Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Two months before this pandemic hit, I got a NEW well-equipped 2018 JLU SAHARA. It came with V6, 8-speed auto, Selec-Trac, LSD, rear D44, 8.4" and Alpine Sound, Proximity Door Locks, Cold Weather Group, Safety Group, Max Tow, painted hardtop, and a few other goodies.

The Jeep had been sitting on the dealer lot for 18 months. It had an MSRP of $50,000; I paid $38,000.
Jeep Wrangler JL No new inventory going on a month now 1633537941255

Today, $38,000 would get me a stripped 2-door Wrangler.

For once in my life, my timing was perfect! 😫
Sponsored

Last edited:

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I felt bad for 5 min because I only got the dealer to knock off like $2,000 from my 2021 JLUR when I bought it in March. (the vehicle had all my must haves, and most of my nice to haves). And I got top $ for my 2016 JKUR trade.

Today, I probably could have gotten an extra $2K for my trade, but would have to wait months and pay $5K more on a similar JL.

The people who can sell a used car, but don't need a new one right away can sit pretty and cash in. But I think that is the minority of us.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
It could be like this for a while. China is rationing electricity to over 70% of its industrial footprint, complicating the pace of its economic output. Taiwan has been getting buzzed daily by combat aircraft, which is significant given its role in global semiconductor production capacity. Europe is experiencing another COVID wave, although this has so far spared Italy where the 2.0 turbo hurricanes are built. Cargo container ship prices are up 1000% year-over-year, putting cost and capacity pressure on international supply chains. US truck drivers and trailer chassis remain in short supply.

Public companies have begun reporting their third quarter earnings recently, and early comments suggest continued supply chain inefficiencies, shortages of raw materials, and tight labor availability well into to 2022. Just a reminder to be thankful, since your Jeep in hand is worth more than two in the bush.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Not my dealer. Every Wrangler, Gladiator, Grand Cherokee and Ram has a big fat markup, so they have a decent supply of them sitting on the lot.

What I don’t understand is who are these buyers supposedly paying above sticker. Judging by the amount of vehicles in stock, clearly there aren’t many of them.

By contrast, the Toyota, Honda and Subaru lots are completely bare.

The Subaru lot a couple days ago.

The Jeep dealer has plenty of Wranglers, Gladiators, Grand Cherokees and Rams, all with big, fat markups

Part of this could be a dealership strategy to mark up the vehicles to keep them in stock longer and "show" a less sparse parking lot. Also, part of it could be to take advantage and sell at a much higher ATP. Remember, the decision to purchase a wrangler or a gladiator is totally different than the decision to buy a honda or a Toyota. Those latter ones tend to be practical choices or commuter vehicles so no one will be paying over sticker for those unless their current vehicle has crashed and burned on them. Contrast that with the emotional purchase that the Jeep is. People are willing to pay over sticker for these.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I was just chatting with a salesman at my selling dealer last week, while my Wrangler was in the service bay for its inaugural State inspection. He approached me as I was eyeballing the 5 or so new JLUs in the back lot. None of them were customer orders, he said, but all were sold before they had arrived and were offloaded from the truck.

It seems that folks are calling the dealer to inquire about what's inbound as dealer orders for lot inventory. If a particular vehicle's config meets the customer's requirements, a credit card deposit is provided to reserve it, and that is that.

To date, no one has requested a refund prior to taking delivery. Thus the dealer's use of the back lot for new inventory; no one is changing their mind...nor is there a widespread willingness to wait for a custom vehicle order, either. The salesman speculated that folks have stimulus money (and money saved by working from home) in their pocket, and they want to spend it now.

When I asked, the salesman confirmed that they are (a) selling all Wranglers at MSRP and (b) each delivery includes two key fobs. It's certainly a nice contrast to some of the posts in threads like this one.

-----------------

The front lot at my wife's Honda dealer, adjacent to the road, looks reasonably well stocked, but that's due to savvy positioning of late model used vehicles. That part of the dealer's property where new inventory should sit is very thin in some spots (Odysseys and Pilots) and completely barren in others (CRVs, Accords, Civics).

