Sponsored

No power after rest stop. Couldn't get to highway speed on onramp.

OP
OP
SalC

SalC

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
It might be derating due to temperatures…specifically oil temp and/or coolant temp. Pull up the Off Road pages next time you try to duplicate this and see what the temps are if you can duplicate it again
You might be onto something. There are actually instructions in the manual about how long to let the engine idle after running it hard.

Jeep Wrangler JL No power after rest stop. Couldn't get to highway speed on onramp. Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 3.18.59 PM
Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Sounds like the diesel is going into limp mode

Frank013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I saw Casey's video on it, but his circumstances were different. His happened on the trail, with extensive low speed idling. Mine was after an 80 MPH run on the highway (Utah is 80 MPH, God luv em!)
Also happens in this video (10:00 min mark) on the highway as well as the diesel gladiator in front of him

Sponsored

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
It sounds transmission related to me. If you were on the redline and it dosent shift you aren't gonna go any faster. If it's emission related and defueling it won't make it to the redline.

OP
OP
SalC

SalC

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Also happens in this video (10:00 min mark) on the highway as well as the diesel gladiator in front of him

idk, 80 seems fast and 118 seems cool. Is there American closed captioning on this thing? Wacky Canadians and their measuring systems.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
118 degrees C = 244 degrees F
80 Km/hr = 50 mi/hr

Last edited:

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Were you driving through humid areas at a steady rpm for a while? I've had turbocharged gassers do this after sitting on the interstate at a set RPM cruising. The problem on those was condensation building up in the intercooler. upon refueling and getting into boost to get back up to speed on the interstate ite pushed that condensation from the intercooler into the engine. once it cleared that condensation it was back to having full power and never illuminated a CEL.

Sponsored

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
@JeepCares

I need somebody to explain what is happening to my brand new jeep that it tried to kill me and my family for no reason. Here is the exact scenario:

1. Drive at interstate speed for about 60-90 minutes.
  2. Stop at a rest area and turn off the engine
  3. Restart the jeep and head for the onramp (both times the onramp was a slight uphill)
  4. Attempt to gain highway speed
  5. Power is almost nothing, peddle to the floor and the RPM are at redline, speed is about 35 MPH and not climbing.
  6. Get run OFF THE ROAD and onto the median because you cannot achieve highway speeds
  7. Come to a stop, and try to speed up again, this time no problems, gains speed normally
  8. No error codes or warning lights during the event
Pretty much the same thing happened to me two or three times last summer. I assume it has to do with heat. I was stuck at 50mph, or so, for a couple minutes then it ran fine afterward. It has not happened this year. I think it is some sort of limp mode.

Edit: And this was in New Mexico - not humid.

OP
OP
SalC

SalC

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Were you driving through humid areas at a steady rpm for a while? I've had turbocharged gassers do this after sitting on the interstate at a set RPM cruising. The problem on those was condensation building up in the intercooler. upon refueling and getting into boost to get back up to speed on the interstate ite pushed that condensation from the intercooler into the engine. once it cleared that condensation it was back to having full power and never illuminated a CEL.
I lived in Atlanta for over 30 years, so I know this humidity of which you speak. I can tell you that humidity is not a problem here in the desert. Let me know if you are ever in the area, I'll show you some amazing places to wheel!

OP
OP
SalC

SalC

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Pretty much the same thing happened to me two or three times last summer. I assume it has to do with heat. I was stuck at 50mph, or so, for a couple minutes then it ran fine afterward. It has not happened this year. I think it is some sort of limp mode.
Ok so we're on to something. Wouldn't it be great if there was a warning light or message before you do something crazy like try to merge into 80 MPH freeways?

I'm looking at you @JeepCares . Where was the warning that there was a limp mode condition before I risked my family's lives?

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I lived in Atlanta for over 30 years, so I know this humidity of which you speak. I can tell you that humidity is not a problem here in the desert. Let me know if you are ever in the area, I'll show you some amazing places to wheel!
I have family in NM and Amarillo, Texas. I know the dry heat you have too. My old turbo 4 cyl would still do it there, not as bad as home, though. I had a Cobb Accessport on my car, and could seat charge temps out of the intercooler, as well as temp pre intercooler. In my car temp would go into the IC at 170* and exit the IC at 95 (ambient) the much cooling in such a quick amount of time has to leave some water behind. Could be very wrong, too, just sounds very familiar to me.