No Lift Off-Roading People

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The stock JLUR is extremely capable, even a stock Sport JL can handle quite a bit. There is probably a line you cross where you're adding more capabilities to the vehicle then you actually need or use. if I were to do everything over again, I would have just gotten a JLUR and left it stock (or tried to).

After my suspension upgrade, I will basically have a Rubicon without lockers, beefy axles, and lower gear ratio. I'm still about $4K under what I would have paid for a JLUR with the options I would want. It works great on moderate trails which is mostly what I do.
Having wheeled in beater xj's, any stock jeep is capable. If you are willing to accept body damage and dragging the jeep over obstacles you'd be amazed what you can do on open diffs and stock components. When we decided to buy and wheel a JLU, there is a whole different set of factors involved. It is the wife's daily, so broken parts and body damage are to be avoided. We kept the JLUR stock for the first year, but still ran some difficult rated trails. Dragging the undercarriage, a few scrapes on the rock rails, etc were the norm. When we decided to make our first ever moab trip, a 2.5" spacer lift and 37's went on soley for the clearance they provide. Never once needed more capability than the stock jeep had, but the clearance was mandatory. There were ledges on top of the world that are simply too tall for a stock jeep. Not intrested in stacking rocks or damaging bumpers and fenders. I have no doubt the jeep would make it through the toughest trails, Fordyce or Pritchett canyon come to mind, but we aren't ready to risk the likely trail damage just yet. As satisfying as it is to get an under built rig through a tough trail, at my age I'll stick with the peace of mind of being over built.
Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People 20200828_112629

SimianHacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
Having wheeled in beater xj's, any stock jeep is capable. If you are willing to accept body damage and dragging the jeep over obstacles you'd be amazed what you can do on open diffs and stock components. When we decided to buy and wheel a JLU, there is a whole different set of factors involved. It is the wife's daily, so broken parts and body damage are to be avoided. We kept the JLUR stock for the first year, but still ran some difficult rated trails. Dragging the undercarriage, a few scrapes on the rock rails, etc were the norm. When we decided to make our first ever moab trip, a 2.5" spacer lift and 37's went on soley for the clearance they provide. Never once needed more capability than the stock jeep had, but the clearance was mandatory. There were ledges on top of the world that are simply too tall for a stock jeep. Not intrested in stacking rocks or damaging bumpers and fenders. I have no doubt the jeep would make it through the toughest trails, Fordyce or Pritchett canyon come to mind, but we aren't ready to risk the likely trail damage just yet. As satisfying as it is to get an under built rig through a tough trail, at my age I'll stick with the peace of mind of being over built.
Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People 20200828_112629
All good points... It really depends on the level of trail you're attempting. My next jeep will probably be able to handle more difficult trails but as it stand now, it's more capable then I am :D

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
The stock JLUR is extremely capable, even a stock Sport JL can handle quite a bit. There is probably a line you cross where you're adding more capabilities to the vehicle then you actually need or use. if I were to do everything over again, I would have just gotten a JLUR and left it stock (or tried to).

After my suspension upgrade, I will basically have a Rubicon without lockers, beefy axles, and lower gear ratio. I'm still about $4K under what I would have paid for a JLUR with the options I would want. It works great on moderate trails which is mostly what I do.
Totally agree. I will be testing the Rubi this Saturday (hitting trail just less than a week from leaving the dealer). I am betting it will do most of the things my TJ could. This time, I am building bottom up. Skids, bumpers, winch...but I know myself. I will be on 37s pretty soon. Thinking of a budget boost while I research what I want in a lift.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
JLUR pretty unstoppable stock. No lift lift and 37s and I was able to drag myself all over marble falls

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yeah...the side hilling wasn't good with Boggers though....If you grooved them they were okay...and I've done that to several sets of tires (grooving/siping irons are cheap).

I've always been partial to the look of these....

https://www.intercotire.com/tire/126

Never ran a set but the ones I've seen on the trail worked well and looked fantastic.

Just sucks they have such limited rim sizes as well as heights. A 37x9.5 to 11" wide on a 17" rim would be badass.
I've become a big fan of SSRs. Always loved the look of Thornbirds but they turned out to be awful tires. Running 38x15.5 SSRs on my old Ram and it drives better than it ever has

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Out here the radial Swampers just don't last. The Pitbull radials seem to have better sidewalls.
I definitely wouldn't argue with your off-road experience. I'm happy to report that the SSRs have great road manners for those who, for whatever reason, mainly DD their Jeeps

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
The first time my wife took hers off roading, we were in a group of about eight. There were a couple of bone stock sport models.

When she took the off-roading 101 class at Rausch Creek, there were also bone stock sport models. Granted, we were on green Trails, however they did not have a problem at all. In our part of the country we list trails in colors not numbers. Green blue black red. There were a couple of people who took their unlifted ones on Blue Trails. However, they had had some off-road experience prior.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
stock JLUR with 35's are just fine. Just pick the right line and have a spotter if you need. the JLUR is a beast and I am impressed with what it can do off road. add a good Diff skid plate front and back and have a blast

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
I have a Rubicon with 35’s and no lift. I also installed the AAL fender bracket and removed the inner fender liner. This gives me several inches for the front tires. I haven’t decided if I will do that for the rear. I go offroading, but not rock crawling so it may not really matter to me.
Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People B74DFFBE-2412-476D-95D1-597B52306503

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
What psi gives you the best balance of ride/wear on those? E rated right?
Yes, they are E-rated. I keep them at the recommended 36 PSI; the Jeep rides smoothly.

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
IMO most people lift for looks, not necessity. If off-roading is your priority start with a winch and some slightly larger MT's. As you get more comfortable add body armour and if you find yourself winching out of obstacles because of lack of ground clearance or articulation then you should look into a lift and larger tires. Just remember gearing is also important off-road and jumping to larger tires will change your gearing.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I’m getting ready to install Fox 2.5’s, but no lift. I think they will help in not needing a lift for quite a while. Your Jeep looks good as is. At least to me.
Fox 2.5s are an expensive investment. If you decide you want a lift later, the shocks you buy now won't be long enough/have enough travel to take full advantage of the lift. So make sure this is really something you want to do.