It's a seller's market, but not so much if you're a seller who can't earn commissions on vehicles you don't have available to sell.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It's a seller's market, but not so much if you're a seller who can't earn commissions on vehicles you don't have available to sell.
That's just it. If the dealer is lucky to come across a customer foolish enough to pay over sticker, they better put that money in the bank because it may be a long while before another one walks in.

Last week I stopped at the Toyota dealership to test drive a manual transmission Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Needless to say, they didn't have much on the lot. We chit chatted and discussed factory orders, etc. They found a used 2018 Tacoma 6-speed for me to test; off I went.

When I got back, they tried really hard to push that used truck on me. It took me by surprise; they are usually pretty laid back over there. One of the salesmen got very pushy. When he realized I wasn't going to buy that used truck, he got snarky.

I had an excellent buying experience there two years ago. This time I left with a bad taste in my mouth.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I had been looking at a new grand cherokee limited to add to the garage. One dealer i went to was selling them at 3k over invoice. Ended up ordering one for a fair amount under invoice plus they have 4k in incentives now. Ord 9/21, build date 10/12. Got a email last night from jeep wave that said it should be at my dealer first week of nov.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
That Jeep needs $4k incentives to move units in the middle of a global new vehicle shortage is incredible. Has the Jeep brand diluted that much? Did they hike MSRPs too aggressively last model year? Did they hire Gil Gunderson as their new national market head?

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
That Jeep needs $4k incentives to move units in the middle of a global new vehicle shortage is incredible. Has the Jeep brand diluted that much? Did they hike MSRPs too aggressively last model year? Did they hire Gil Gunderson as their new national market head?
The new GC's can get up to the high $60K's very easily. And since they are not as desirable as the Wranglers, Jeep has to discount them even with this seller market we are in. If/when things go back to normal, they would have to drop $10K on the hood just to move them.

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
I ordered a JL on July 19 with a $500 deposit, and the agreed price was $1k below MSRP. It also had an estimated delivery date of 8-10 weeks. As of this week, I'm told "2 more weeks". If it arrives, that would be 12 weeks. Not a big deal to me.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I had been looking at a new grand cherokee limited to add to the garage. One dealer i went to was selling them at 3k over invoice. Ended up ordering one for a fair amount under invoice plus they have 4k in incentives now. Ord 9/21, build date 10/12. Got a email last night from jeep wave that said it should be at my dealer first week of nov.
Is this for the all-new 2022 Grand Cherokee?

If so, Jeep must be trying to get as many on the roads as quickly as they can.

The most effective way to generate awareness and interest for an all-new vehicle is to have them driving on public roads and parked on private driveways.

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
Santa Monica Jeep still had some, I was just there. They also wanted a $20K markup on a 392 though. That being said, while I didn't pay it they sold all three of those. As for those talking about supply and demand this is actually surge pricing. For instance while a store has a sale on milk, they don't double the price while trucking is in short supply. True supply and demand would see pricing raise from Jeep across the board, not just a few dealers.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Two months before this pandemic hit, I got a NEW well-equipped 2018 JLU SAHARA. It came with V6, 8-speed auto, Selec-Trac, LSD, rear D44, 8.4" and Alpine Sound, Proximity Door Locks, Cold Weather Group, Safety Group, Max Tow, painted hardtop, and a few other goodies.

The Jeep had been sitting on the dealer lot for 18 months. It had an MSRP of $50,000; I paid $38,000.

Today, $38,000 would get me a stripped 2-door Wrangler.

For once in my life, my timing was perfect! 😫
what a find! Tooele motor company, didn’t know there was a Jeep dealer out there. Just bought mine from LHM in Riverdale, but should probably have talked to them too.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I looked online at the dealership that I bought my Jeep from. 41 new Jeeps and 33 of them were Grand Cherokee L. No wranglers.

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
Thats cause the release of the GC Ls are gonna take away from the GC. we took a GC for a test ride and the wife hated it. the GC L was just a day off the truck, took it for a ride at 11am, by 4pm my wife spent 80k and we took it home (1st one sold in the region). It is a great vehicle and I can see the GC L turning into just a GC now with the Wagoneer coming out
Sponsored