No more engine covers on the 3.6?

Vance

First Name
Vance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ON ORDER 2022 Wrangler Sport Altitude
In June, 2022 (or pick your own date in the future), think of all the second key fobs and engine covers that will arrive all at once at lonely Stellantis dealers nationwide. Will they send out "recall" letters to inform that these components quietly not delivered with a supposedly complete vehicle have finally become available and that you should visit your dealer to have them installed?

I'm not an expert, but I believe a vehicle's fobs are programmed as a group to the vehicle. Those second key fobs will likely require programming with the vehicle and with the "first" key fob, meaning a required trip to the service department. No mailed second key fobs.

"Oh sir, while we installed your engine cover and programmed your second key, we load-tested your battery/your transmission fluid looks dirty/you need new filters since the cover was off/etc."
Ummm... Are we really only getting one key fob with our 2022's that have been ordered? This is the first I'm hearing this, it wasn't mentioned by the salesman or sales manager. Or, maybe you were just using that as an example?
Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Its not just a cover, its insulated too.

So when customers start bringing their jeeps in for a noisy engine, especially the loud ticking injectors what do you think the fix will be?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Its not just a cover, its insulated too.

So when customers start bringing their jeeps in for a noisy engine, especially the loud ticking injectors what do you think the fix will be?
Well, if its a $60 part, I suppose the fix will be $60+ labor, or $500 total for the "upgrade".

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
From now on I'm gonna ask every ASE-certified mechanic I meet what they think about these new-fangled plastic engine cookers, and how nearly every manufacturer is allowed to get away with such a crazy scam on 75M consumers each year! 🤣

And yeah, I agree that trapping heat isn't good and a cover is just that, something to cover up the usual messy factory wiring job, but ideally it shouldn't be trapping much heat unless you're just sitting there stationary all the time (rock-crawling seems like a reasonable excuse to get rid of it, mall-crawlers not so much).
Some covers seem to cover more and fit more tightly than others. I took the one off of my LS2, the one on my Wrangler is pretty small and I don't think it covers up much. Holding heat under there can't be good for the wiring, coils, fuel injector solenoids, and in the case of the 3.6L the oil cooler that likes to break and leak. I had a Taurus SHO 3.4L V8 that had a coil wiring harness sandwiched between the valve cover and the intake plenum. It would get hot and melt the wiring. I worked on a number of those and each one I wrapped a piece of welding blanket around the harness to try to insulate it.

Reactions: AFD

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
And yeah, I agree that trapping heat isn't good and a cover is just that, something to cover up the usual messy factory wiring job, but ideally it shouldn't be trapping much heat unless you're just sitting there stationary all the time (rock-crawling seems like a reasonable excuse to get rid of it, mall-crawlers not so much).
By way of example, the engine cover on my 2.0T has a comparatively thick layer of insulation on its underside. With respect to the cover being in close proximity to the adjacent turbocharger, and the charge pipe itself being directly under the cover (almost touching it), I'd wager the insulation is there to protect the plastic cover. The collateral effect of trapping some heat likely occurs, but the cover has a vent in the center, and the engine already has a dozen coolers (possibly a slight exaggeration ;) ), so I'm not too worried.

Are we really only getting one key fob with our 2022's that have been ordered? This is the first I'm hearing this, it wasn't mentioned by the salesman or sales manager. Or, maybe you were just using that as an example?
I recently spoke with a salesman at my dealer regarding this very issue. He confirmed that new Wrangler deliveries do include two fobs. Further, the parts dept. is accepting orders from existing owners for replacement fobs. Figure 3 C-notes or so for that expense.

Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Well, if its a $60 part, I suppose the fix will be $60+ labor, or $500 total for the "upgrade".
The funny thing is a 22 hasn't rolled off the line yet. The pictures on the build site show no cover but is this just a new picture of the engine or is it not coming with a cover?

Is jeep ready for the noise complaints? LOL

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
By way of example, the engine cover on my 2.0T has a comparatively thick layer of insulation on its underside. With respect to the cover being in close proximity to the adjacent turbocharger, and the charge pipe itself being directly under the cover (almost touching it), I'd wager the insulation is there to protect the plastic cover. The collateral effect of trapping some heat likely occurs, but the cover has a vent in the center, and the engine already has a dozen coolers (possibly a slight exaggeration ;) ), so I'm not too worried.

I recently spoke with a salesman at my dealer regarding this very issue. He confirmed that new Wrangler deliveries do include two fobs. Further, the parts dept. is accepting orders from existing owners for replacement fobs. Figure 3 C-notes or so for that expense.
MoparPartsGiant lists the FOB for $121. I bought a couple this past year. I forgot what I paid. But it took a month or so to get them. They have to come from Jeep or their supplier. They need your VIN and mileage (?). The FOB comes pre-matched to the vehicle, with a RFID chip inside for dead FOB battery starting, and a mechanical key pre-cut for the door.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Vance, I understand that some manufacturers are delivering with only one key fog due to the "chip shortage," but I haven't had any buying experience with Stellantis since taking delivery of my JLUR in August, 2018. Good to hear that this hasn't happened to Wranglers (although which other manufacturer would want the probably oversized innards to fit our oversized fobs?)

Bkilby

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 392, 1974 Hemi Cherokee
Occupation
Chief Toilet Scrubber
Just took delivery of my wifes JLUR a couple of weeks ago and it came with the engine cover and both fobs.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Is this a Bronco forum? I must not be able to read.
Think he was just saying that the Bronco's engine bay is a cluttered mess well deserving of being hidden away. Makes a naked Pentastar look like a work of art in comparison.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Jeep Wrangler JL No more engine covers on the 3.6? s-l1600