Sponsored

No one will admit it, but here goes.....

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Because south Florida dealers suck, I'll probably do the Gupton deal.

I will have to wait 6 weeks, then fly 2 hours into Nashville, then drive 900 miles back with at least 2 nights in hotels. But I get to pass by some great trails in southern TN and northern GA if I want a detour, which sort of makes up for the driving.... Sorta.

The $7500 saved will pay for all my gas for 4 years. At every fill up, I'll think about that great drive through the Smokies... and the big F-U to the local dealers.

UPDATE: I found a similar (but not quite as good) deal 600 miles closer, in Florida
Sponsored

Last edited:

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
Because south Florida dealers suck, I'll probably do the Gupton deal.

I will have to wait 6 weeks, then fly 2 hours into Nashville, then drive 900 miles back with at least 2 nights in hotels. But I get to pass by some great trails in southern TN and northern GA if I want a detour, which sort of makes up for the driving.... Sorta.

The $7500 saved will pay for all my gas for 4 years. At every fill up, I'll think about that great drive through the Smokies... and the big F-U to the local dealers.
Did u really save $7500? Wow! šŸ‘šŸ½

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Did u really save $7500? Wow! šŸ‘šŸ½
Well, ymmv... it depends on what you buy (it s a percentage off MRSP). For me its actually $6500 off msrp, but since I am comparing to south Florida dealers, I include the $1,000 'dealer fee' that Gupton doesn't charge.

Here's a taste from a couple of fine south Florida establishments, in print so small you can sense their embarrassment for printing it. Note the 'any dealer-installed accessories' clauses, reserved for fabric protectant, etching and other useless crap:

Price is plus tax, tag, title, registration, any dealer-installed accessories, and a pre-delivery service fee of $998, Private Tag Agency Fee of $184, and Electronic Registration Filing Fee of $199.

Vehicle pricing includes all factory incentives and listed rebates. Tax, Title, Registration, and $995.00 dealer fee not included in vehicle price shown and must be paid by the purchaser. Dealer installed accessories may increase actual cost of vehicle.​

I completely understand why some pay msrp, like the OP. I get that some people don't have the time to take a few days off work to save some cash (lose money to save money) or even want to spend 900 highway miles in a Wrangler Rubicon, but there's more to it beyond paying msrp and bs dealer fees.

What bugs me the most is we're talking about a factory ordered item, where in many cases the customers already know exactly what they want and don't even need a test drive. Literally 10 minutes of the salesperson's time to take a deposit and type in an order on a screen for a car they didn't have to pre-buy and pay interest on, or pay insurance on, or take up space while it sits on a lot. Heck, it may actually help their allocation numbers for the next year even if they made $0 profit.

I started looking yonder. Road trip!

Last edited:

Bard

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
WI has great consumer laws. What was your build and msrp? I will contact them for a quote. Thanks.
Black rubicon, tan leather seats, dual top, aux, cold weather, body match fenders, xtreme recon package. Think it was about 60 msrp and 55k sale price. Specified a pretty basic setup. Greg lider was my salesman

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
So I paid msrp on a new 2021 wrangler Rubicon 6 speed, 2 door. There , I said it! I wanted/needed a new jeepā€¦
As others have said, these are crazy times. Car and RV dealers in my area have been paying 2019 retail numbers to buy used inventory, because theyā€™re struggling to find inventory to sell. As always, itā€™s a supply and demand thing. Maybe weā€™ll return to better pricing in 2022, maybe we wonā€™t, but youā€˜ll be driving the Jeep you wanted instead of sweating it out to save a few bucks. You made the right decision.

This inventory shortage is a national phenomenon, so traveling to buy probably wouldnā€˜t have been worth the effort. That wasnā€™t the case when I bought my Raptor: Most Northwest dealers had $7500 to $10,000 additional markup on the window stickers, while dealers in other parts of the country didnā€™t. I offered MSRP to our local mega-dealer and they countered with MSRP plus $5k. I had the same experience ot the dealer 50 miles from home, so I shopped eBay, found exactly what I wanted at a dealership in Maine, paid MSRP for it, and flew out there to get it. My wife and I turned it into a vacation, as weā€™d never been to some of the northeast states. With the cost of the trip we only saved about $1400, but we saw some beautiful country, met some nice people, and had a great adventure. The small person in me also found some joy in flipping our local dealer the bird, because the sales manager had been such a smug jerk when he rejected my MSRP offer. :like:

I wish Iā€™d been able to buy the Raptor for less, of course, but the value of the truck has actually increased since COVID. If The current shortage gets worse that could happen with your new jeep too. Either way, youā€™ll love it, and youā€™ve joined a great community.

Sponsored

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
There is nothing special about MSRP. Some pay it, a few pay more , and many pay less. Its an arbitrary number invented by the marketing group to get the ball rolling. Pre-COVID Wranglers were being discounted. Once inventories started to clear, the prices went up.

I find it strange some folks have a strict personal rule that they will never ever ever pay over MSRP but will absolutely have no issues paying under. So much for conviction ;p

Granada

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
I ordered factory.direct, I wish they had a 2 Dr rubi with stick on the lot....said I should have Her by Sept, or 8 weeks....no I didn't get gorilla glass, I want my jeep before it snows.
Who did you order from? I grew up out that way. The dealers I talked to at this end of the state wouldn't move off of MSRP except for tread lightly and then only on orders.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Tried them on one of their ā€œin transitā€ JLURs and they were not really any better once ALL the number were said and done. They made up most of the discount via charging over the loan ā€œbuy rateā€ and would not budge on the loan fees. If I was paying ā€œcashā€ then their deal would have been good.

