First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Big pizza cutter fan here. Wish the really big tires were a little narrower....like 12.50s for 42s.
i dont mind the pizza cutter either. tho, i would like a little more width. the 34x10 seems to be a good size dia and width.
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
My 38x12.5 SXs were great in snow and worked really well on rocks compared to some 15.5 wide SXs I had....more pounds per square inch, IMO. I would have liked something even narrower in that 38...like a 11" or so. Hard to find that though.
38x11.5 boggers are a great size. they do pretty well on the trails. just hard on the drivetrain.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Yeah...the side hilling wasn't good with Boggers though....If you grooved them they were okay...and I've done that to several sets of tires (grooving/siping irons are cheap).

I've always been partial to the look of these....

https://www.intercotire.com/tire/126

Never ran a set but the ones I've seen on the trail worked well and looked fantastic.

Just sucks they have such limited rim sizes as well as heights. A 37x9.5 to 11" wide on a 17" rim would be badass.
i would have to see them in person. to me i think they are to narrow for me. also the rim size are from 16 to 16.5. no 17 size. how ever the swamper ltb runs a 34x10x17.

have you ran the ss m16 on the street and trails

SPR Pumpkin Rubi

First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
skinny-pedal-racing.myshopify.com
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR, 04 TJ 1-Ton LS, 4400 U4
Occupation
Sell Jeep Parts
4 door Rubicon with 3/4" spacer in the front and nothing in the rear will rub the inner fender liners and sway while flexing. I have 35" maxxis razor running the factory wheel. If you run an aftermarket wheel with different backspacing I don't think it will be an issue.

Depending on where you wheel, dragging the belly might be an issue

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
4 door Rubicon with 3/4" spacer in the front and nothing in the rear will rub the inner fender liners and sway while flexing. I have 35" maxxis razor running the factory wheel. If you run an aftermarket wheel with different backspacing I don't think it will be an issue.

Depending on where you wheel, dragging the belly might be an issue
We added 1.5" wheel spacers to cure both of those issues. We are on 37's and a 2" lift, it was fine on road but rubbed inner fender liners front and rear off road. It's clears everything now.

Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Just did Black Bear on Sunday. A bone stock wrangler of any flavor would be fine, though you definitely should not be an acrophobe or someone who gets distracted by scenery. You also definitely need to understand how to control your speed going downhill. I was a bit terrified for the guy in front of me who yelled to the other jeep he was with: "Should I be in 4wd to go down too?" but even he made it to the bottom in one piece. The trail isn't technically challenging at all, it just is unforgiving of mistakes.
The pucker factor on the Stairs where you lean over next to the drop-off freaks me out. And the part where everyone slides for a bit after that near the water crossing LOL.

I would definitely have to keep this secret from the wife until we get to Point of No Return. She'd never agree to it.

She'd forgive me eventually (as long as we live).

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
The pucker factor on the Stairs where you lean over next to the drop-off freaks me out. And the part where everyone slides for a bit after that near the water crossing LOL.

I would definitely have to keep this secret from the wife until we get to Point of No Return. She'd never agree to it.

She'd forgive me eventually (as long as we live).
LMAO, I didn't show my wife any videos ahead of time for that exact reason - she was already worried enough. I told her about the recent video with the hailstorm, flying boulders, and landslides on the way down the switchbacks. Her reaction afterward was "that was a lot less scary than I thought it would be."

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
I did black bear last year in the JLUR
A JLUR is a bit of overkill for the San Juans. Did Blackbear in an old '71 FJ 4 door, 3sp no synchro 1st gear. Making 3&4 point reversing turns coming down those switchbacks with no power assisted brakes nor power steering was what I call adventure. Then proceeded on over to Imogene. Had to back that FJ all the way up last switchback on west side to reach summit. FJ couldn't make the long steep climb going forward due to fuel pump, carburetor limitations; had to get the gas tank uphill of engine..... Long before that Toyota, I drove a '61 3 door, 2wd Ford crew cab in line six over Imogene. Had a 4 Spd shift on the column with a no synch granny gear. A know-it-all type had just passed by me coming up this little hike to 13,400 telling his companions that a 2wd had never made it to the top of "eye"mogene. Then, as I snapped this shot, I overheard him advocating liberal politics, .... decided that pointing out my 2wd pickup parked below would be pointless. So, a JLUR driver saying he did Blackbear is kinda like saying he drove the Kansas Turnpike using higher gears. I get a kick from seeing disconnected, open diff $800 XJs with 250k on the clock doing Golden Spike.

Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People 2wd CrewCabTop of Imogene.JPG

aphillips76

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door
Build Thread
Link
Just got done with a level 5 in the Rubi on 35s and never touched the underneath... No rubs in the fenders... Did slide off a rock and got some rash on a wheel but such is life. At least there is a story behind it that didnt involve a curb :)
Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People 992DB0E9-9BA6-42DE-B3CB-A5F16E6E8178

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
Keep in mind that your Rubicon is equivalent to a fairly hardcore rig just 20 years ago. 33’s and lockers were better than 99% and if you were running 35’s you were a 1%’er.

Prior to 2003, no Jeep had lockers or tires over 30” from the factory.

When the Rubicon came out in 2003 it put a lot of built rigs to shame. Most guys back then ran a lift but no lockers. Only a small percentage were hardcore enough to spend the money that dual ARB’s cost. Then the Rubicon comes along and all of the sudden everyone has lockers....you had to....or a soccer mom in a Rubicon was going to make you look ridiculous.

I’ve owned a dozen Jeeps in my life, and when my newly ordered JL Rubicon comes in, I won’t touch a thing on it.
So true !! Remember when Bob Chandler's Bigfoot had 40" tires and it was a monster truck !

Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Just got done with a level 5 in the Rubi on 35s and never touched the underneath... No rubs in the fenders... Did slide off a rock and got some rash on a wheel but such is life. At least there is a story behind it that didnt involve a curb :)
Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People 992DB0E9-9BA6-42DE-B3CB-A5F16E6E8178
interesting, I was under the impression you would definitely rub with an aggressive offset like yours. Do you believe you've been fully flexed, swap bar disconnect, and still no rubbing on the fenders?

Could I get details on your rims and tire combo?

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
interesting, I was under the impression you would definitely rub with an aggressive offset like yours. Do you believe you've been fully flexed, swap bar disconnect, and still no rubbing on the fenders?

Could I get details on your rims and tire combo?
I can't answer for aphillips76, but I'm also running 35s with no lift and can verify that there is zero rubbing with my setup. At full flex, there's about 1/8" of clearance between the tire and the fender well in the front and back. I'm running American Outlaw Lonestar 17x8.5 wheels with a +10 offset and Milestar Patagonia 315/70R17 tires. Here's a pic at full flex - as you can see, it's close, but there is zero contact, at least when aired down to 15psi. I've never run a rough trail fully aired up, so I'll add that as a caveat - it might rub if you don't air down.

Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People 1600273146052

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I can't answer for aphillips76, but I'm also running 35s with no lift and can verify that there is zero rubbing with my setup. At full flex, there's about 1/8" of clearance between the tire and the fender well in the front and back. I'm running American Outlaw Lonestar 17x8.5 wheels with a +10 offset and Milestar Patagonia 315/70R17 tires. Here's a pic at full flex - as you can see, it's close, but there is zero contact, at least when aired down to 15psi. I've never run a rough trail fully aired up, so I'll add that as a caveat - it might rub if you don't air down.

Very helpful, including the detail about airing down, thanks.

aphillips76

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door
Build Thread
Link
I was ready to and was expecting to do some fender work to make my combination work based on many of the things I (and likely you) have read. However, on the trails that I’ve done, Miners gulch being the most strenuous, I have had zero rubbing and I have been very flexed out. In all honesty, I can’t tell you I was fully flexed as I have lead all the trips I’ve been on so getting documented evidence of flex has been tough (cameras start at vehicle 2). That being said, we drove over some narly rocks and went down some fun flexy ruts and haven’t heard a rub yet... and note that I have no doors or top on so we would have heard or felt it.

KMC KM717 with 0 offset... 315/75 17 KO2s Fully disconnected and aired down...

Hope that helps

aphillips76

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door
Build Thread
Link
Very helpful, including the detail about airing down, thanks.

hmm. Does aired down matter? If you air down the top of the tire still has most of the air while the bottom might flex more... I guesss it would matter because aired up, there is some ballooning that goes on which may make it bigger than when aired down... although with belts, that is probably minor..

Either way, I now get it. Answered my own question :)
Sponsored