Sponsored

No one will admit it, but here goes.....

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Price is important to some people, not to others. Personally, I would never, ever pay msrp for a new vehicle. Never have, never will. Part of the thing that makes me happy about buying a new car is feeling like I got a great deal. Paying msrp would leave me with serious buyer's remorse.
Sponsored

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
I don’t have a problem with paying sticker and staying local, however I will not pay above msrp and will not pay for dealer add ons like paint protection or some bogus gimmick crap that they can’t prove was put on it in the first place.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I like trying different cars. I want to pay as much under invoice as possible. It adds up quickly.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Price is important to some people, not to others. Personally, I would never, ever pay msrp for a new vehicle. Never have, never will. Part of the thing that makes me happy about buying a new car is feeling like I got a great deal. Paying msrp would leave me with serious buyer's remorse.
That was exactly my balance for most of my vehicle-buying years. Now I’m old, I have a little more money, and I have a LOT less time to enjoy it, so my balance has shifted. I still don’t want to leave money on the table because I’m uninformed or easy to scam, but I can twist my own arm into paying more to enjoy the toy now, because I might not get a chance to enjoy it later.

There are lots of Jeep dealers. If a couple let me walk at the price I offer I know I’m not offering a super fat deal. That’s good enough for me.

captainkoz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
A dealer in Jacksonville, FL tried to charge me 5k over MSRP (“market adjustment”) last weekend for a new JLUR. They can get bent. I’ll keep my 2 door!
a dealer in Sarasota wanted to charge me 3000 over for market adjustment. The would not even honor EP pricing which I get since my dad retired from Chrysler. That is a big no no, they cant turn down an EP price sale. Anyways, i had some business in Central NY, so I went there to a dealer I always use. Got my Sahara Unlimited Altitude loaded that stickered for 57K out the door at 51K..

Sponsored

syismaster1

First Name
Sy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
a dealer in Sarasota wanted to charge me 3000 over for market adjustment. The would not even honor EP pricing which I get since my dad retired from Chrysler. That is a big no no, they cant turn down an EP price sale. Anyways, i had some business in Central NY, so I went there to a dealer I always use. Got my Sahara Unlimited Altitude loaded that stickered for 57K out the door at 51K..
For my Jeep Order every dealer in or near Tampa would not budge below 1k markup not including the $999 "dealer fee" they charge and going to Gupton I saved almost 7500 out the door including taxes dealer fees etc.
Travel including flight and hotel is 460 so 7k savings still. I will GLADLY make the trip during a weekend for that much saving.
I understand the market for all cars is crazy but like that much difference is insane.
I went to see a new Defender and it had a 50k markup and sold the same day it arrived. Absolutely ridiculous

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I ordered everything I wanted and nothing I didn't want and was prepared to pay the sticker price. I figure, I got way more money than usual for my trade in (who drives a car for three years and then can sell it for 6k less than it was purchased for?) so it all comes around...
Well, not to brag, but.......you asked the question lol

I have been a big NSX fan since I was a youngster, it was my dream car and in the early 2000's they finally became affordable as you could pick one up in the $30K range.....

I have had three of them since and never sold one for less than I paid for it...every time

It made it easier to convince the boss when it came time to buy them, that is for sure.

My last one I bought in 2014 for $25K ...which was a smoking deal to say the least and found it locally from the original owner( my first one I flew to Oregon and drove it home almost exactly 1000 mile trip)

I got a Porsche bug all the sudden and decided to sell the NSX a couple years ago and like every time I did sale one I regret it a little bit.....but it made it easier after I sold it for $43K after enjoying it for over 5 years.....granted I did put about $10K into her in mods and maintenance , but $7K profit after five years is pretty damn solid on a car I bought for $25K five years prior.

It was a 1992 black on black 5 speed with 120K miles bone stock when I bought it....it was wrapped white with 144K miles when I sold her

Jeep Wrangler JL No one will admit it, but here goes..... 39934999245_4aa08cb811_z

Last edited:

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
but $7K profit after five years is pretty damn solid on a car I bought for $25K five years prior.
I am not picking on you, but everybody's a genius in an economic bubble. I'm more interested in what happens when the whole market melts down, which is inevitable. People are dumb. They think we're in some new paradigm. There's nothing new under the sun, and people are in debt up to their eyeballs and were enjoying free money raining down from heaven. That's all going away.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I am not picking on you, but everybody's a genius in an economic bubble. I'm more interested in what happens when the whole market melts down, which is inevitable. People are dumb. They think we're in some new paradigm. There's nothing new under the sun, and people are in debt up to their eyeballs and were enjoying free money raining down from heaven. That's all going away.
Like I said, I sold this two years ago....well before people even heard of corona virus and the chip shortage that has driven the used car market to crazy heights...wasn't the first one I sold for profit, but by far the best profit....wish I would have waited cuz they're even crazier prices today for those cars

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Yep. It’s all going away, and sooner rather than later. Scary thought, as people were already buried in debt, as is our country, and we continue to spend like drunken sailors.

