DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious to how many people take there Jeep off-road with no lift? Not talking extreme, but level 2-3 trails. I have my Rubicon with 35’s and no lift. I love going down trails and I’m not a fan of lift kits. Like the way it looks now. I do mostly rock crawling and creek driving. That’s mainly what we have here in Missouri. Nothing high speed. All 4lo, with no sway bar and lockers engaged. Let’s here it from you no lift off roading guys.
I did with my YJ for 10 years and many, many miles. I had every bit as much fun as I do with my lifted JL running 35s. I later added 29" Mud Terrains to that little YJ and back then thought they were big! Lol! I don't remember encountering too many places I couldn't navigate in that Jeep. I used the skid plates a lot, but that is what they are there for. WIth my JKUR, I ran stock for about 60k miles and it did fine, too, even though it couldn't squeeze into the tighter trails like the YJ did. That YJ was a base with the only option being aluminum wheels and Goodyear Wrangler tires. It didn't have a radio or air, either, and a soft top with half steel doors. It was the most "pure" Jeep I've owned.

I almost kept my JL stock. I would have been plenty happy with it that way.

Give me a stock 2 door base sport with the standard tires and I'd bet we could amaze some people as to what it could do!

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
right now i have a stock 2 door sport and my initial plan is to wear out the factory 245 tires, then upgrade to 32s (maybe 33s). as far as a lift, i might look into a 2" spacers. on my list will have jks disconnect, rough country full skids, a rear bumper (maybe with tire carrier), and maybe a rear locker. plus a couple of small things. right now, i'm looking (more like waiting for the release) on the winch bumper and winch. my main idea is to build a moderate jeep that will still function well as a daily driver and road tripper, but have the capability of tackling any trails (except hardcore rock crawling).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
right now i have a stock 2 door sport and my initial plan is to wear out the factory 245 tires, then upgrade to 32s (maybe 33s). as far as a lift, i might look into a 2" spacers. on my list will have jks disconnect, rough country full skids, a rear bumper (maybe with tire carrier), and maybe a rear locker. plus a couple of small things. right now, i'm looking (more like waiting for the release) on the winch bumper and winch. my main idea is to build a moderate jeep that will still function well as a daily driver and road tripper, but have the capability of tackling any trails (except hardcore rock crawling).
I forgot that I installed front sway bar discos on that YJ. It made a big difference in keeping power to the ground. It also had a limited slip. I forgot about that, too. But it did NOT compare to a locker. It just helped a bit.

I think the 2 door Sport JL will still have more articulation than that YJ did even with the sway bar disconnected. Leaf springs only moved so much.

I'd LOVE to have a 2 door Sport in the garage. I bet I'd drive it as much, if not more, than my Rubi. The 2 door sport, V6, and manual hit 60 in 6.5 seconds as tested by Car & Driver, IIRC. I think it would be an absolute joy both on and off road!

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Stock JLUR up until now except for a good winch (that I've used a lot!). I've been on tough trails and stuck in the mud in places the other Jeeps in the group were amazed at. That being said, engine/oil pan skid plate is on order to go along with the Teraflex 2½" lift coming in October. 35s will follow in the spring. Two years of wheeling stock has been great, but I'm ready for the next level!

Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People 111376257_10157053554041428_1380317318689157184_n

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
A stock JL is pretty damn amazing. I've got no plans to lift mine other tham maybe throw a spacer in the front to compensate for the weight of mods.

I do plan to go to 315/70R70s when thevstock KO2s are shot.

Ya, there's some stuff I don't follow the big boys down, but I'm still having a hell of a time.

Last edited:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I forgot that I installed front sway bar discos on that YJ. It made a big difference in keeping power to the ground. It also had a limited slip. I forgot about that, too. But it did NOT compare to a locker. It just helped a bit.
yeah right now i'm open in the rear with just the blm. i have to admit that the jl handle the commute home in a snow storm without using 4wd was great. i only had to throw it in 4wd just to get over the snow mound that was at the end of the driveway.

I think the 2 door Sport JL will still have more articulation than that YJ did even with the sway bar disconnected. Leaf springs only moved so much.
i've gone wheeling with guys mostly in yj with 33s and my brother tj with 33 the tj had more flex. i havent hit any trails with my jl because there arent any around me to flex the jl. but i'm guessing it would have more flex than the tj. eventually depending where i move to. i'm hoping there be trails to hit and put the jl into good use.

I'd LOVE to have a 2 door Sport in the garage. I bet I'd drive it as much, if not more, than my Rubi. The 2 door sport, V6, and manual hit 60 in 6.5 seconds as tested by Car & Driver, IIRC. I think it would be an absolute joy both on and off road!
i have the 3.6 and the 8 spd. and its pretty quick getting to 60 mph without realizing it. i've caught myself doing that on a small stretch of road from the red light to red light. its a blast to drive. i have a friend that restored a 46 willys was looking at my jl and was impress with it. i told him it has a 285 hp with 260 tq, he commented "this is a rocket ship".

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler
I am currently running my 2019 2-door with 35's and a 2-inch spacer lift. I ran it for quite a while with no lift, but drug the belly a lot. That was on some pretty extreme trails, though. I really like the low CG setup, so trying to keep it as low as possible I'm running a fully belly skid now to protect the underside. Even on 35's, this Jeep is just plain awesome on the trails!

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Stock Sport S, have done a few relatively easy trails. Only mechanical change will be going to 265/70-17 AT tires. I have added safety and recovery stuff though no winch yet. This is a daily driver that will see about 15k miles a year so road manners count. Plus I’ve driven off-road in the past in far less capable vehicles so I think with a realistic expectations I can stay entertained and I‘m curious to see what it’ll do stock.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Easily the most gnarly looking section of trail I've ever seen if it's anywhere near Quebec. Where is this?
It's part of the Montagne Noir (Black Mountain) trails near St-Donat. Jeeps must be members of a club and the FC4x4Q to have access to the trails, but you can go anytime. I like these trails because a stock Sport (with all-terrain tires) can do the main trails and the lifted rigs can crawls the side-tracks if they want to.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Stock JLUR up until now except for a good winch (that I've used a lot!). I've been on tough trails and stuck in the mud in places the other Jeeps in the group were amazed at. That being said, engine/oil pan skid plate is on order to go along with the Teraflex 2½" lift coming in October. 35s will follow in the spring. Two years of wheeling stock has been great, but I'm ready for the next level!

Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People 111376257_10157053554041428_1380317318689157184_n
That’s a gnarly picture!

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
That’s a gnarly picture!
I think that was kinda the point of posting this one. I have a video of that trail too. The photo was taken by the blue JK Sport running the easier part of the trail. The point is that a stock Rubicon (with it's minimal under-body armour) can manage quite a lot!

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
I took my stock Rubicon down the "Rocky Gap/Potato Ridge" trail here in Vegas..I think it was rated a level 5-6 (difficult) trail. I had no problems! My buddy was in his JTR with 2" mopar and 37" Bajas (he definitely didn't have a problem)

Can't swing $7.5K for a lift and tires ATM. So I'll just enjoy it stock until work picks up. Still a blast to ride..I love my Jeep more and more everyday.

So much I haven't been riding my Harley lately.....ok I'll admit, it's WAY too hot right now...that's more than likely the reason.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
yeah right now i'm open in the rear with just the blm. i have to admit that the jl handle the commute home in a snow storm without using 4wd was great. i only had to throw it in 4wd just to get over the snow mound that was at the end of the driveway.

i've gone wheeling with guys mostly in yj with 33s and my brother tj with 33 the tj had more flex. i havent hit any trails with my jl because there arent any around me to flex the jl. but i'm guessing it would have more flex than the tj. eventually depending where i move to. i'm hoping there be trails to hit and put the jl into good use.

i have the 3.6 and the 8 spd. and its pretty quick getting to 60 mph without realizing it. i've caught myself doing that on a small stretch of road from the red light to red light. its a blast to drive. i have a friend that restored a 46 willys was looking at my jl and was impress with it. i told him it has a 285 hp with 260 tq, he commented "this is a rocket ship".
Lol, yep. Fastest production Jeep ever until probably the 4xE comes out. We'll see, though, if it is as quick. Maybe not, but it'll be close!

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Just did some light stuff out here in AZ right now. Trying to plan out how I can negotiate being a DD and off-road capability, really like keeping the low center of gravity I have right now.
Sponsored