Sponsored

No power after rest stop. Couldn't get to highway speed on onramp.

SalC

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
@JeepCares

I need somebody to explain what is happening to my brand new jeep that it tried to kill me and my family for no reason. Here is the exact scenario:

1. Drive at interstate speed for about 60-90 minutes.
  2. Stop at a rest area and turn off the engine
  3. Restart the jeep and head for the onramp (both times the onramp was a slight uphill)
  4. Attempt to gain highway speed
  5. Power is almost nothing, peddle to the floor and the RPM are at redline, speed is about 35 MPH and not climbing.
  6. Get run OFF THE ROAD and onto the median because you cannot achieve highway speeds
  7. Come to a stop, and try to speed up again, this time no problems, gains speed normally
  8. No error codes or warning lights during the event

Please don't tell me this is related to emission sensors. I'd hate to think the ECU would rather kill my family than allow for a couple extra carbon ounces to escape.
Sponsored

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Sou
@JeepCares

I need somebody to explain what is happening to my brand new jeep that it tried to kill me and my family for no reason. Here is the exact scenario:...

Please don't tell me this is related to emission sensors. I'd hate to think the ECU would rather kill my family than allow for a couple extra carbon ounces to escape.
Sounds like a transmission issue... was stuck in a low gear.

Extremneon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I have experienced something similar to this also in my Jeep EcoDiesel.

I recently traveled out of town with the Jeep on a 10 hour road trip. Maybe 4 hours into the trip I stopped at gas station to use the restroom and shut the Jeep off when I went inside. Upon leaving and entering the highway and catching up to speed the Jeep had no power at all. Even while pressing the accelerator to floor it would hardly gain speed past 35 mph…. After a few miles or so it started working again and had the normal power.I have seen few things talking about this and thought it had something due with temperature and the ECU basically going into safe mode until it cools down. I believe Casey250 has had some of them same issues with his diesel while reaching certain temp.

I would be curious if there was something that could be programmed to have the fan to continue to run on the Jeep after you shut it off to help cool the motor for a period of time. Would make since that after running for awhile shutting it off briefly and then Jumping back in the temps to jump up without airflow to the motor.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I tried putting it in manual and shifting up but still not enough power to gain speed.
I was just going to ask if you had it manual mode accidentally, but there goes my theory. 😉

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
@JeepCares

I need somebody to explain what is happening to my brand new jeep that it tried to kill me and my family for no reason. Here is the exact scenario:

3. Restart the jeep and head for the onramp (both times the onramp was a slight uphill)
  5. Power is almost nothing, peddle to the floor and the RPM are at redline, speed is about 35 MPH and not climbing.
  6. Get run OFF THE ROAD and onto the median because you cannot achieve highway speeds
  7. Come to a stop, and try to speed up again, this time no problems, gains speed normally

Just to be clear, it doesn't sound like it lacked power, but I'm asking, not telling.

If it was at redline it had no more power to give. Sounds like a transmission/electronics issue. If the engine was at redline and it was maxed at 35mph it would seem it's stuck in first gear. If you know the RPM of redline (~7,000 rpm), and your rear axle ratio (3.45:1, 3.73:1, 4.1:1), and your 1st gear ratio (4.7:1) and your tire height (30, 31, 33") you can calculate any of the other numbers.

VolvDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR / 08 F350
Not certain by any means, but having had experience with a DEF filter on another vehicle i wonder if the computer is going into a limp mode due to needing to go through a regeneration cycle. Isn't getting the airflow it needs and creating some unexpected behavior.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
@JeepCares

So sorry to have to go through this and I'm glad you are your family are all safe! I'm about to pull a trigger and special order my Jeep and these stories freak me out. One thought I have is to try to capture it on video or by trying some sort of those code readers that plug to your OBDII port. Once you capture the event, you can have a much easier time convincing a dealer of it. And if it happens repeatedly without the dealer being able to replicate or fix it, you can demand your money back under Lemon law. Best of luck with this! I hope your dealer can fix it.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Not certain by any means, but having had experience with a DEF filter on another vehicle i wonder if the computer is going into a limp mode due to needing to go through a regeneration cycle. Isn't getting the airflow it needs and creating some unexpected behavior.
It is interesting you say that. I was starting to think this event may be a computer thinking, at least for a moment, that the engine needs a regen or that it is not meeting emission. I would think if the way the driver operates the vehicle is such that it can not complete a full regen cycle, the computer would force a full regen after a few aborted attempts. There should be a clear message telling the driver to keep the car running because regen is in process.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Dash cam. I’d seriously consider getting one installed ASAP, preferably one with GPS so you can record speed in video. You’ll want to have video of the incident to send to Jeep. Or at the very least, your insurance company if it leads to a wreck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SalC

SalC

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
It is interesting you say that. I was starting to think this event may be a computer thinking, at least for a moment, that the engine needs a regen or that it is not meeting emission. I would think if the way the driver operates the vehicle is such that it can not complete a full regen cycle, the computer would force a full regen after a few aborted attempts. There should be a clear message telling the driver to keep the car running because regen is in process.
It's definitely related to emissions, but the regen process is to run is at highway speed for a period of time, which is the beginning stage of the incident.

OP
OP
SalC

SalC

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Dash cam. I’d seriously consider getting one installed ASAP, preferably one with GPS so you can record speed in video. You’ll want to have video of the incident to send to Jeep. Or at the very least, your insurance company if it leads to a wreck.
I'm going to see if I can replicate it with a gopro in the cabin.

OP
OP
SalC

SalC

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I have experienced something similar to this also in my Jeep EcoDiesel.

I recently traveled out of town with the Jeep on a 10 hour road trip. Maybe 4 hours into the trip I stopped at gas station to use the restroom and shut the Jeep off when I went inside. Upon leaving and entering the highway and catching up to speed the Jeep had no power at all. Even while pressing the accelerator to floor it would hardly gain speed past 35 mph…. After a few miles or so it started working again and had the normal power.I have seen few things talking about this and thought it had something due with temperature and the ECU basically going into safe mode until it cools down. I believe Casey250 has had some of them same issues with his diesel while reaching certain temp.

I would be curious if there was something that could be programmed to have the fan to continue to run on the Jeep after you shut it off to help cool the motor for a period of time. Would make since that after running for awhile shutting it off briefly and then Jumping back in the temps to jump up without airflow to the motor.
I saw Casey's video on it, but his circumstances were different. His happened on the trail, with extensive low speed idling. Mine was after an 80 MPH run on the highway (Utah is 80 MPH, God luv em!)

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
It's definitely related to emissions, but the regen process is to run is at highway speed for a period of time, which is the beginning stage of the incident.
There should be some kind of notification that the engine is regenerating. As it stands now, if you get a message, the regeneration has been interrupted too many times, which is already too late.

I monitor soot levels and regeneration status through Scangauge II. I believe there's a Banks module which does this as well.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
It might be derating due to temperatures…specifically oil temp and/or coolant temp. Pull up the Off Road pages next time you try to duplicate this and see what the temps are if you can duplicate it again
Sponsored