Boats and RVs have always been among the fastest depreciating assets. The retail margins on them are very large, and, unlike cars, they’re “non-essential” goods. A month ago I sold a 16 year old welded aluminum river-jet-boat for $1500 more than it cost new. The dealership where I bought our motorhome has sold out of new inventory and they’re interested in buying our coach back from us for much more than we paid, because the used ones are currently selling for as much as $70,000 or $80,000 more than we paid for our coach new 30 months ago. We love our RV, but my smarter self is telling me we should sell all of our vehicles, wait for the crash, and replace what we want with newer versions then. If I was fifteen years younger I’d probably do it. It’s crazy-town today, but the bubble will burst when the world gets back to work, as most of the fundamentals driving pricing structure have changed very little. The only thing that will remain is enormous “negative equity” (unrecoverable debt).

Sponsored

idlingmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Local Jeep dealership here in Northern California only had a couple of Rubicon's available and had them marked up $10,000. Went to one of the recommended dealers here and got $5,8xx off invoice. After taxes, that's a difference of $17,000 on a $50,xxx deal. Yes, seriously, over ONE THIRD more.

gus2k

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Local Jeep dealership here in Northern California only had a couple of Rubicon's available and had them marked up $10,000. Went to one of the recommended dealers here and got $5,8xx off invoice. After taxes, that's a difference of $17,000 on a $50,xxx deal. Yes, seriously, over ONE THIRD more.
Thanks for sharing! Would you mind DM'ing me which dealer your selected? I'm in the same boat in northern CA - just got back from (unsuccessfully) trying to give a local dealer the business, wouldn't budge on huge markup; so now putting together a custom build + road trip.. :)

idlingmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
It was Kent @ Peterson Jeep in Nampa, ID. Loads of forum members go through him. For the price difference I can definitely fly over and drive for a day. It's the closest dealer you're likely to find a "deal" with.

Thanks for sharing! Would you mind DM'ing me which dealer your selected? I'm in the same boat in northern CA - just got back from (unsuccessfully) trying to give a local dealer the business, wouldn't budge on huge markup; so now putting together a custom build + road trip.. :)

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
a dealer in Sarasota wanted to charge me 3000 over for market adjustment. The would not even honor EP pricing which I get since my dad retired from Chrysler. That is a big no no, they cant turn down an EP price sale.
I've also been recently turned down for EP pricing by a local dealer. Didn't think that was possible...

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
Well, not to brag, but.......you asked the question lol

I have been a big NSX fan since I was a youngster, it was my dream car and in the early 2000's they finally became affordable as you could pick one up in the $30K range.....

I have had three of them since and never sold one for less than I paid for it...every time

It made it easier to convince the boss when it came time to buy them, that is for sure.

My last one I bought in 2014 for $25K ...which was a smoking deal to say the least and found it locally from the original owner( my first one I flew to Oregon and drove it home almost exactly 1000 mile trip)

I got a Porsche bug all the sudden and decided to sell the NSX a couple years ago and like every time I did sale one I regret it a little bit.....but it made it easier after I sold it for $43K after enjoying it for over 5 years.....granted I did put about $10K into her in mods and maintenance , but $7K profit after five years is pretty damn solid on a car I bought for $25K five years prior.

It was a 1992 black on black 5 speed with 120K miles bone stock when I bought it....it was wrapped white with 144K miles when I sold her

Jeep Wrangler JL No one will admit it, but here goes..... 39934999245_4aa08cb811_z
Okay - let me clarify LOL. Who buys a brand new Hyundai (I don't want to hear it from any snobs out there - it was a responsible car coming out of a divorce and having to pay the mortgage myself - so the 335i went bye-bye) and then is able to sell it for only 6k less than purchased after 3.5 years. Now - I would never in a million years put my little gutless Tucson up to an NSX (beautiful car btw) which is arguably somewhat of a collector's car. The post was less about my prowess as a deal maker than a commentary about the fortunate times that we find ourselves in with respect to used car values. And it was because of this that I didn't care that I paid full price for my Jeep. ✌🏼 ❤
Sponsored