Sponsored

No longer generating energy while coasting

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I'm actually curious what was going on previously that gave the impression it was generating energy from coasting. If max regen is off, the drive motor will not go into generator mode unless you use the brake pedal.

The only thing that comes to mind is if the gas engine were on. The hybrid system will always keep an eye out for a chance to use excess engine power to recharge a little. And coasting would be a perfect situation for that. That could explain the constant energy generation. But then I guess the question would be why was it on back then when you were seeing this behavior, but not now?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I'm actually curious what was going on previously that gave the impression it was generating energy from coasting. If max regen is off, the drive motor will not go into generator mode unless you use the brake pedal.

The only thing that comes to mind is if the gas engine were on. The hybrid system will always keep an eye out for a chance to use excess engine power to recharge a little. And coasting would be a perfect situation for that. That could explain the constant energy generation. But then I guess the question would be why was it on back then when you were seeing this behavior, but not now?
Max Regen just activates the electrical brake. While coasting the drive train is still spinning and there is usually 1-3 kw being generated. Max Regen results in a much higher kw output.

To that, there was no impression given. It quite clearly and visibly displayed a charge being generated while coasting, and on hills would actually result in a multiple % increase in charge.

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2006 Jeep LJ
Max Regen just activates the electrical brake. While coasting the drive train is still spinning and there is usually 1-3 kw being generated. Max Regen results in a much higher kw output.

To that, there was no impression given. It quite clearly and visibly displayed a charge being generated while coasting, and on hills would actually result in a multiple % increase in charge.
I have only driven with Max Regen with it off in spurts, going to try my whole ride home without it on and see if that changes anything.

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
That doesn't sound right I have gone from <1% to around 10% with A/C blasting on downhill with max regen on. (San Diego to Borrego)

Sponsored

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So on my ride home, I switched off max regen and it was pretty much the same, 27 miles electric and 16 ICE.

So there is this one part of my drive where I have to go up a ramp to get to the freeway and then going on to the freeway its just straight down for like a mile. At that point I was at 7 miles left on electric with like 18% battery, it just cratered when I got up. It dropped to 3 miles left on battery and like 7% and it didn't want to coast down the hill even though max regen was off, like something was holding it back. It could be the elevation, I am not sure.

I am going to try a different way home through a canyon tomorrow, its a couple miles longer but less going up and more going down.

Granted, I only have 250 miles on it, so maybe there is a break in period for some Jeeps. What amazes me is that I only went through an 1/8th of gas. tracking almost 1000 miles on this tank and I know the dealer put regular gas in it, so it could get a little better with super in it.

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That doesn't sound right I have gone from <1% to around 10% with A/C blasting on downhill with max regen on. (San Diego to Borrego)

That is awesome dude, If I can pull that off I can probably have a larger chunk of my 40 mile commute in electric. Is your Jeep in hybrid mode when that happens or electric mode?

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I turned max Regen on with cruise control and it did recharge a little bit, but I definitely felt it engage like a light braking. It was a different feeling than before when it would charge while coasting. I've also noticed it seems the electric motors are running a higher output than usual and my range is down.

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
That is awesome dude, If I can pull that off I can probably have a larger chunk of my 40 mile commute in electric. Is your Jeep in hybrid mode when that happens or electric mode?
Hybrid + max regen. It shuts off ICE while going downhill

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I turned max Regen on with cruise control and it did recharge a little bit, but I definitely felt it engage like a light braking. It was a different feeling than before when it would charge while coasting. I've also noticed it seems the electric motors are running a higher output than usual and my range is down.

Very interesting, I can't stand cruise control on my daily commute, so if it means that is the only way It would be able to charge then I can live with it not charging. My commute is too choppy and cruise control is pretty useless.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Very interesting, I can't stand cruise control on my daily commute, so if it means that is the only way It would be able to charge then I can live with it not charging. My commute is too choppy and cruise control is pretty useless.
Agreed, I never use it. That's why I'm trying to figure out how to get my not Max Regen, Regen, back

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon

Hi. The "electrical bake" is the main drive motor switching its mode of operation from motor to generator. A motor and a generator are essentially the same thing. The only difference is if electricity is being used to generate force or if force is being used to generate electricity.

