OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Yes, it does generate a charge while coasting without max regen on. Mine regularly adds charge while coasting on my daily commutes and shows up on the electric power flow page as well as an increase in my battery percentage. The difference is negligible in battery left whether I drive to work with max regen on or just rely on coasting to add energy back.

If the weather has turned colder, that may explain why you no longer see a battery charge while coasting. If the jeep is running the heater to keep the battery warm, that takes a noticeable amount of power and would likely consume all of the charge generated from coasting. Just a thought.
I haven't gone crazy! Score that as a win for me today! What's odd on the heater front is that it hasn't been too cold. Even when it's 60 out the behavior occurs, even after driving on ICE for a while. I would think that it would at least recharge some of the time, it's like whatever setting controls it just switched to off.
Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Yes, it does generate a charge while coasting without max regen on. Mine regularly adds charge while coasting on my daily commutes and shows up on the electric power flow page as well as an increase in my battery percentage. The difference is negligible in battery left whether I drive to work with max regen on or just rely on coasting to add energy back.

If the weather has turned colder, that may explain why you no longer see a battery charge while coasting. If the jeep is running the heater to keep the battery warm, that takes a noticeable amount of power and would likely consume all of the charge generated from coasting. Just a thought.
And you are 100% certain your engine was not on?

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
My experience with MaxRegen in the mountains was fantastic. It adds to the downhill handling in a way downshifting and braking can't match. The engine doesn't run and you pick up a number of miles in the process riding the generator all the way down.

At a certain velocity, the wind resistance might come to play and take energy back to maintain speed.

I'd recommend just keeping max regen on and learn to feather the throttle as needed. It becomes second nature really fast. All you really gain is less chance of using the friction brakes.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I missed some of the other posts but it doesn't seem possible to generate much or at all while actually coasting (if there are no brakes or regen braking). I can experiment some and see.

If you are coasting down grade the speed would pick up until you hit a balance with the wind resistance.

I've been on long highway stretches with down gradients and still had a small amount of ICE needed to keep momentum.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Hmm, I guess it's possible the regeneration may kick on while coasting, but that might mean there is no true coast as momentum would be driving the generator to a small amount.

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I missed some of the other posts but it doesn't seem possible to generate much or at all while actually coasting (if there are no brakes or regen braking). I can experiment some and see.

If you are coasting down grade the speed would pick up until you hit a balance with the wind resistance.

I've been on long highway stretches with down gradients and still had a small amount of ICE needed to keep momentum.
You'd be surprised, also a gradient with a speed limit of 40 is much easier to regenerate than trying to maintain highway speeds. The hill I drive most frequently would net me several % points by the time I reached the bottom. Now I'm actually losing a point.

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Hmm, I guess it's possible the regeneration may kick on while coasting, but that might mean there is no true coast as momentum would be driving the generator to a small amount.
When you apply the brakes, you can see regeneration at 30-40 even 50 kw ... The "passive" regen as I will call it would typically be in the 3-5kw range which compared to max regen had minimal to no observed deceleration beyond what you would expect lifting off the throttle.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Could it be the recent software updates? Perhaps they took some electric drag off of coasting?

Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
This is fascinating to me since it clearly flies in the face of how I understand the hybrid system to work. Of course a downhill grade can create the opportunity for excess momentum. But what's interesting to me is that if the hybrid system is deciding to flip the drive motor into generator mode without application of the brake pedal, that seems to indicate it has determined there is excess momentum available to consume. Which to me implies that it thinks it knows what speed the Jeep should be maintaining. Hmm...

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
This is fascinating to me since it clearly flies in the face of how I understand the hybrid system to work. Of course a downhill grade can create the opportunity for excess momentum. But what's interesting to me is that if the hybrid system is deciding to flip the drive motor into generator mode without application of the brake pedal, that seems to indicate it has determined there is excess momentum available to consume. Which to me implies that it thinks it knows what speed the Jeep should be maintaining. Hmm...
It could be it has some smarts to detect acceleration while in neutral.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Are they pushing those OTA?
No, those are the ones that need to be installed by the service departments. These are the RRT software updates that came out a while back. They would have potential to change some characteristics.

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I think when not under throttle (battery or otherwise) it flips into generator mode and sends a small amount of energy from the drivetrain back into the battery, Max Regen does the same thing but in an amplified version that generates more energy while having a much greater impact on the rate of deceleration.

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
No, those are the ones that need to be installed by the service departments. These are the RRT software updates that came out a while back. They would have potential to change some characteristics.
I haven't had any of those RRT's done yet.
Sponsored