Yes I paid my dealership MSRP on my ordered 2021 JLUR but in-lue negotiating the price down, I worked on making them give me the loan ā€œbuy rateā€ (which I managed acquired prior to ā€œgoing inā€). If I was paying them MSRP, they were making plenty of profit and I was NOT going to give them markup on the interest rate or loan fees.

Worked out to be a wash. Not a great deal but a fair deal for both parties. They made a money and I did not pay over what I wanted for the Jeep.
you need to be ordering one though - weā€™re you working with Rob?

I canā€™t comment on the buy rate currently as mine was a couple of years ago but I was offered the buy rate. Try a good credit union - like Delta Community Credit Union - last I looked they were at 1.98% for 5 years.

no reason to pay MSRP if you order one through rob. Many others have.

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Bought my Jeep in March and it was roughly 9k off sticker before TTT - this was off the lot exactly what I wanted with a few things I wouldn't have ordered but that's ok. Fast forward 4 months and my wife wants to order a Jeep - nothing on the lots and what is on the lots even at the big dealers is marked up over MSRP (totally wild...). So we order her Jeep and while it wasn't the same total dollar figure off it is pretty damn close from a percentages standpoint. Still deals to be had out there but you gotta order and you gotta wait =)

I definitely consider myself fortunate to live 'near' Koons. I would have otherwise paid MSRP at the local dealer for mine and my wife's but doubt we would have gotten two Jeeps - ok well maybe we would have anyway =) I would have been ok with paying MSRP for my Jeep if I absolutely had to because I think they are worth it personally.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
So I paid msrp on a new 2021 wrangler Rubicon 6 speed, 2 door. There , I said it! I wanted/needed a new jeep and I wasn't about to wait around and see if prices come down on the 2022. I wasn't about to travel across the country for a "great" deal and every dealer within my vicinity (150 MI) all were at msrp....no deals! Sure I could have said no and bought a Tacoma but I wanted a Rubicon. I wanted a bare bones rig without all the add ons and doo-dads. The only extras I added was the premium soft top($595) and mopar grab handles and sill guards(130). I am excited to take delivery needless to say and start the mods! I haven't signed anything so maybe I can still haggle this guy down a grand. If not I want to try my luck at asking to swap new 33" stock rubber that comes standard for a new set of 35" tires even Steven....
Any body else pay msrp on their rig......my quote otd was $42600 if anybody wants to know.
On a side note, I wonder if anybody has ever ordered a stock rubi like I did and if they got the proverbial 8% below invoice, that's like a new rubi for like 35k!....yeah rite.

I paid MSRP for my 392. Yep, I would do it again. Well worth it to ME. I did not want to wait to order one, and it was the best deal I could find from a dealer that had one in stock. Multiple other dealers I contacted wanted ADM.

Sam

Sponsored

THorner

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR Diesel, 79 J10, 06 XLR, Ducati 999 & ST4
Occupation
Retired
I used my Tread Lightly 1% off dealer invoice. $4,580 under MSRP. Best I could do, my dealer sells at MSRP right now, and I actually like the parts and service departments.

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
  • I bought my JLUR in December 2018 for $47K; it was a factory order so I got/didn't get every option I wanted/didn't want. That $47K was somewhere between invoice and MSRP at the time. It wasn't the best deal in the world, but I'm friends with the owner of the dealership so I wasn't going to argue over nickels and dimes. I think I can trade it in now for around the same $47K but would lose my tires/wheels AND shudder to think of the cost of a 2021 or 2022 the way I built it!
  • I've bought trucks in Virginia before, and the hassles with Certificate of Origin, zip code radius restrictions on dealership loans, and converting to a NYS title were a nightmare. Saved about $3000 each time though.
  • I actually have had the clutch recalls done at a closer Jeep dealership and I change my own oil/tire rotations, etc so local dealer service wasn't a factor, this time I just wanted the comfort of doing business with a friend.
  • Enjoy your new Jeep! This was my first Jeep, and what I can tell you after 2+ years is that they are a LOT more fun to drive than a pickup truck :)

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S Billet Silver
I paid MSRP but I also got about $2K more in trade in value than I think my trade was actually worth so was super on that side of the equation.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
So I paid msrp on a new 2021 wrangler Rubicon 6 speed, 2 door. There , I said it! I wanted/needed a new jeep and I wasn't about to wait around and see if prices come down on the 2022. I wasn't about to travel across the country for a "great" deal and every dealer within my vicinity (150 MI) all were at msrp....no deals! Sure I could have said no and bought a Tacoma but I wanted a Rubicon. I wanted a bare bones rig without all the add ons and doo-dads. The only extras I added was the premium soft top($595) and mopar grab handles and sill guards(130). I am excited to take delivery needless to say and start the mods! I haven't signed anything so maybe I can still haggle this guy down a grand. If not I want to try my luck at asking to swap new 33" stock rubber that comes standard for a new set of 35" tires even Steven....
Any body else pay msrp on their rig......my quote otd was $42600 if anybody wants to know.
On a side note, I wonder if anybody has ever ordered a stock rubi like I did and if they got the proverbial 8% below invoice, that's like a new rubi for like 35k!....yeah rite.
People pay MSRP on vehicles all the time, not just Jeeps. Where is your concern?
Sponsored