Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I canā€™t believe Jeep is cutting costs by removing the engine cover on its biggest cash cow.

If Jeep wants to cut real costs, they should shut down the plant in Italy making Renegades and move that production to its Mexico plant.

Renegadeā€™s quality would improve, too...! šŸ˜«

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Just saw on the JT side some folks are taking delivery of 2022's and they have no engine cover. Here is a pic from there...

1639740294534.png

It's not as ugly as I'd imagined. But it does look like the 3.6 is sporting a comb-over! LOL!

I will say that the JL's engine cover never looked as good to me as the JK's Pentastar cover. It looked much nicer.
Am I the only one that thinks it looks better? The current engine cover looked off to me anyway. Add that fact that it is purely cosmetic, and this feels like a win win.
Now the 2.0... that one might not look as nice naked.

I was also thinking (probably wishful thinking) that this could be an indicator of the i6T coming in 2023. If they are finally phasing out the Pentastar, maybe they figured just cut that piece to allow one more small resource to be put towards the new engine. One can dream right?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
It's all fun and games (and 'cost-saving measures') until you've got a goofy 'ILSAC/GF5 OIL RECOMMENDED' sticker plastered on your hood ;)

Personally, I kinda like engine covers just cause they're easier to wipe down and clean (for my own personal enjoyment of the engine bay). Maybe this is an opportunity for the aftermarket to create a nice aluminum one, if they haven't already?

In the end, it's not a big deal, but a company trying to save $3 on a $50k vehicle isn't a good look either (even though it's likely just supply-related).
Iā€™ve wiped down O engine bays in 7 Jeepā€™s and 20+ vehicles Iā€™ve ever owned, but I still think no plastic tray looks better than a clean plastic tray. The engine beauty covers always reminded me of the weird people with the plastic cover on their furniture, Useless.

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I'm in the minority as I like the 3.6 engine cover. Not to show off the engine lol and yep maybe it traps a little heat but I still prefer it. If I bought another Jeep that didn't come with one, I'd probably buy one if whatever is needed to attach the cover is still on the motor...

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Am I the only one that thinks it looks better? The current engine cover looked off to me anyway. Add that fact that it is purely cosmetic, and this feels like a win win.
Now the 2.0... that one might not look as nice naked.

I was also thinking (probably wishful thinking) that this could be an indicator of the i6T coming in 2023. If they are finally phasing out the Pentastar, maybe they figured just cut that piece to allow one more small resource to be put towards the new engine. One can dream right?
I think i like the bare look too. the intake manifold makes it seem like a straight six at a quick glance. It looks more like an actual engine now.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
You beat me to it. Looks like SH-T without a engine cover.
And its interesting that the F-150s with that engine look far less chaotic. lol

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
They can actually reduce or supress NVH.

$30 x 200,000 JT's and JL's in a year is 6 million dollars. That's hardly chump change. Not saying I like it but the economics are clear when you look at it on this scale. Plus it is one small less step in production and logistics. So there's savings there, too. If the 2.0 is included in this then it's around $10 million or $11 million in savings. Between the JL and JT they probably produce north of 300,000 a year. If all other Pentastars are included, the savings will only multiply.

Everyone is fighting inflation related cost increases. If they can find savings, they can reduce cost increases that may slow sales. That could be the real motivation if savings is the motivator.

One other thing to consider.....supply. If the supplier was struggling, as many are, would you slow or stop Jeep production just for the engine cover? That would make far less sense than the financial savings of eliminating them. It very well could be a supplier issue. There will also be certain options unavailable at times due to parts shortages. Production of a vehicle is a complicated ballet that few understand. WIth the pandemic and economic problems we have, that ballet is even more complicated.

DOes someone have a picture of these engines without the covers? I have not seen this yet. My wife's 2021 has it. I've seen Jeeps on the lot with them. When did this start to get noticed?
Stared about 2 months ago.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
All over your suspension components and frame of course!! I usually roll around with my hood closed so the internals arenā€™t exposed to the general public, these new social media trends are getting pretty weird.
Why you gotta engage in kink-shaming?

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Iā€™ve wiped down O engine bays in 7 Jeepā€™s and 20+ vehicles Iā€™ve ever owned, but I still think no plastic tray looks better than a clean plastic tray. The engine beauty covers always reminded me of the weird people with the plastic cover on their furniture, Useless.
Then yeah, if you never clean your engine bay, then an engine cover would likely be useless to you.

Like I said, I clean out the bay for my own personal enjoyment (and slight OCD). Usually only once every year or so and just the exposed and easily reached areas.. it literally takes 10 minutes to wipe down. I usually don't have much of a problem with oil or other fluids needing to be cleaned up, but all of my vehicles tend to get a fairly decent dust build-up under the hood. I can obviously still do the same to the uncovered motor, was just saying it's quicker/easier with a cover.
Sponsored