn others of a potential problem. I tagged @JeepCares for a reason.

Dealerships are unhelpful around here, and unlikely to help escalate a concern to the NHTSB for a recall effort. Thats what we are here for, to help one another, right?

I'm taking the jeep to the dealer this afternoon and will bring back what I learn, if anything.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
I wonder if the 2.0 has a similar requirement...

No
Sponsored