Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
There's just no way Stellantis/Jeep can pinch pennies better than Ford. Every new model year Ford will pinch that penny 'till Lincoln's head pops. The aggravating thing is after manufacturers do this they still increase the overall price. I don't blame them, and I even understand why they do this. But, it's still aggravating.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
It is a cover that has increased in value because has done 36 badge trails including Peters Mill Run and it has dust on it from Pritchett canyon and the Rubicon trail. But mainly the cost increase is due to it being on the Peters Mill Run trail. I have pics to prove it.
You got those pics with the hood up and cover on, and if @viper88 buys the cover, will you sell just the pics printed out and shipped discreetly? Asking for a friend..

;)

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm grateful for my engine cover because it recently got sprayed on the edge of the inner lip with grease that revealed my alternator pulley is eating it. If I hadn't seen that, I probably wouldn't have noticed it until it was too late.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Silly me, I have always thought engine covers were added to discourage DIY work.
A milder version of a locked door keeping an honest human honest—
I've called them "beauty covers" because they began to come to the fore as the ever-increasing volume of emission plumbing, etc. got harder to hide. The cover on the Jeep's 2.0T is a perfect example of this; it's an absolute mess of hoses and wires underneath.

And truly honest people don't require impediments to test their good character. ;) What you're likely thinking of is dissuading opportunistic thieves.

Sponsored

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
It is a cover that has increased in value because has done 36 badge trails including Peters Mill Run and it has dust on it from Pritchett canyon and the Rubicon trail. But mainly the cost increase is due to it being on the Peters Mill Run trail. I have pics to prove it.
I was about to undercut you by 50% and list my EBC for only $500, but then you listed its credentials... I can't compete with that! I feel bad for even thinking of undercutting you. You win sir.

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
Never understood engine covers. Seems like an easy way to retain heat.
☝☝☝

Finally, someone with some common sense! I’ve said this for years. Why would you want something that retains heat and does not allow the engine to dissipate ate at a faster level?

I’ve said for years now that with many things in regards to engines being able to last longer due to tighter and more uniform tolerances, stronger metals and so on, why is it that as soon as we saw those things start to take place we also saw at least 3 or 4 other things happen too. And in some cases, as many as 5 to 7 things take place as well.

1. We saw engine covers that retain heat (excessive heat destroys the engine. The cooler it runs, the better it is and longer is lasts.) and do not allow the engine to dissipate the engine heat as fast.

2. We saw recommended oil changes go from being recommended once every 3 months or once every 3,000 miles, depending on which happens first, to once every 6 months or every 5,000 miles, depending on what happens first. Yes, oils have gotten better, including synthetic oils but there are other factors to consider too. How is the vehicle driven? In stop and go traffic? In almost all highway speeds with little to no traffic? A combination of the 2? In a manner where the engine performance is often utilized such as in drag racing, off roading, etc.? And, what is the oil filtration and capacity? (See points 3 and 4 next.) And last, is the engine naturally aspirated or not? (See points 5 and 6 later on.)

3. Oil capacity. My 2021 JLUR has the 3.6 liter Pentastar V-6 with eTorque has a factory oil pan that holds approximately 5 quarts of oil. My last truck, with I think either a 5.3 liter or 5.7 liter V-8 had a 6 quart capacity oil pan. But my kids car that has a 1.8 liter turbo charged I-4 only has an oil pan that barely holds 4 quarts of oil. That’s all well and good unless you get an oil leak and/or your engine starts burning oil. And then you are most likely going to run into major problems much sooner. AND CREATE MORE ENGINE HEAT WITH SLOWER HEAT DISIPATION DUE TO AN ENGINE COVER! Yet most diesel engines will typically have an oil pan containing at least 10 quarts of oil or more AND LARGE OIL FILTERS! (See point 4 next.)

4. Smaller oil filters or older technology being used once again by going back to oil cartridges. The auto manufacturers want you to think oil cartridges are to save on materials and so on. In 1 aspect that is true. But the technology is old technology from the 40’s and 50’s and when you compare an oil cartridge to an oil filter, there is less protection, less filtration and as a result, generally speaking, a shorter life span of OPTIMAL filtration. So maybe the first 3,000 miles the oil cartridge protects ALMOST as well as an oil filter. But after that, now the protection gets much worse AND much faster and more and more degradation happens with continued and longer use. Thus an engine will see a much shorter life span than its actual potential when what I described above takes place. Observe too the newer vehicles that still actually do still use oil filters, notice that many of those engines are using a slightly smaller oil filter from the previous engines generation of similar size.

