Sponsored

No power after rest stop. Couldn't get to highway speed on onramp.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Sounds like a great way to get your Jeep stolen, not to mention that leaving your car running unattended is illegal in most states.

Florida Statute 316.1975: A person driving or in charge of any motor vehicle may not permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, and removing the key. A vehicle may not be permitted to stand unattended upon any perceptible grade without stopping the engine and effectively setting the brake thereon and turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the street. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.​
Lol keep coloring inside the lines if it makes you feel better. Leave it idling, take your fob and lock it. When you’re done unlock it, hop back in and go. My F250 diesel never shuts off on road trips or when towing. Leave it idling and locked up. Never had an issue or had anyone even attempt to steal it
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Overly dramatic, yes. I'm trying to get somebody at @JeepCares to see it and maybe start a conversation...so far nothing.
Feel free to send our team a private message if you'd like to discuss your situation further, SalC.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
SalC

SalC

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Feel free to send our team a private message if you'd like to discuss your situation further, SalC.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Thanks Kate. In the interest of transparency for the folks on the thread, what is your theory on my incident? Should we be more aware of this condition for diesel engines?

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
You can't just pull into a rest area and turn off the engine.
With the current generation Macks, you absolutely can. It just won't actually obey your command until it has idled itself down and cooled itself off. I think more diesel vehicles should adopt that strategy.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
Would it be better for me to just deal with my one Jeep, or try to warn others that there are serious issues which could leave you without power just when you need it the most.

This wreck happened near the same part of I-15 as my incident. I'm not saying it's related, but I don't want anyone to end up like this.

“The semi was traveling approximately 75 mph,” Street said in a news release. “The Jeep was traveling significantly slower than the semi.”
The semi driver didn’t realize the Jeep was going as slowly as it was, the news release says, and the semi rear-ended the Jeep.
Troopers are investigating the possibility that the Jeep may have been traveling slowly on the shoulder of the road and merged in front of the semi, according to the news release.

https://gephardtdaily.com/local/upd...r-jeep-hit-by-semi-on-i-15-near-kanarraville/

1630428452036.png
that sucks and hope everyone was ok, but, people do so much stupid shit around semi's and expect them to stop on a dime. GUESS WHAT THEY CANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. my dad drove a semi for a living. the load plus the truck was over 100,000 lbs combined. try stopping that fast without wrecking because some jackass pulled out in front of you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SalC

SalC

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
The problem is the lack of any warning message.

And yes, the post title is absolutely overly dramatic. But that’s not uncommon around here. Lots of clickbaity titles.
Ok, I fixed the title.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
my dad drove a semi for a living. the load plus the truck was over 100,000 lbs combined. try stopping that fast without wrecking because some jackass pulled out in front of you.
Hummm....unless your dad regularly broke the law or applied for a hard to get special exemption permit, I don't think so. The MCGVW of a semi (truck + load) is 80,000lbs, unless it is an EV truck which gets some allowance to go slightly above 80,000lbs.

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
You can't just pull into a rest area and turn off the engine.
When I pull into an interstate rest area, (and when I pull into a fuel station after driving on the interstate) I let it idle for a few minutes per the owners' manual AND I open the hood BEFORE I shut off the engine. I keep the hood open until I'm ready to restart. I do this because I believe that reducing the heat extends the life of my ecoDiesel engine; I now realize that it also helps avoid going into limp mode when I restart the engine.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Sounds like a great way to get your Jeep stolen, not to mention that leaving your car running unattended is illegal in most states.

Florida Statute 316.1975: A person driving or in charge of any motor vehicle may not permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, and removing the key. A vehicle may not be permitted to stand unattended upon any perceptible grade without stopping the engine and effectively setting the brake thereon and turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the street. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.​

Part two of the same law specifically exempts the proposed situation where one would lock the doors and go inside to use the restroom. How do they know you didn't remote start it?

