Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I don’t mean to be insulting, but do read the news or just tried and Google search? It’s effecting all simi-conductor manufacturing across all industries. Apple has specific mentioned how it is effecting some of their iOS lines.

.https://www.wsj.com/articles/expanding-from-autos-to-appliances-and-sex-toys-the-chip-shortage-is-far-reaching-11619783117
No insult taken. I keep up with the news. They are saying it's from a shutdown in the first half of 2020. I'm just not buying it. All the grocery stores stayed open, Home Depot, Lowes, cars were still manufactured, etc. Seems like all the 'shortages' are intentional...paper goods, meat, gas, semi-conductors.
Next will be a water shortage. Look into it, the CEO of Nestle thinks we should all pay him for water. Bill Gates and China buying up all the farm land.
Sponsored

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
No insult taken. I keep up with the news. They are saying it's from a shutdown in the first half of 2020. I'm just not buying it. All the grocery stores stayed open, Home Depot, Lowes, cars were still manufactured, etc. Seems like all the 'shortages' are intentional...paper goods, meat, gas, semi-conductors.
Next will be a water shortage. Look into it, the CEO of Nestle thinks we should all pay him for water. Bill Gates and China buying up all the farm land.
it's not just the shutdown. There was a fire in a major chip making plant as well.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Fires in multiple mega plants, because of massive earth quakes.
Three other things to pile onto this:

#1) The Texas winter storm/shutdown has also impacted many, many industries globally.

#2) I have heard that it takes about 6mos for a chip plant to fully come back online after being shutdown for various reasons

#3) Orders would have normally been placed during the early part of the pandemic when most corporations were betting on a full-blown depression. Automakers didn't account for anywhere near the demand they're currently seeing

The chip shortage is very real (trust me - we're feeling it in other industries). The biggest question is what chip is required, what is the current production, and what is the current supply (along with what company/industry carries the biggest stick)

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
My dealer just told me I can't order a 4xe. All of their 4xe orders are being cancelled due to a lack of computer chips. He had one on the lot but it's a Sahara and I wanted a Rubicon this time around. Also, it didn't have the advanced safety group, which I really wanted. I have the radar speed control and auto emergency braking now on my 19 and really like a lot. SO now what?.
Check on Cargurus .com 0 miles to nationwide you might be able to find what your looking for on there .

pcsquared

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4xe
fwiw, I ordered a 2021 4xe on 5/24, got a vin 5/25, was in D1 as of 5/29 with a scheduled delivery date of 6/10 (optimistic i feel like, but we'll see).

Three Massachusetts dealers were extremely unhelpful with the process (from "we cant do orders" to "special orders cost an extra $2000 on top of msrp"). I ordered from Gupton without an issue. It was great.

OP
OP
GGolds

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
fwiw, I ordered a 2021 4xe on 5/24, got a vin 5/25, was in D1 as of 5/29 with a scheduled delivery date of 6/10 (optimistic i feel like, but we'll see).

Three Massachusetts dealers were extremely unhelpful with the process (from "we cant do orders" to "special orders cost an extra $2000 on top of msrp"). I ordered from Gupton without an issue. It was great.
DONE. Placed order on Monday for a 4XE Rubicon in Hydro Blue. Very excited.

OP
OP
GGolds

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
UPDATE!. Monday, my order went through. 4XE Rubicon JLU in Hydro Blue. Can't wait!!.

pcsquared

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4xe
DONE. Placed order on Monday for a 4XE Rubicon in Hydro Blue. Very excited.
🤝 congrats! mine is fully built and waiting for a full shipping load or QA as of this afternoon. With the other posts in this forum mentioning that the next model year might be announced a little further out, i feel more OK with my order now vs. later.

On top of that, In MA we have an excise tax for vehicles that is assessed based on the book value at $25 per $1000 of value and paid to the municipality you live in. The amount is then adjusted based on the year of manufacture:
  1. In the year preceding the designated year of manufacture (released before model year) - 50%
  2. In the designated year of manufacture - 90%
  3. In the second year - 60%
  4. In the third year - 40%
  5. In the fourth year - 25
  6. In the fifth and succeeding years -10%
So for me, not taking delivery on a later year model in the year before its released will save me a few bucks... I'm fortunate to be in a position to say it's not a huge deal were I charged for it, but its still a thing to keep in mind if i'm thinking total cost.

Enjoy your jeep!
Sponsored