Sponsored

No Dealer Service support because I have a Mopar 82215382AB harness installed?

OP
OP
MaxD

MaxD

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
Thanks for all of the responses.
I guess my best bet is to remove the wiring from the tail light voids so their simple minds aren't baffled and it's not "Modified" any longer.
After that I will snap a photo of the tail light not working and the "aux switches unavailable battery charging" warning every single day and email it to the service writer to prove that it is happening otherwise they will tell me once again "could not recreate issue"

It's a VERY simple solution to make sure no power back feeds into the Jeep controllers.
With no power from the towing vehicle, there is NO load on anything in the Jeep ever, Nothing needs to be programmed - These are more of the excuses I'm getting from the dealer.

@ECP, The "Towed Vehicle" wiring harness travels from the front bumper to the rear bumper and is run inside along the door thresholds, under the kick panels and under the rear trim panels and they have to remove the rear bumper to tie into the license plate light. That's why they had to remove every trim panel on one side.

@mwilk012, I worked on it for 3 hours trying to get a tail light WITH the "towed vehicle" harness disconnected so I assumed it was a controller issue.
This was only one of the 3 issues I took it in for, the others being battery charging and NO engine stop start.

TRUST me, I absolutely dread taking anything in for service but, I'm not about to purchase a replacement aux battery to fix it myself.

I will report back after I play their little game and make them fix it after all.
Sponsored

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Thanks for all of the responses.
I guess my best bet is to remove the wiring from the tail light voids so their simple minds aren't baffled and it's not "Modified" any longer.
After that I will snap a photo of the tail light not working and the "aux switches unavailable battery charging" warning every single day and email it to the service writer to prove that it is happening otherwise they will tell me once again "could not recreate issue"

It's a VERY simple solution to make sure no power back feeds into the Jeep controllers.
With no power from the towing vehicle, there is NO load on anything in the Jeep ever, Nothing needs to be programmed - These are more of the excuses I'm getting from the dealer.

@ECP, The "Towed Vehicle" wiring harness travels from the front bumper to the rear bumper and is run inside along the door thresholds, under the kick panels and under the rear trim panels and they have to remove the rear bumper to tie into the license plate light. That's why they had to remove every trim panel on one side.

@mwilk012, I worked on it for 3 hours trying to get a tail light WITH the "towed vehicle" harness disconnected so I assumed it was a controller issue.
This was only one of the 3 issues I took it in for, the others being battery charging and NO engine stop start.

TRUST me, I absolutely dread taking anything in for service but, I'm not about to purchase a replacement aux battery to fix it myself.

I will report back after I play their little game and make them fix it after all.
Video provides better documentation.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Got it, I'm with you now. The Jeep is the tow vehicle - I was mistakenly thinking it was an item for the Jeep to tow a vehicle.

Maybe just disconnect the harness and hide it as well as you can. This really sucks. Good luck and hope you get it fixed!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Why was it so hard to get the tail light out? I haven’t seen one of these harnesses yet, not sure how it interferes.

OP
OP
MaxD

MaxD

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
@mwilk012 The tail light is the easiest tail light removal I've ever seen. Pop a little trim panel off inside and loosen 1 white bolt and the whole thing pops right out.
The Mopar harness isn't interfering with anything on the Jeep.
It's causing the tech's headaches because they refuse to use kindergarten electrical troubleshooting that they can't grasp.
Mainly because they have an out "this is modified so we won't work on it"
IT'S A MOPAR HARNESS!! It was manufactured by the same company that built the Jeep. :facepalm:

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Hopefully, the service advisor didn't add comments to your account that mention the mods they found. If they did, no matter where you take it now it will show up when they enter the VIN. Also, even if you returned it to the way it came from the factory, they might say that the mods caused something to burn up or short out. Hope it works out OK for you.

Last edited:

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
This doesn’t sound like it was worth the headache, would have been rather simple to fix at home.
The Jeep was 2 weeks old to me. It was actually 1 year old with 9600 miles. Even after researching the issue "Start/Stop not working - Battery Charging", I do not feel I should have to buy a battery for a 1 year old vehicle. Never mind the issue of which battery do I replace (primary or auxiliary). The Jeep is running perfectly EXCEPT for Stop/Start. Additionally, I'm torn between which is worse, replacing the AUX battery in the JL or Root Canal (verdict is still out). Anytime you have to unplug the fuse box, I'd recommend leaving it professionals (note: I know it's not that hard, BUT IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG it could have major ramifications).

