MileHigh

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I am new to the Jeep world but not the off-roading world. We recently picked up a 2018 JLUR and have been loving it. I was very impressed with the new technology in the Wranglers and the UConnect 8.4 system. A nice big screen that connects to your phone, has nav, etc..... However, I'm learning just how limited this system truly is! I am finding out that getting any pics or videos on the screen is impossible. Ok, I can do without that but come on....we have the technology! But let me expand on something that is blowing me away....No Maps!!! I don't mean Google Maps or Apple Maps or Waze. I mean Trail maps, Topo maps, off roading maps! How is it that Jeep can put this much technology in a Wrangler and NOT allow ANY off-roading or Trail maps?!? It blows me away!

So, we have an 8.4" HD screen with a plethora of available connections but we have to run an additional screen (a Tablet or phone) to view and follow a map via an app?? Serious? If ANY vehicle on this planet should have this capability out of the box it would be the World Famous Jeep Wrangler! I shake my head at this.......

End of rant.....
Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I think the issue is in the tech. First of all, no automotive manufacturer builds and maintains its own Nav system. These are just private-label versions of TomTom or Garmin systems. And I'm not aware of any of those services building trail maps.

The best bet would be through CarPlay, which you are clearly using since you mention Waze & Apple Maps. It would be possible for a third party to develop a trail map app, but this would then need to be added to the CarPlay compatibility list by Apple. Considering how protective Apple is of this platform (they took forever to add Google Maps and Waze, and those have the financial backing of Google), I wouldn't expect this to happen anytime soon.

Agree it would be nice, but until Apple starts getting significant complaints from the somewhat-limited offroading community, I don't see this changing. Sorry :-(

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I am new to the Jeep world but not the off-roading world. We recently picked up a 2018 JLUR and have been loving it. I was very impressed with the new technology in the Wranglers and the UConnect 8.4 system. A nice big screen that connects to your phone, has nav, etc..... However, I'm learning just how limited this system truly is! I am finding out that getting any pics or videos on the screen is impossible. Ok, I can do without that but come on....we have the technology! But let me expand on something that is blowing me away....No Maps!!! I don't mean Google Maps or Apple Maps or Waze. I mean Trail maps, Topo maps, off roading maps! How is it that Jeep can put this much technology in a Wrangler and NOT allow ANY off-roading or Trail maps?!? It blows me away!

So, we have an 8.4" HD screen with a plethora of available connections but we have to run an additional screen (a Tablet or phone) to view and follow a map via an app?? Serious? If ANY vehicle on this planet should have this capability out of the box it would be the World Famous Jeep Wrangler! I shake my head at this.......

End of rant.....
Gaia works with Apple CarPlay now. It’s still in beta but it’s basically a larger screen to follow a route with instead of a phone or mounted tablet.

OP
OP
MileHigh

MileHigh

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I think the issue is in the tech. First of all, no automotive manufacturer builds and maintains its own Nav system. These are just private-label versions of TomTom or Garmin systems. And I'm not aware of any of those services building trail maps.

The best bet would be through CarPlay, which you are clearly using since you mention Waze & Apple Maps. It would be possible for a third party to develop a trail map app, but this would then need to be added to the CarPlay compatibility list by Apple. Considering how protective Apple is of this platform (they took forever to add Google Maps and Waze, and those have the financial backing of Google), I wouldn't expect this to happen anytime soon.

Agree it would be nice, but until Apple starts getting significant complaints from the somewhat-limited offroading community, I don't see this changing. Sorry :-(
I appreciate all the reply's. I did know that Gaia maps was working on a version for Apple Car Play. I didn't know it was out in Beta currently. @Columbus104, I get what you're saying but I don't buy the excuse that Jeep doesn't build their own Nav system. Jeep doesn't build most or all of their parts for their vehicles but they find a way to make sure it's Trail Rated and it's built for the Trails. How hard is it for FCA to contact a Maps App company and work with them to make sure their trail maps are accessible in every Jeep? I think any Maps App would jump at that opportunity. The Tech is there, the system is in place and has been for many years. The first thought I had when I saw the new screens in the Wranglers was 'Great, I can see a Maps app that shows the trails on here.' I can't be the ONLY person that thinks that or there's no way the designers at Jeep didn't think of that! I get that Car Play and Android Auto are controlled by Apple and Google but I'm sure there would be a way for an app to work on the Jeep screen outside of those systems. Or, have FCA help facilitate getting other Map apps onto Auto or Carplay.

Glad to see that Gaia maps is coming soon. (Still in Beta so it's not 100% there yet) I would've thought there would be more options by now as well.