The drive motor only switches into generator mode in two cases:
1. You are in max regen mode. In this mode, you control how much electricity the motor is generating (and thus how aggressively momentum is being consumed) via the accelerator pedal. The less the pedal is pushed, the more it generates.
2. When not in max regen mode, you step on the brake pedal. Again this controls how much electricity the motor is generating (and thus how aggressively momentum is being consumed). The more the pedal is pushed, the more it generates.

I apologize if I gave the impression that I was disputing that you saw electricity being generated. It's very clear that you did. What I am pointing out is that the 4xe does not generate electricity with the drive motor while coasting unless you are in max regen mode. That is simply a fact. Given that fact, I was trying to think what other explanations there could be for what you observed. And I suggested that the engine being on seems to be one very likely way you could see electricity generated while coasting.

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Hi. The "electrical bake" is the main drive motor switching its mode of operation from motor to generator. A motor and a generator are essentially the same thing. The only difference is if electricity is being used to generate force or if force is being used to generate electricity.

The drive motor only switches into generator mode in two cases:
1. You are in max regen mode. In this mode, you control how much electricity the motor is generating (and thus how aggressively momentum is being consumed) via the accelerator pedal. The less the pedal is pushed, the more it generates.
2. When not in max regen mode, you step on the brake pedal. Again this controls how much electricity the motor is generating (and thus how aggressively momentum is being consumed). The more the pedal is pushed, the more it generates.

I apologize if I gave the impression that I was disputing that you saw electricity being generated. It's very clear that you did. What I am pointing out is that the 4xe does not generate electricity with the drive motor while coasting unless you are in max regen mode. That is simply a fact. Given that fact, I was trying to think what other explanations there could be for what you observed. And I suggested that the engine being on seems to be one very likely way you could see electricity generated while coasting.
Thank you for the follow up and I'm sorry if that came across defensive/short that wasn't my intent.

I guess to prove I'm not crazy can anyone confirm that they DO see a charge when not in Max Regen and coasting.

JLSmitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Thank you for the follow up and I'm sorry if that came across defensive/short that wasn't my intent.

I guess to prove I'm not crazy can anyone confirm that they DO see a charge when not in Max Regen and coasting.
Yes, it does generate a charge while coasting without max regen on. Mine regularly adds charge while coasting on my daily commutes and shows up on the electric power flow page as well as an increase in my battery percentage. The difference is negligible in battery left whether I drive to work with max regen on or just rely on coasting to add energy back.

If the weather has turned colder, that may explain why you no longer see a battery charge while coasting. If the jeep is running the heater to keep the battery warm, that takes a noticeable amount of power and would likely consume all of the charge generated from coasting. Just a thought.

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it does generate a charge while coasting without max regen on. Mine regularly adds charge while coasting on my daily commutes and shows up on the electric power flow page as well as an increase in my battery percentage. The difference is negligible in battery left whether I drive to work with max regen on or just rely on coasting to add energy back.

If the weather has turned colder, that may explain why you no longer see a battery charge while coasting. If the jeep is running the heater to keep the battery warm, that takes a noticeable amount of power and would likely consume all of the charge generated from coasting. Just a thought.
I am not seeing the regens either, its not really cold out here. In the mornings, maybe like mid 50s, on my way back home mid 60s. I was talking to the CDJR foreman at work and he was like, you can tell its regenerating when the power flow screen turns blue, I think he is confusing it with the Pacifica, cause mine stays green. I just shrugged it off, maybe it needs to be broken in, it only has 325 miles on it.

I want to try and build up speed and try and coast to see if that does it, on my commute its hard to get over 60mph cause of congestion.
Sponsored