Sponsored

No hinge bolts on your doors?! You crazy?

No hinge bolts?

• Total voters

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on my 6th Wrangler but have gone through lots of cars over the years so that's kind of relative. My hardtop and doors are off and I have no plans to put either back on till the end of Fall season. I have other cars if its rainy or too hot. My question is about tube doors. I have never used them. What are the benefits if you are driving without pets or little kids? I'm guessing it is a bit safer (in a roll over) and provides a more "normal" feel but what am I missing? thanks
I carry my backpack and other bags in the backseat and the doors help to keep them from falling out. Also having a door there allows you to rest your arm on something.
Sponsored

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sport s
Off but after the winter all four doors were stuck on, had to hit the top of the window frame to get them off. So with that I may put them back on before winter hits.

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I had never heard of this, nor thought of it. My off-roading days were when I was driving my '99 and then my '01 GCL so while this is my fifth jeep, it's only my first wrangler. Just had the doors off last weekend for the first time, but just for a day since the next day it poured out... Never thought about leaving them out, since it took less than a minute to put each back in... But I like the idea... Parked in a garage at night at home, and right in front of the door at the office, so maybe I'll be that tiny bit lazier next time they come off and then back on. :) Since my mirrors just arrived for use when I have the doors off, I have an excuse now anyway...

ShockerRacing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojito! Wrangler 392, 2020 Neon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I took the bolts off and am leaving them off for the spring/summer because I take them off quite often. When I am running my Motor City Aftermarket Tube Doors I put the bolts back on to prevent easy thefts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TaxPhan

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I had never heard of this, nor thought of it. My off-roading days were when I was driving my '99 and then my '01 GCL so while this is my fifth jeep, it's only my first wrangler. Just had the doors off last weekend for the first time, but just for a day since the next day it poured out... Never thought about leaving them out, since it took less than a minute to put each back in... But I like the idea... Parked in a garage at night at home, and right in front of the door at the office, so maybe I'll be that tiny bit lazier next time they come off and then back on. :) Since my mirrors just arrived for use when I have the doors off, I have an excuse now anyway...
Totally in the same boat. But after this thread, I've removed them and stored them safely in the cargo area. In Appleton, Wisconsin, especially where I work and live, we tend not to have any problems. But if I venture out to the big cities, I guess I'll put them on!

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My bolts havent been back in since the first time I took the doors off.

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody here run anything like these? I like the idea of keeping something there to keep corrosion out of the threads.

2A667DFA-66E9-458C-8523-47CD38560240.jpeg

Fatboy

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab, 2014 Rubicon X
Vehicle Showcase
I did a search on Amazon for some extra nuts for the hinge bolts, but I didn't see any. Would like to pick up a few extra for a JKU if anyone isn't using them and would like to donate...

Sponsored

toeshark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Anybody here run anything like these? I like the idea of keeping something there to keep corrosion out of the threads.

2A667DFA-66E9-458C-8523-47CD38560240.jpeg

I just got a set. They don’t quite screw in flush on the top because of the extra length of the top hinge bolts but that’s only noticeable with the doors off. It did seem to me that they’re less likely to scratch the hinges when putting the doors back on so I’m happy with them.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
I don't do the hinge bolts but I do put the door notch latch screw back in.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
First mod I did when I first pulled into the garage after picking it up from the dealer was remove the bolts and throw them away.
Similar. Took mine out, drank each with a shot of tequila then shit them in the front yard to show the dog what a boss I was.

Seriously tho, I take them on and off in a few min with powered driver. Did loose one while driving, will not replace.
Sponsored