Sponsored

No longer generating energy while coasting

JLSmitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
You'd be surprised, also a gradient with a speed limit of 40 is much easier to regenerate than trying to maintain highway speeds. The hill I drive most frequently would net me several % points by the time I reached the bottom. Now I'm actually losing a point.
This ^^

My daily commute takes me on a route that I can coast long enough distances to see battery percentage increase. My speed during these times is 35-45mph and the jeep will maintain that while I coast. At highway speeds, there is too much wind resistance for me to coast and maintain speed for long enough to regenerate anything noticeable.
Sponsored

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Ya, that is what I have been doing, a tech and I have been going through the FCA service library to see if there was any similar complaints in the country, nothing so far. I did notice this morning while I was driving in, it would take longer for the battery to drain. I think I almost got 30 miles out of it.
See my thread here. Video proof of the charge downhill not working. i used both MaxRegen and regular coasting...

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Have you been able to uncover any possible solutions to the problem?
In my testing I have determined that the MaxRegen dropout when braking is by design, and is caused by a loss of traction. I note that the MaxRegen icon turns white on these occurrences, and it does make sense so as to allow the traction control to function properly. The downside is that the driver is now forced to react to not having the braking force and have to mash the pedal to get the friction brakes working. This seems like it could be solved better in the software.

That said, I have noticed far less events since the RRTs were performed, and the pedal does seem to react better in these circumstances.

On the issue of regen not working when traveling downhill, this does not seem to be the same cause. When regen cut out there, the icon was still green as though the Jeep was thinking it should still be regenerativly braking. I have not had the opportunity to recreate the conditions in the video to test if the RRTs resolved that issue, unfortunately.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I think when not under throttle (battery or otherwise) it flips into generator mode and sends a small amount of energy from the drivetrain back into the battery, Max Regen does the same thing but in an amplified version that generates more energy while having a much greater impact on the rate of deceleration.
Hmm I guess I will keep an eye out for this. I always have the driver info screen on the 2 circles that show engine/motor energy, so I'll see if I can observe any behavior that might be a clue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Hmm I guess I will keep an eye out for this. I always have the driver info screen on the 2 circles that show engine/motor energy, so I'll see if I can observe any behavior that might be a clue.
On your main infotainment screen use the hybrid page.

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2006 Jeep LJ
See my thread here. Video proof of the charge downhill not working. i used both MaxRegen and regular coasting...

It does not work for me either, but I made a couple more observations while driving in different modes.

After a full charge, I put it in esave mode for my first 15 miles of my commute. The first 3-4 miles the engine did not turn on and it was still draining battery. I thought that was weird, so I flipped it to the trip info screen and noticed both electric and gas miles were being used. I thought Esave was supposed to save the battery or charge the battery, depending on what you select on the battery app screen.

In the Hybrid mode, the engine does not turn on until battery level is at <1%. I drove 70mph wiht 5% battery life and engine still didn't turn on. It acted like the Hybrid mode was the electric mode.

I am going to chalk it up to break in, it is still not broken in yet with 500 miles, 300 of them being electric. I could be wrong, but I love this thing and just enjoying the beautiful drive I take every day, this thing drives beautifully.

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
It does not work for me either, but I made a couple more observations while driving in different modes.

After a full charge, I put it in esave mode for my first 15 miles of my commute. The first 3-4 miles the engine did not turn on and it was still draining battery. I thought that was weird, so I flipped it to the trip info screen and noticed both electric and gas miles were being used. I thought Esave was supposed to save the battery or charge the battery, depending on what you select on the battery app screen.

In the Hybrid mode, the engine does not turn on until battery level is at <1%. I drove 70mph wiht 5% battery life and engine still didn't turn on. It acted like the Hybrid mode was the electric mode.

I am going to chalk it up to break in, it is still not broken in yet with 500 miles, 300 of them being electric. I could be wrong, but I love this thing and just enjoying the beautiful drive I take every day, this thing drives beautifully.
Just an FYI "hybrid" mode is basically Electric only until you run out of charge, unless you need the power the ICE doesnt kick on.

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
This is also normal. The engine will not kick on until 95% (not positive on the percentage) in esave mode.
Sponsored