Sponsored

No CD player so there HAS To be an internal HD to Store Music Files

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Right? The JK had both so I imagine the JL would need to have at least one for music!
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think so. There is an SD card slot which makes music playback super easy if you want to play off files. Otherwise there's a USB or Aux jack to hook up your phone, mp3 player, tablet, whatever. In addition you can stream with Bluetooth from your phone or any other BT compatible device.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Right? The JK had both so I imagine the JL would need to have at least one for music!
No.

Also, not all JKs had HDDs, just the 430 & 730 Uconnect units had them.

But they all suppprt external storage, and so you can decide whatever size you wanna add for just a few bucks (128GB for about $25 for name brands USB 3.0 with 100+MB/s transfer rates, $30 for the same offerings in USB-C if you want to populate the priority slot), so easy to add, swap, replace, etc.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I really can't remember the last time I used a CD player in a car that had Bluetooth. I did however like the HDD on the JK. If the new Uconnect has an SD slot, then it will be just as good as the old HDD and easier to use.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I feel like an SD slot is pretty much like having a removable hard drive.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
The HD in the JK's that had them had, what, less than 30GB useable? With the advances in SD density and the drop in pricing who would want a (relatively) fragile hard drive instead of an SD card these days? Don't get me wrong, I'm an old fuddy-duddy and I like having a CD player option (actually my Acura has DVD-A which lets me store TONS of ripped CD's on one disc) but in 2018 it seems like the option to link a portable player, a phone, or insert an SD card provides a ton of flexibility and better meets most consumers' expectations. I'm sure there will continue to be people (like me) that will be upset by the loss of the CD option but I'm doubting they constitute enough of Jeep's potential buyers to make much of a difference.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like they omitted the SD card slot from the JL media hub, and replaced it with a USB-C port.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Interior-USB-Ports-And-Media-Hub.jpg.image.1440.jpg

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
All of the new Carplay/ Android capable Uconnect systems have two USB plugs instead of the one USB/ SD Card set up. This goes across all models from what I understand as the Grand Cherokee has two USB ports on the 2018 models, MY17 and older have the USB/ SD Card set up as they have the older version of Uconnect.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Bummer. I would have actually preferred a SD. I mostly use my phone anyway. I have Apple Music and unlimited data so I can listen to almost anything at any time. But it would be nice to have my personal music on a SD for when I am in the mountains with poor coverage. I do keep a few playlists downloaded on my phone for that but I dont have much storage on my phone.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
With smart phones today there is no need for a CD player. Even if you dont have bluetooth there are AUX ports. We would not have such a great touch screen / seamless designed unit if they had to put a chunky CD player in there somewhere (yes I know there is room for it somewhere in there....but its technology...lets keep it moving forward).

I am pretty sure this same argument was had every time music technology changed.....those that dont like change will fight it....

No more vinyl players? ... :swear::angry:
No more 8 track playes? ... :swear::angry:
Whats this FM crap? ... :swear::angry:
No more tape decks? ... :swear::angry:
No more CD players? ... :swear::angry:
No more hologram readers? ... :swear::angry:

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Bummer. I would have actually preferred a SD. I mostly use my phone anyway. I have Apple Music and unlimited data so I can listen to almost anything at any time. But it would be nice to have my personal music on a SD for when I am in the mountains with poor coverage. I do keep a few playlists downloaded on my phone for that but I dont have much storage on my phone.
Thumb drive.

Or just have your offline music on your phone?

Storing music on an SD card is freakin' weird.
Sponsored