That said, it was a headache, but I'd attribute it more to the dealer's customer service. 20+ years ago my 6 month old Tacoma started needing a jump each time I tried to start it. Drove it to the Toyota dealer, his response "6 months old and the battery is shot - we'll just replace it" In and out in less than an hour.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
The Jeep was 2 weeks old to me. It was actually 1 year old with 9600 miles. Even after researching the issue "Start/Stop not working - Battery Charging", I do not feel I should have to buy a battery for a 1 year old vehicle. Never mind the issue of which battery do I replace (primary or auxiliary). The Jeep is running perfectly EXCEPT for Stop/Start. Additionally, I'm torn between which is worse, replacing the AUX battery in the JL or Root Canal (verdict is still out). Anytime you have to unplug the fuse box, I'd recommend leaving it professionals (note: I know it's not that hard, BUT IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG it could have major ramifications).

That said, it was a headache, but I'd attribute it more to the dealer's customer service. 20+ years ago my 6 month old Tacoma started needing a jump each time I tried to start it. Drove it to the Toyota dealer, his response "6 months old and the battery is shot - we'll just replace it" In and out in less than an hour.
You said it yourself, changing the batteries on the JL is much more complicated than an old Toyota.

By now though, it’s pretty clear that the Mopar batteries are terrible. Best to replace them yourself as soon as reasonable.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
@mwilk012 The tail light is the easiest tail light removal I've ever seen. Pop a little trim panel off inside and loosen 1 white bolt and the whole thing pops right out.
The Mopar harness isn't interfering with anything on the Jeep.
It's causing the tech's headaches because they refuse to use kindergarten electrical troubleshooting that they can't grasp.
Mainly because they have an out "this is modified so we won't work on it"
IT'S A MOPAR HARNESS!! It was manufactured by the same company that built the Jeep. :facepalm:
I’m sorry but, why did it take you three hours?

OP
OP
MaxD

MaxD

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
@mwilk012
Troubleshooting, removing/reseating fuses (issue noted by others), internet searches for any possible "hidden" fuses, removing/installing tail lights, switching tail lights to make sure it's not the LED light, meter testing circuits.
I'm very thorough. :like:
How long should it have taken? 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Not sure if it helps but I had a weird thing happen when messing with a license plate light I tapped into passenger side tail. I went to move it and it was a crappy light so I was thinking about painting it and I literally shorted in front of my eyes, poof, no more park light on that side only. Ok, no big deal, check fuses. All fuses good. No clue what's going on. I'm was an electronics tech in the army so this is bothering me. I ended up noticing on schematic that there is another fault circuit. It occurred to me that the shitty light might still be shorted. Go outside, rip it off and confirm it's no longer shorted. Didn't fix problem, until I restarted jeep and all was good.

I think this fault circuit might be causing your issues. It's certainly an interesting set up to say the least. That fuse panel is crazy. Makes me miss my 86 Vette......Chevette. Lol.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link

Go thru the passenger wheel well to replace the aux battery. Easier than removing everything above it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
@mwilk012
Troubleshooting, removing/reseating fuses (issue noted by others), internet searches for any possible "hidden" fuses, removing/installing tail lights, switching tail lights to make sure it's not the LED light, meter testing circuits.
I'm very thorough. :like:
How long should it have taken? 🤷‍♂️
Ah just the way you said it the first time made it sound like it took 3 hours to remove a tail light. Did you try completely disconnecting the towed vehicle harness and rechecking lights? The body module can do weird things.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
The Jeep was 2 weeks old to me. It was actually 1 year old with 9600 miles. Even after researching the issue "Start/Stop not working - Battery Charging", I do not feel I should have to buy a battery for a 1 year old vehicle.
The batteries should be covered under the 3/36 factory warranty. When I was getting the "Start/Stop not working - Battery Charging" message on my 2018 GC I took it in and they tested and determined that both batteries were bad. They replaced both batteries and the IBS under warranty, about 1 month shy of the 36 mo factory warranty expiring.
Sponsored