Sponsored

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I have found myself where there is no service for either uconnect nav or Google maps through android. My solution has simply been to map my trips ahead of time and send to my phone. I can also send planned trip to anyone going on these trips with me and they can follow the same route plan as I am on in my Jeep. When I or they pull it up on phone out in the wild it pops up on 8.4 uconnect screen. I can also download the area I am going to and pull that entire area up on screen for potential trails I may not have planned on taking. I have also printed trip on a sheet of paper for fellas that want hard copies.
I've gone out with 6-10 Jeep's as the lead and have the trip in my head, on my maps and in print. Kind of fearful of being the guy that 10 Jeep's followed and took the wrong turn!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If the jeep chief engineer for technology and entertainment had half a brain God gave a frog, he'd make the infotainment system have an OS that accepts common consumer available data like DeLorme, Gaia, etc. Why are these built-in systems proprietary for the infotainment functions?

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
why the heck do you want a digital mapping system on your jeep display for a trail anyway? where is your sense of adventure and exploration. Maybe you want someone to drive it for you. Maybe you don't know your left from your right. Maybe you cant identify the natural signs on the ground which way a trail runs. maybe you actually need some type of artificial intelligence to tell you how not to get lost. Whats wrong with a paper Map? cant figure out which way is North? I guess they don't make MEN like they used to. Guess I'm just too accustomed to my U.S. Army Airborne Ranger Mentality that's all. Let me call you a "WHAAAABULANCE" That's My Rant.

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
From what I know, U-Connect is powered by the Android OS. Which baffles me why when using Android Auto daily it does not seem as seamless as I would expect.

Sponsored

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
why the heck do you want a digital mapping system on your jeep display for a trail anyway? where is your sense of adventure and exploration. Maybe you want someone to drive it for you. Maybe you don't know your left from your right. Maybe you cant identify the natural signs on the ground which way a trail runs. maybe you actually need some type of artificial intelligence to tell you how not to get lost. Whats wrong with a paper Map? cant figure out which way is North? I guess they don't make MEN like they used to. Guess I'm just too accustomed to my U.S. Army Airborne Ranger Mentality that's all. Let me call you a "WHAAAABULANCE" That's My Rant.
I carry mostly paper maps as that is my go to. There are some details of the backcountry that aren't complete though on some modern maps. I actually have old paper maps that I've added to.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
From what I know, U-Connect is powered by the Android OS. Which baffles me why when using Android Auto daily it does not seem as seamless as I would expect.
That isn't entirely accurate. You are correct that they announced in May '19 the next generation of Uconnect will be powered by Android. But the current generation is developed in house.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’m not being a smartass when I say this. By that logic, we’d be more manly, tough, billy badass if we used a stick in the dirt, a yardstick, and sextant to navigate then remember it all. lol

I’ve used paper maps. I know what information a Topo. map gives and insights it can possibly relay. What it can’t do is be as expedient as having multiple maps’ information on one map, including current weather information.

That said, I think everyone, including myself should be high speed and be proficient at overlanding with a compass, map, etc.

Technology and global positioning have changed not only theater of war Nav, but civilian navigation for everyday users new to navigation.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I carry mostly paper maps as that is my go to. There are some details of the backcountry that aren't complete though on some modern maps. I actually have old paper maps that I've added to.
What alot of people dont understand is that all technology and Data does not belong to the people who make the U-connect system. The mapping software of any company does NOT own the data that makes the maps, they must purchase it. The Data is created by Geospatial Analyst who either walk areas with GPS sensors, Drive routes with GPS equipped sensors, Hand drawn old maps that are georeferenced into Geospatial software or routes are extracted in 2D or 3D with the use of aerial photographs or satellite imagery. There has to be a huge need for trail data before someone invests multi millions of dollars worth of data to sell to people like Google. This data is owned and sold by the National Geospatial Agency( who contract with Geospatial companies to collect this data) to people like Google maps. Data can be collected by individuals with simple GPS devices and provided to mapping agencies or companies but there is still a stringent amount of requirements that need to meet standards of accuracy. Companies can invest in GPS data collection devices and create their own data, that involves its own set of challenges.. Trails change over time and you will never get up to date last minute changes in map data. it can take years before map data has been updated because of the cost associated with creating new map data. Navigational software is not just a simple "Why can't they put trail maps in U-Connect" Google maps and other navigational software companies may update their data every 3 years and that takes years of extraction by analyst to update. Nothing in mapping data is instant.

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I know about Uconnect 5

I am talking prior

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...tem-concept-powered-by-android-300384373.html

There is little info on the U-connect system but seems it was originally based off the Blackberry QNX operating system but they have been working on moving to Android since 2017 or earlier. The head units are part of the Panasonic Ecosystem
http://www.customtronix.com/webshop/chrysler-panasonic-2017-2019-icos-rax-conversion-radio-version/

Until the Uconnect 5 announcement FCA keeps alot of the uconnect info very secret for whatever reason?
Sponsored