(2) This section does not apply to the operator of:

(a) An authorized emergency vehicle while in the performance of official duties and the vehicle is equipped with an activated antitheft device that prohibits the vehicle from being driven;
(b) A licensed delivery truck or other delivery vehicle while making deliveries;
(c) A solid waste or recovered materials collection vehicle while collecting such items;  or
(d) A vehicle that is started by remote control while the ignition, transmission, and doors are locked.
Further, there isn't a cop who will actually cite you for that under normal circumstances. They only reason they are is if you are deliberately abusing it such as running a vehicle for hours on end... I mean it's Florida so under certain racial circumstances a cop would probably cite someone for every law they can think of...

As others have said - there are many of us who are used to diesels which will (especially when towing, but for me any time I have been just running it for any length of steady-state time) leave our trucks running and doors locked etc when running in to the restroom or similar. I've even done it at high-risk places like Richmond, CA with my F350 - which is astonishingly easy to steal when it's locked and not running... The reality is that yes the world sucks but you aren't much more likely for something to happen to you under normal circumstances, than you are to win one of the multi-state lotteries.

What the OP experienced is a bitter and sucky experience, but for all we armchair mechanics know could have been prevented by a little more education on the platform (however keep in mind that it is also quite possible that something is wrong with their equipment.) Many people in the US have no diesel experience and don't realize that it is an entirely different engine with much different maintenance and operation considerations. Did you realize that one of the things that manufacturers actually factor into the upgrade cost of every diesel sold is the potential warranty risk of someone putting gasoline instead of diesel into their tank?

Last edited:

Sponsored

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

As a likely stage 1 disable or stage 2 delete person, I'm curious if either can be expected to mitigate (or make worse) the heat soak issue.

Does anybody have experience in this regard?
As someone who doesn't understand the emissions delete crowd (haven't we fucked our planet enough?) I would like to point out that the cooldown is about turbo and oil temperatures, not emissions. If you aren't deleting your turbo, how do you expect something that is intended to mitigate thermal working of the turbo to go away when you remove a separate system that has little impact on how much your turbo is working... One could even argue that if anything, the increased cycling of your turbo and reduced cycling times (due to lower backpressure) would increase the need to cool-down your turbo if you did an emissions modification, however the reality is that the numbers are likely to be insubstantial.

Beetroot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Medical Devices
Pretty standard to leave a diesel running for short stops. Or just try to keep it out of boost for the last few minutes before a planned stop if you want to shut it down.

Not common practice for people who aren't used to diesel vehicles though. Seems like Jeep could solve all of this by building in a turbo timer.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks Kate. In the interest of transparency for the folks on the thread, what is your theory on my incident? Should we be more aware of this condition for diesel engines?
Sadly, I am not a trained techncian SalC, so I am unable to provide theories or speculate on repairs. Moving forward, if you are working with a dealer or about to work with a dealer, we can provide added assistance. We are in private message as stated to discuss further with you.

Kate
Jeep Cares

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Been following this thread closely as I've got a diesel on order. Food for thought regarding the 1 minute cool down - Having driven several diesels in the past, the only time I was really concerned about allowing the turbo to cool down was when pulling large trailers. When refueling I'd let it idle while refueling, then pull off to the side and shut down if I needed to go in. If I was stopping somewhere without refueling I'd take a bit longer than usual, maybe idle around the parking lot to the spot I was going to stop and maybe let it idle for a bit longer.

My reasoning was this - when coming off the freeway to do anything, you're braking, idling, slowing down, and not under load. The turbo is cooling down during this timeframe which should be considered when thinking about letting it idle for a short time.

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Not certain by any means, but having had experience with a DEF filter on another vehicle i wonder if the computer is going into a limp mode due to needing to go through a regeneration cycle. Isn't getting the airflow it needs and creating some unexpected behavior.
Does the diesel need to regen? Generally diesels are tuned to either produce nox or particulate. Since the jeel diesel uses def it was tuned to make more nox. Regen is usually on a diesel tuned to make particulate and is needed to burn the spot off the particulate filter. Granted my experience is all on highway trucks and off-road so curious if consumer diesels are different.
Sponsored