First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys sport mt, 1990 F-350 Diesel mt
Occupation
Retired firefighter
Just did first oil change drained 5quarts out put filter and 5 quarts in. Ran engine for 1 minute. No oil on dipstick ?
Sponsored

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
Maybe you didn't push the dip stick all the way down (trying to be positive). Otherwise, did you forget to insert and tighten the plug or new filter? Perhaps your new oil is on the ground. Else, did you account for the oil that was in the filter? Perhaps you put it in the wrong hole, what color is your coolant?

OP
OP
Montana back roads
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired firefighter
Just did first oil change drained 5quarts out put filter and 5 quarts in. Ran engine for 1 minute. No oil on dipstick ?
Plug tight, filter good, dipstick fully seated ,oil in correct port. 5 quarts correct amount with filter.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
are you positive? the new oil is very light in color, hard to see, use a paper towel. Did you check the oil pressure when you ran the engine?

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
Make sure you are on level ground, wipe the dipstick off really good so its dry with a paper towel. Insert all the way and remove, check in sunlight or even use a piece of paper towel to run down and see if it gets wet. The new oil like noted above will be almost transparent.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Montana back roads
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired firefighter
are you positive? the new oil is very light in color, hard to see, use a paper towel. Did you check the oil pressure when you ran the engine?
I have checked oil every gas up and oil checked out fine. I used a paper towel. I know correct amount is in so I’m not going to worry about it. Thanks for your replies.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Did you forget to screw in the drain plug? Maybe all the new oil is in the pan.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Sourdough, your reply made me laugh out loud !!!!!!!! Ty

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Mperk8

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Tuscadero, 2022 JL sport
I realize this is an old topic but the same thing happened to me so I've been trying to find an answer. Everything was completed properly, ran the engine for about 5 minutes to check for leaks, turned it off and let it sit for about 10 minutes and when I checked the dipstick the oil was barely touching the end. It took almost another quart to put it near the top of the crosshatch area. Any thoughts on why this occurred?

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I realize this is an old topic but the same thing happened to me so I've been trying to find an answer. Everything was completed properly, ran the engine for about 5 minutes to check for leaks, turned it off and let it sit for about 10 minutes and when I checked the dipstick the oil was barely touching the end. It took almost another quart to put it near the top of the crosshatch area. Any thoughts on why this occurred?
Probably because the oil is still up in the engine and hasn't fully migrated back to the oil pan yet. Waiting for 5 minutes to cool after shutting down is supposed to be the proper procedure, but mine still reads low at that point.

For mine (3.6L), cold after sitting all night reads exactly at full like the day I bought it, 1 minute after hot reads barely on the end of the dipstick and 5 minutes after hot reads at the low mark usually with a slight upward streak, which would technically be a quart low. Since I put a full 5 quarts in and surely didn't get a full 5 quarts out, I'm leaving it that way since it matches the factory fill levels at cold. I'm also thinking this 'wait 5 minutes' procedure is why there's so many reports here of dealerships using 6 quarts of oil instead of 5.

Mperk8

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Tuscadero, 2022 JL sport
Probably because the oil is still up in the engine and hasn't fully migrated back to the oil pan yet. Waiting for 5 minutes to cool after shutting down is supposed to be the proper procedure, but mine still reads low at that point.

For mine (3.6L), cold after sitting all night reads exactly at full like the day I bought it, 1 minute after hot reads barely on the end of the dipstick and 5 minutes after hot reads at the low mark usually with a slight upward streak, which would technically be a quart low. Since I put a full 5 quarts in and surely didn't get a full 5 quarts out, I'm leaving it that way since it matches the factory fill levels at cold. I'm also thinking this 'wait 5 minutes' procedure is why there's so many reports here of dealerships using 6 quarts of oil instead of 5.
Thanks, sounds reasonable. Guess I'm overfilled now. It just kinda freaks me out when the dipstick looks basically dry, never had this happen before when changing oil

Reactions: AFD

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
I'm also thinking this 'wait 5 minutes' procedure is why there's so many reports here of dealerships using 6 quarts of oil instead of 5.
It could also be that the 3.6 specified a 6.0 quart oil change with filter all through the JK series, many years. The engine was revised at some point, and along with it, the sump was reduced to 5.0 quarts.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
It could also be that the 3.6 specified a 6.0 quart oil change with filter all through the JK series, many years. The engine was revised at some point, and along with it, the sump was reduced to 5.0 quarts.
Yeah, that's the most logical and commonly accepted theory as to why this ever became an issue with dealerships, but in my own experience just following the 'wait 5 minutes to cool' procedure (which was also a thing back with the JK) I really don't see how you wouldn't end up overfilling and using 6 quarts instead of 5, since it still reads low when "warm".

Then again, who knows exactly how level my driveway is and the day I changed my oil was in the 90s and I took it for a quick drive and got it really hot, not just a quick startup to idle. As long as mine reads at the bottom of the notch after the 5 minute wait and full at the top of the notch after an overnight cool down, then that matches with what the factory filled it to.
Sponsored