5. Smaller sized, turbo charged engines are the new fad! Ask any ASE mechanic or engine builder that is worth his salt. A larger, naturally aspirated engine will always outlast a smaller turbo charged engine! Why? The smaller, turbo charged engines have to work harder. They produce more heat. Especially when being run in a manner where the turbo charger is having to “work” so to speak in order for the engine to perform like a larger, naturally aspirated engine. But now you also have a new engine with an engine cover that retains heat, which destroys engines faster, less oil capacity, smaller and less protective oil cartridges being used AND a much longer interval of time recommended in between oil changes. And yet countless people think all that stuff is just technology and better design. No it’s not. It’s designed to fail much faster and in greater numbers overall after a warranty period expires so you will buy more vehicles that are more expensive, much faster. Better fuel economy is only the carrot dangled in front of you to take the bait! Oh yeah, then you also consider too, that a newer, turbo charged engine is much more difficult, expensive in both parts and labor due to longer times needed to replace warn out parts, so most people either will not or cannot do the repair work themselves. Go talk to any ASE Certified Ford mechanic on the labor time alone that is needed to change the timing chains on their Ecoboost, turbo charged V-6 engines. Insanely difficult and insanely labor intensive.

6. Now add everything that I said up and you will see that with everything combined, that these newer engines won’t last anywhere near as long as previous generations, unless there are owners who do their maintenance on a regular basis very early, every single time, AND that do not drive their vehicles under conditions where the peak performance is often being used on a regular basis.

So be thankful that your Jeep has at least 1 less item on it designed to kill the longevity and life of your vehicle. Those covers come off on all of my vehicles and they get changed with Amsoil signature series oil and either an Amsoil, Wix, OEM, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, or K&N oil filter or cartridge once every 2,500 to 3,000 miles to help make my engines last longer. But I have always been that way from back when I lived back home in San Diego, and was driving 60,000 to 80,000 miles a year on my vehicles and needed them to last as long as possible. And they often times did. Therefore, I continue to do the same thing to this day even though I may only drive around 6,000 miles a year on average now, due to living in a small town and only working 2 1/2 to 3 miles away from my home.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Good point. Engines of the past were " over engineered", who remembers the 283 V8s, in line Blue Flame 6 cyls, many great engines that would, could, and did last.
Now, engines are designed to very close tolerances,for cost , weight, fuel efficiency, EMISSIONS. That "last word" was the death knell of the old school, robust, but dirty engines.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
1. We saw engine covers

2. recommended oil changes every 3 months or once every 3,000 miles

3. Oil capacity.

4. Smaller oil filters or older technology being used once again by going back to oil cartridges.
Engine covers were designed to cover up the cost of efficiency and function over form and beauty under the hood. Just like a social media filter used on the owner's life.

Oil change intervals were extended out because oil analysis showed dealers/mechanics were scamming customers and the customers got wise.

Tighter block tolerances have created greater efficiencies in oil use and cut down consumption.

Newer filter media manufacturing processes have created more efficient filters, bigger is not always better.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Never understood engine covers. Seems like an easy way to retain heat.
I took the cover off of my LS2 but I have a hard time finding a good place to store it. The Wrangler seems to have a smaller cover than other 3.6L like in the Grand Cherokee. I'm one of those people who thinks covers are not required.

Good point. Engines of the past were " over engineered", who remembers the 283 V8s, in line Blue Flame 6 cyls, many great engines that would, could, and did last.
I don't know about that... My father owned a garage for over 60 years. When I was working there I remember we did a lot of engine overhauls at 80k to 100k miles. And lots of occurrences of burned valves and failed timing chain gears. Engines now are much more durable. My LS2 has 140k miles and burns a quart of oil every 3000 miles. My dad once had a Dodge delivery van that burned a quart of oil every 25 miles.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I think we all have left over pizza boxes. Never fit in the garbage easily.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
From now on I'm gonna ask every ASE-certified mechanic I meet what they think about these new-fangled plastic engine cookers, and how nearly every manufacturer is allowed to get away with such a crazy scam on 75M consumers each year! 🤣

And yeah, I agree that trapping heat isn't good and a cover is just that, something to cover up the usual messy factory wiring job, but ideally it shouldn't be trapping much heat unless you're just sitting there stationary all the time (rock-crawling seems like a reasonable excuse to get rid of it, mall-crawlers not so much).

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You got those pics with the hood up and cover on, and if @viper88 buys the cover, will you sell just the pics printed out and shipped discreetly? Asking for a friend..

;)
You will have to join my Only Fans page on Instagram . @JeepEngineCover.unCovered.slightly.just.the.way.you.like.it

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
In June, 2022 (or pick your own date in the future), think of all the second key fobs and engine covers that will arrive all at once at lonely Stellantis dealers nationwide. Will they send out "recall" letters to inform that these components quietly not delivered with a supposedly complete vehicle have finally become available and that you should visit your dealer to have them installed?

I'm not an expert, but I believe a vehicle's fobs are programmed as a group to the vehicle. Those second key fobs will likely require programming with the vehicle and with the "first" key fob, meaning a required trip to the service department. No mailed second key fobs.

"Oh sir, while we installed your engine cover and programmed your second key, we load-tested your battery/your transmission fluid looks dirty/you need new filters since the cover was off/etc."