Sponsored

No more ESS...

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
13,000 my on my 3.6 2019 jlu four-door. It's my wife's daily driver. I've noticed now for a while that the ESS does not kick on...ever. I don't like it, admittedly, but I want the engine to work as designed.

Battery shows 14v on the dash so it's charging okay. The bypass switch is not activated.

No other issues to mention, other than the engine tick that most of us have. No engine mods, no razer.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
13,000 my on my 3.6 2019 jlu four-door. It's my wife's daily driver. I've noticed now for a while that the ESS does not kick on...ever. I don't like it, admittedly, but I want the engine to work as designed.

Battery shows 14v on the dash so it's charging okay. The bypass switch is not activated.

No other issues to mention, other than the engine tick that most of us have. No engine mods, no razer.

Any thoughts?
If your EVIC displays 14v+ charging all the time, one or both of your batteries are probably low which would explain why your ESS is non functional. I'm also guessing that your EVIC status for the ESS says "not ready - battery charging" once the engine is up to temperature.

If you are not driving enough (to charge fully) and/or the vehicle is sitting for days, I would have your batteries tested. I had my AUX /ESS replaced under warranty at 7k miles.

Since covid19 slowdown started, I've been running a battery tender or my ESS would also be non functional

OP
OP
Jimmy_jak

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If your EVIC displays 14v+ charging all the time, one or both of your batteries are probably low which would explain why your ESS is non functional. I'm also guessing that your EVIC status for the ESS says "not ready - battery charging" once the engine is up to temperature.

If you are not driving enough (to charge fully) and/or the vehicle is sitting for days, I would have your batteries tested. I had my AUX /ESS replaced under warranty at 7k miles.

Since covid19 slowdown started, I've been running a battery tender or my ESS would also be non functional
Could be. We are first responders so our work has not ceased. Thabks for the ideas, I'll try them.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
As stated 14+ all the time is not normal, if the Jeep is parked a lot likely one or both batteries are to low to allow ESS to engage, I believe if you scroll thru the screens when you get to the ESS screen on the EVIC it will tell you why it’s not engaging and likely it will say battery charging.

Lots of us here keep our jeeps on some type of charger/maintainer, mine is currently on my Odyssey 20 amp for the next few days and my dual battery system likes it, there are other things that don’t allow ESS to engage but the EVIC display should give the reason

Jeep Wrangler JL No more ESS... 6F61A659-B75A-4C25-8930-E6F71DD265EA
Jeep Wrangler JL No more ESS... BA22524B-20D7-46AB-B1F3-1C0482037AE6

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Could be. We are first responders so our work has not ceased. Thabks for the ideas, I'll try them.
Thank you so much for your serving your community! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s also some info on why it may not be working

Jeep Wrangler JL No more ESS... B9EBA662-7F11-4AD4-899D-13CCE0FFDBA5
Jeep Wrangler JL No more ESS... 6163279B-41DB-404A-8273-AAB845FF6AC9
Jeep Wrangler JL No more ESS... 82D6FD2D-48FF-4094-A24C-FABA19E329BB

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I’m always 14-14.5 and my auto start stop works fine. Been lots of talk about this being an issue but if you dig around here lots of folks state 14+ isn’t out of the normal.
Mine's always 14.5+, probably due to driving habits. Still starts after setting for 4 weeks.

OP
OP
Jimmy_jak

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So the EVIC indeed says charging battery. Guess I'll head to the dealer. Didn't realize the evic would have that detail.

Should not have a bad battery so soon. It's a daily driver, charging shouldn't be an issue. Thanks to all for the input.

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
So the EVIC indeed says charging battery. Guess I'll head to the dealer. Didn't realize the evic would have that detail.

Should not have a bad battery so soon. It's a daily driver, charging shouldn't be an issue. Thanks to all for the input.
In my situation, it's also a daily driver. However, it seems that's not necessary enough depending on drive time to charge both batteries so ESS is functional. (NOTE - starting the JLU has never been an issue.)

My service manager recommended a battery tender. This has completely resolved the problem.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Poster Jerry @Jebiruph, who comments above, has an interesting thread on how to bypass either of the two batteries in the 3.6L, or even join them in parallel all the time.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-dual-battery-management.60034/

While an extremely informative thread, I never considered the information useful beyond its practical application in regular operation of the vehicle. Let me restate that: I never initially considered the information additionally useful as a diagnostic tool to troubleshoot problems.

Jerry's techniques allow you to temporarily or permanently remove the ESS/Aux battery from providing power to the vehicle or link it in parallel to the main battery 100% of the time (as opposed to its link 99.9% of the time but for ESS events and an instant at cold cranks when the ESS/Aux battery is tested in isolation) and upon reflection, may serve an additional indication as a testing tool.

In short, (electrical pun not intended but in fact applicable), (temporarily)running a fused thick wire between fuses N1 and N2 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC)--or if you prefer, N1 and the positive terminal of the main battery (essentially the same thing) permanently parallel connects the two batteries. Additionally, (temporarily) removing from the main battery's negative post, the cable CLOSER to the front passenger's quarter panel (whose other end is connected to the ESS/Aux battery's negative post) can trick the vehicle into 1 battery operation.

I do not recommend running ESS with this 1 battery setup in any permanent manner, as ESS events, now tapping only the main battery, can possibly run down this battery of engine cranking power. BUT, it may be a useful way to test if ESS engages, which might suggest problems with the ESS/Aux battery.

One final point so as to not solve one problem and create another. When the 3.6L detects (what it thinks are) identical voltages in each battery, after 6 ESS events in an engine crank, the vehicle's computer assumes there is a problem and turns off ESS until the next cold crank of the engine, where this 6 cycle clock is reset. Such identical voltages readings occur if running the vehicle with a single battery, or permanently parallel connecting them, or even running (by virtue of its design) the aftermarket Genesis dual battery system--an excellent product--that Will @WranglerMan, who posts above, appears to be running, by virtue of his engine bay picture.

:)

OP
OP
Jimmy_jak

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
In my situation, it's also a daily driver. However, it seems that's not necessary enough depending on drive time to charge both batteries so ESS is functional. (NOTE - starting the JLU has never been an issue.)

My service manager recommended a battery tender. This has completely resolved the problem.
I have several around the house. Gonna throw one on today. Thanks.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

For anyone reading with similar issues but no electric accessible parking space to run a trickle charger (I run one too), there's always (albeit pricy) stuff like this....

https://www.cascadia4x4.com/collect...diator-jt-vss-system-30-watt-hood-solar-panel

https://www.cascadia4x4.com/collect...8-present-vss-system-80-watt-hood-solar-panel

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I could not abide by that advice from a service manager. I would have to recommend to him that Jeep designs a gas powered vehicle that does not need to be plugged in. If I wanted a Tesla, I would have bought one.
Sponsored