Sponsored

No hinge bolts on your doors?! You crazy?

No hinge bolts?

• Total voters

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I’m confused. Do you all mean the actual bolts or are you referring to the nuts that hold the bolt in? Big difference in my mind...
This guy right under here

bolt.jpg
Sponsored

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
my TJ nuts were removed from day one. never to be put back on again.

i haven't taken my doors off my JLR yet, it's still quite cold up here, i have had the freedom panels off twice tho. but once i remove the doors, the bolts will likely stay off.

i will likely install the TMR delrin bushings like i had on the TJ.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Hmmm, never thought about leaving them off. You guys may be on to something, would definitely save some time as i have the doors off every chance i get.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
BA0FF013-C38F-4A37-B0CD-9BF73502C487.jpeg

No hinge bolts with eag doors. They don’t rattle with them off.
Rattling isn’t the issue, it’s the possibility of tube doors being stolen.

Granted, it’s a very, very slim chance, but it’s a lot easier than trying to get full doors off.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Doesn’t it cause the door to bounce up and down and squeak more? I’ve never done this.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had doors stolen off of my Jeep from the driveway.

We lived with my in-laws for a couple of years when we were first married. I had a TJ at the time. They lived in a nice neighborhood on the nice side of town ($600,000 home). My Jeep was in the driveway with the full soft top on and the hinge bolts were not on. I always left them off. The doors were also unlocked (I usually left it unlocked, especially if there was nothing important in there). Well the fine young gentlemen (teenager) cut my soft top windows on both sides to unlock the doors (they were already unlocked, but thanks anyway) and he made off with the doors.

Long story short, he ended up getting caught and he apparently was checking out Jeeps that he saw in parking lots, noting that they did not have hinge bolts, and followed them home to see where they lived. I was actually able to find my doors on Craigslist and help the police serve justice.

I’ve removed the doors on our JL about 5 times and we haven’t been lazy enough to leave the bolts out yet but I understand why you would. Obviously, if you park in a garage there is much less of a concern.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
So instead of the thief carrying a tool to unbolt doors, he would just look for one without bolts and follow it home. Sounds a little crazy to me . What if you were putting it in a garage.

Sponsored

carcollector

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon JL, 1970 Hemi Cuda, 1970 Dodge Challenger, 1969 Mustang Mach1, Superformance 427 Cobra, 1990 Bronco, 2016 AMG GTS
I'm on my 6th Wrangler but have gone through lots of cars over the years so that's kind of relative. My hardtop and doors are off and I have no plans to put either back on till the end of Fall season. I have other cars if its rainy or too hot. My question is about tube doors. I have never used them. What are the benefits if you are driving without pets or little kids? I'm guessing it is a bit safer (in a roll over) and provides a more "normal" feel but what am I missing? thanks

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'm having trouble with the idea it's such an enormous pain to reinstall the bolts. I can literally do it in five minutes. I keep them lubricated and can hand tighten them up virtually all the way and them just finish them up with the ratchet. I guess I'm never in that much of a hurry to get anywhere lol.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
My two cents, I'd be concerned in a roll-over that the doors could dislodge or become missiles. Just take a few minutes and put the bolts in.

OP
OP
TaxPhan

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I'm on my 6th Wrangler but have gone through lots of cars over the years so that's kind of relative. My hardtop and doors are off and I have no plans to put either back on till the end of Fall season. I have other cars if its rainy or too hot. My question is about tube doors. I have never used them. What are the benefits if you are driving without pets or little kids? I'm guessing it is a bit safer (in a roll over) and provides a more "normal" feel but what am I missing? thanks
I feel most of it is the cosmetic look to them; they just look cool! But the other thing is my wife thinking they are safer when we have the kids in the backseat (13 and 10 years old). Not sure if there are benefits when no kids are in it.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
My two cents, I'd be concerned in a roll-over that the doors could dislodge or become missiles. Just take a few minutes and put the bolts in.
Are you talking about the factory doors or tube doors. Factory doors won't go anywhere unless they are unlatched. Tube doors have a strap on them . If it's so dangerous why have the the jk guys been doing it for years and you don't hear of all the flying door stories.
Sponsored