Sponsored

No Lift Off-Roading People

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
hmm. Does aired down matter? If you air down the top of the tire still has most of the air while the bottom might flex more... I guesss it would matter because aired up, there is some ballooning that goes on which may make it bigger than when aired down... although with belts, that is probably minor..

Either way, I now get it. Answered my own question :)
Beats me, but in the interest of providing complete information, I figured I'd add that detail. I just haven't tested it since I'm already aired down on any trail where I'm going to be stuffing that tire all the way into the fender.
Sponsored

aphillips76

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door
Build Thread
Link
Beats me, but in the interest of providing complete information, I figured I'd add that detail. I just haven't tested it since I'm already aired down on any trail where I'm going to be stuffing that tire all the way into the fender.
Me too. I’m old enough that 15 minutes added to either end of my trail run is worth it for comfort.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You guys have given me hope on aftermarket rims and tires on stock suspension, thanks!

Nicor

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
A JLUR is a bit of overkill for the San Juans. Did Blackbear in an old '71 FJ 4 door, 3sp no synchro 1st gear. Making 3&4 point reversing turns coming down those switchbacks with no power assisted brakes nor power steering was what I call adventure. Then proceeded on over to Imogene. Had to back that FJ all the way up last switchback on west side to reach summit. FJ couldn't make the long steep climb going forward due to fuel pump, carburetor limitations; had to get the gas tank uphill of engine..... Long before that Toyota, I drove a '61 3 door, 2wd Ford crew cab in line six over Imogene. Had a 4 Spd shift on the column with a no synch granny gear. A know-it-all type had just passed by me coming up this little hike to 13,400 telling his companions that a 2wd had never made it to the top of "eye"mogene. Then, as I snapped this shot, I overheard him advocating liberal politics, .... decided that pointing out my 2wd pickup parked below would be pointless. So, a JLUR driver saying he did Blackbear is kinda like saying he drove the Kansas Turnpike using higher gears. I get a kick from seeing disconnected, open diff $800 XJs with 250k on the clock doing Golden Spike.

2wd CrewCabTop of Imogene.JPG
This picture is Epic.
Thanks for sharing.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
You guys have given me hope on aftermarket rims and tires on stock suspension, thanks!
I’m seeing how i do with stock tires and rims for awhile. Next step would be to swap to a bit more aggressive rubber but I don’t want to go to 33s as I think they look off without a small lift. My next step will be 265/70-17, ideally would go to about a -6 offset to get a hair wider stance but may try the stock sport s rims first. Have put together a bunch of safety and recovery stuff, now just waiting on the national forests to open back up.

Sponsored

Jbeeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
The "always wheel with another vehicle" is like telling people not to drive remote roads alone. A blow out in a corner, failed tire rod, etc. is just as likely to leave you stranded on road in the middle of no where. Harsh environments, like snow, definitely call for a 2nd vehicle. Basic survival skills, water, some emergency rations, there's not a trail I've been on that either the wife or I (if one of us were injured) couldn't walk out of. For some of us the jeep is a means of getting away from people. People backpack in remote locations and yet the "experts" tell you not to drive out into the woods alone? Go prepared (much easier to do in a vehicle as you aren't carrying all your gear), do what you are comfortable with, but feel like your enjoyment of the outdoors is dependent on someone else.
I have a weird work schedule that rarely meshes well with my friends’ days off. I’m by myself more often than not and just travel with a Garmin InReach. Cheap insurance.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I have a JLUR 2020, This is my 5th wrangler. I like it to be almost stock. I have added a LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper with a Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 lb. winch (use it for many things besides wheeling). I put a Teleflex 1.5" Leveling Spacer Kit on it which adds 2 inches to the front and 1 inch to the rear and longer suspension bumpers. I like a little taller and narrow tire so I used 285-75-17 KO2 Goodrich that work great in north west Florida when aired down for our mud down here. They are 33.9 inches tall with an overall width of 11.2 inches on stock Rubi wheels. Its my daily driver and this set up works great on the road and in the forest.

SimianHacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
I have a JLUR 2020, This is my 5th wrangler. I like it to be almost stock. I have added a LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper with a Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 lb. winch (use it for many things besides wheeling). I put a Teleflex 1.5" Leveling Spacer Kit on it which adds 2 inches to the front and 1 inch to the rear and longer suspension bumpers. I like a little taller and narrow tire so I used 285-75-17 KO2 Goodrich that work great in north west Florida when aired down for our mud down here. They are 33.9 inches tall with an overall width of 11.2 inches on stock Rubi wheels. Its my daily driver and this set up works great on the road and in the forest.
I have a 2020 Sahara and I have it scheduled to have the 1.5' Teraflex spacer lift and I decided to upgrade the shocks to Falcon 3.1 SP2's. I also swapped the rims for some 17x9 with KO2. I was going to leave the suspension stock but found that when I'm off-roading with everyone in my family (5 of us) it would rub some. I was gonna put on a new bumper and winch but I just installed a Roadmaster baseplate and apparently it's not compatible with any aftermarket bumper winch combos. I found a bumper and winch combo that would work with my tow bar but its about $2400 for the parts and I'm guessing $300 for the labor. I have a hi lift jack with the winching kit to get me by until my bank account has had some time to recover... I guess that's Jeep life! Âş|||||||Âş

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I noted that someone commented about nothing to hook a winch to in the desert. That friend, is why you carry a shovel. (Same as we do back east of the river). You dig a hole, put a narrow “slot” in one side. Spare tire goes in hole, cable runs through slot to winch. You now have a low anchor that will let the winch haul your tail to more solid ground. Easy? No, but it WILL get you out of tough spots

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I have a 2020 Sahara and I have it scheduled to have the 1.5' Teraflex spacer lift and I decided to upgrade the shocks to Falcon 3.1 SP2's. I also swapped the rims for some 17x9 with KO2. I was going to leave the suspension stock but found that when I'm off-roading with everyone in my family (5 of us) it would rub some. I was gonna put on a new bumper and winch but I just installed a Roadmaster baseplate and apparently it's not compatible with any aftermarket bumper winch combos. I found a bumper and winch combo that would work with my tow bar but its about $2400 for the parts and I'm guessing $300 for the labor. I have a hi lift jack with the winching kit to get me by until my bank account has had some time to recover... I guess that's Jeep life! Âş|||||||Âş
LOD bumpers are rated for flat tow. You might have to remove the base plate but LOD also sells the Roadmaster adapters that go on Roadmaster tow bars and hook directly to the bumper. The set up would cost you under $2000. They make Signature and Destroyer series winch capable bumpers in full, mid and stubby versions and like I said the bumper, frame adaptors, skid plat and Roadmaster adapters for less than 2 grnd

Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noted that someone commented about nothing to hook a winch to in the desert. That friend, is why you carry a shovel. (Same as we do back east of the river). You dig a hole, put a narrow “slot” in one side. Spare tire goes in hole, cable runs through slot to winch. You now have a low anchor that will let the winch haul your tail to more solid ground. Easy? No, but it WILL get you out of tough spots
I concur, when you are out in the boonies by your self pre planning your equipment load (shovel/axe) and being creative makes the difference between driving out, waiting it out or hiking out.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Keep in mind that your Rubicon is equivalent to a fairly hardcore rig just 20 years ago. 33’s and lockers were better than 99% and if you were running 35’s you were a 1%’er.

Prior to 2003, no Jeep had lockers or tires over 30” from the factory.

When the Rubicon came out in 2003 it put a lot of built rigs to shame. Most guys back then ran a lift but no lockers. Only a small percentage were hardcore enough to spend the money that dual ARB’s cost. Then the Rubicon comes along and all of the sudden everyone has lockers....you had to....or a soccer mom in a Rubicon was going to make you look ridiculous.

I’ve owned a dozen Jeeps in my life, and when my newly ordered JL Rubicon comes in, I won’t touch a thing on it.
Not gonna lie. Your 1%er comment made me feel good about my TJ.

But, I now have a JLUR...because road driving matters we well.

SimianHacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
Not gonna lie. Your 1%er comment made me feel good about my TJ.

But, I now have a JLUR...because road driving matters we well.
The stock JLUR is extremely capable, even a stock Sport JL can handle quite a bit. There is probably a line you cross where you're adding more capabilities to the vehicle then you actually need or use. if I were to do everything over again, I would have just gotten a JLUR and left it stock (or tried to).

After my suspension upgrade, I will basically have a Rubicon without lockers, beefy axles, and lower gear ratio. I'm still about $4K under what I would have paid for a JLUR with the options I would want. It works great on moderate trails which is mostly what I do.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara