Sponsored

No Driver License? Autonomous driving coming to off-road?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
You're making the "good of the many outweigh the rights of the few" argument known as collectivism. I simply don't subscribe to that theory as it's been proven to lead to "tyranny of the majority".
That's your interpretation of my words and you're entitled to it. I respect your right to have ideas I may not agree with.

To my way of thinking I'm, yes, making the rights of the many outweigh the rights of the few.

If you prefer, substitute the word good for rights, but to my way of thinking, don't mix the two because rights (things people are entitled to) tend to be seen by most as more important than goods (people's happiness.)

And I believe in this because maximizing the good (rights) of the most amount of people, in a world where rules can't be all things to all people, leads to the greatest levels of happiness, just as sure as you point out, that some people get short changed in the process sometimes. Yes, there are those cases where some community, desiring the jobs and tax income of some large entity votes in favor of building a large, say, hotel, next to some individual's farm land. And that sucks for the individual. But there's also the laws that restrict my neighbor from getting his loud heavy metal band together and practicing outdoors at 3AM so the majority of us can sleep.

And there are the laws that get in the way of the drug dealer earning profit at the benefit of reducing the creation of a community of addicts that can't function, and steal from others to fuel their habit.

Our law is often symbolized by the scales of justice. It is so because its rules present a balance between several competing ends including the rights of the individual and rights of a society (that often includes that individual.) Unchecked, these scales can become unbalanced in either direction and thrown off by groups with greater influence that an individual (I am guessing your point.)

I suppose "Democracy is the worst form of government," as Churchill said, "except for all the
others."

Anyway, back to Wranglers and autonomous driving. When the technology is perfected, and the number of accidents/damage/injuries/fatalities goes down, I see that as a good thing. Already, collision avoidance technology has greatly reduced the number of accidents insurers have seen over the last decade.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Those examples aren't even remotely what I was referring to. I was referring to natural, negative rights.....the distinction is lost on most.

…and probably me! We should probably just agree to have our own thoughts on this. You're right, I can't debate with you (I say with humility, not arrogance) a position of yours I admit to not understanding.