Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've been on the verge of bumping up the tire size from my current c-rated 315 ko2's. Was originally thinking to stay with BFG, but didn't like the idea of a d-rated tire when going 37" and up. That lead to the last couple of weeks of looking into the c-rated 38" Pat's. Was just about to pull the trigger on a set of the 38x12.5-17's from discount tire, but they're no longer listed as an option. They were there just a couple days ago. Would now have to go with the 13.5" wide to end up with the proper load rating. I am hesitant to go wider than my current 12.5", because it's my daily driver and rain and snow traction is an on road concern. Any thoughts would be well appreciated.

How would the d-rating affect on and off road ride, comfort, and handling compared to the C's?

What are the pros and cons both on and off road when going from a 12.5" to a 13.5" wide tire?

Thanks Jeepers!
Sponsored

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
That was a mis print from discount. The Patagonia’s were never offered in 38x12.5. They still have 38x13.5 if you want to go that route.
D rated 37s aren’t bad around 28-30 psi. A lot of people running d rated 37s myself included

Last edited:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I've been on the verge of bumping up the tire size from my current c-rated 315 ko2's. Was originally thinking to stay with BFG, but didn't like the idea of a d-rated tire when going 37" and up. That lead to the last couple of weeks of looking into the c-rated 38" Pat's. Was just about to pull the trigger on a set of the 38x12.5-17's from discount tire, but they're no longer listed as an option. They were there just a couple days ago. Would now have to go with the 13.5" wide to end up with the proper load rating. I am hesitant to go wider than my current 12.5", because it's my daily driver and rain and snow traction is an on road concern. Any thoughts would be well appreciated.

How would the d-rating affect on and off road ride, comfort, and handling compared to the C's?

What are the pros and cons both on and off road when going from a 12.5" to a 13.5" wide tire?

Thanks Jeepers!
Need more info...What lift and wheel backspacing are you running? Do you wheel the jeep or doing it more for looks?

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
As previously stated there never was a 38x12.50 Patagonia. The part number listed was for the non street legal version of the 38x13 50. Lucky you didn't order them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That was a mis print from discount. The Patagonia’s were never offered in 38x12.5. They still have 38x13.5 if you want to go that route.
D rated 37s aren’t bad around 28-30 psi. A lot of people running d rated 37s myself included
Oh wow, thanks for the heads up about that size not existing!

Do you notice any extra stiffness compared to the factory C's, or has the taller sidewall and lower psi helped to offset the added weight rating? Thanks Jerry!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

Do you notice any extra stiffness compared to the factory C's, or has the taller sidewall and lower psi helped to offset the added weight rating? Thanks Jerry!
I'm running 37x12.50 milestar's load d at 26psi cold and previously ran 33" and 35" ko2's load c at 30psi cold. The load d milestar's ride a bit stiffer and not as smooth...it's largely dependent on driver preference and hasn't been a big deal. What lift and backspacing are you running?

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Need more info...What lift and wheel backspacing are you running? Do you wheel the jeep or doing it more for looks?
Dynatrac endurosport 2" lift, Steer Smarts steering and front track bar with fox ss, Synergy full control arm kit and rear track bar, and currently rolling on 315 ko2's mounted on stock wheels. Just waiting on a 42mm socket to install the Synergy front track bar brace and inner front fender liners to do a front fender chop with AAL parts.

This is my first Jeep and I've only done a 101 trail course up in the catskills, while it was stock. Off roading is illegal here, so unfortunately I can't just jump on a trail for a couple hours before heading home after work. I do however plan on some road trips over the next few months to Rausch creek and AOAA in Pa and Windrock and other parks in Tennessee, just to get started. My goal is a competent daily driver that's also beefed up for trail.

Discount lists the factory 7.5" wheel as being the minimal allowed mounting width for both the 37x12.5 ko2's and the 38x13.5 Pat's. I know it's not ideal, but I'm still in the search for a wider 5-spoke 17 that has the same kinda look of the factory black with machined lip with just enough backspace to clear the vitals. Thanks for the input, ChattVol!

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The 38x13.5 Pats are not that wide - a little over 13" mounted on a 9" rim. Just a tad wider than 37x12.5 STT Pros.
Thanks, the 38 Pat's not being as wide as advertised definitely alleviates some concern about having too much flotation on road in the rain and snow. Much appreciated, Tim!

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As previously stated there never was a 38x12.50 Patagonia. The part number listed was for the non street legal version of the 38x13 50. Lucky you didn't order them.
Oh yeah, I see it now. The lower priced "black label" ones have a notation warning about them not being DOT approved. Thanks a lot for shedding light on that. Would've been a headache.

Cheers Carlton!

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Oh yeah, I see it now. The lower priced "black label" ones have a notation warning about them not being DOT approved. Thanks a lot for shedding light on that. Would've been a headache.

Cheers Carlton!
No problem. There would have been no safety issues, they would have just worn out much quicker.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
38” tires and a 2” lift will rub hard on the plastic liners. I have almost 3”’s of lift and get a slight amout of liner rub with 37’s at full trail compression.
I'm chopping the front fenders as soon as AAL ships my new inner fender liners. I've been sitting on their fender brace/drl and fender retention kit for a couple weeks. I'll also be ordering a set of rear liners very soon. Multiple videos show about a 3.5" gain of up travel clearance after chopping the fenders.

Thanks a lot for looking out!

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech

I only ran the factory wheels and tires for about 200 miles so can’t really say how they ride compared to that. But I feel my d rated tires ride fine overall. They may be a bit stiffer but to me it’s not bad at all. Everyone is different when it comes to ride quality. My other 2 rigs are an f350 (stiff) and an Acura rsx so it’s tough to say what feels good to me may feel shitty to you.
Sponsored