Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just order an Aux 14 from somewhere and wait for it to show up....

If you have a healthy Main battery, pull fuse 42 in the PDC and disconnect the Aux negative on the Main battery. This will have you running with just the Main until you can source an Aux 14. Doing this you will have no issues, no EVIC messages. Just push the ESS button routinely when you drive when set up like this.

Careful when you change out the Main battery that you do not let the Main cable bundle on the Pos side of the battery touch anything metal while you have it disconnected. Do touch something and you will blow your high amp fuse array N3.

For Aux 14 you can use...
Aux battery replacement:

DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA
Part # AUX14-1

Super Start Platinum Auxiliary Battery Group Size 400
Part #AUX14

Braille (Part# B14115) I5Ah 360CCA
Tests from factory at 483 Crank Amps. Wt. 11.5 lbs.

ACDelco Gold AUX14-200
@Rhinebeck01 - Is YTX14-BS an equivalent code name for the Aux battery in JL? There are no Group 400 AUX14 batteries to be found buyable in Canada and I found the YTX14-BS to be the exact same size and spec as some of the above-listed aftermarket replacements. Is this going to work as a replacement?

Leaving a link here to the Interstate Batteries website and the model CYTX14-BS
CYTX14-BS Interstate Batteries - Product Detail
200CCA, 12V, 12aH
6 x 3.44 x 5.75" (LxWxH)

Jeep Wrangler JL No Aux Batteries Available to Buy? 1659844661508

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
For fellow Canadians, found a couple of other options at CanadianTire that are YTX14-BS equivalent. One of them even had 220 CCA in the same size.

220CCA, 12v, 12aH - MOTOMASTER ELIMINATOR AGM Factory-Activated Powersports Battery, ETX14 | Canadian Tire - $136 CAD
200CCA, 12v, 12aH - MOTOMASTER ELIMINATOR AGM Powersports Battery, 14-BS | Canadian Tire - $116 CAD

I am trickle charging and giving one last shot at my batteries. Also, load testing both tomorrow.
If I end up deciding to replace the AUX battery, I will update here what I went with and how the replacement went.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rhinebeck01 - Is YTX14-BS an equivalent code name for the Aux battery in JL? There are no Group 400 AUX14 batteries to be found buyable in Canada and I found the YTX14-BS to be the exact same size and spec as some of the above-listed aftermarket replacements. Is this going to work as a replacement?

Leaving a link here to the Interstate Batteries website and the model CYTX14-BS
CYTX14-BS Interstate Batteries - Product Detail
200CCA, 12V, 12aH
6 x 3.44 x 5.75" (LxWxH)
@subashchandran

I'm familiar with "MC" / motorcycle batteries like you are considering.... I have hooked them up on Harley Davidson's especially..

I myself would not want to fool with / jury rig an attachment of one to a JL. The attachment set-up found on a MC battery (very different) will be a headache adapting to a JL. Change out a JL's, Aux battery and you will see the way it is resides/is connected. There is a room issue and more.

Aux 14's will be available in the future if you cannot easily source one now.

I just can't see guys/gals settling for a battery that does not meet the specs, is difficult to attach, may have attachement issues in the future, etc.. Just wait for an Aux 14 to be available.

Again, wait until you can source a new Aux 14 and do the Aux swap right. Either that or just easily bypass the Aux or delete the Aux if you are not concerned about warranty, etc..

>>Assure you have a healthy Main battery, pull fuse 42 in the PDC and disconnect the Aux negative cable on the Main battery. This will have you running with just the Main until you can source an Aux 14.

Doing this... running with just the Main, you will have no issues, no EVIC messages. Just push the ESS button routinely when you drive when set up like this. I have driven my 2018 JL for over 55,000 mi. and about 2 yrs. now with it's Aux bypassed. I have had no issues or shortcomings doing so.

Careful whenever you change out/fool with the Main battery.... that you do not let the Main cable bundle on the Pos side of the battery touch anything metal while you have it disconnected. Do touch something and you will blow your high amp fuse array N3.

IF, if you do properly install one of the MC batteries you mention, hopefully you will come back here and tell us about the install.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I wanted to replace the Aux battery (2018/3.6/ESS) and cannot find any for sale. I live in SoCal and no auto stores have any at the store or in their warehouse within 50+ miles. Are other areas in the same shortage? Thanks.
Well i think I found at least one reason why they fail so much ... and maybe, the actual reason we have these problems with them ..I just recently noticed that the console panel that houses the hub usb port connection stay illuminated after full shutoff. This would surely be at least one reason because its basically slowly drains the battery all the time. I don't know if u guys notice this in ur jeeps but it is definitely happening in mine ... as im sure in others..i'm not sure what genius thought of running those leds when the vehicle is shut off but id like to know if someone has worked this problem out .. I cant be the only one.. it comes on after all the other light shut of in the interior after about a min or two ..really dumb

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Well i think I found at least one reason why they fail so much ... and maybe, the actual reason we have these problems with them ..I just recently noticed that the console panel that houses the hub usb port connection stay illuminated after full shutoff. This would surely be at least one reason because its basically slowly drains the battery all the time. I don't know if u guys notice this in ur jeeps but it is definitely happening in mine ... as im sure in others..i'm not sure what genius thought of running those leds when the vehicle is shut off but id like to know if someone has worked this problem out .. I cant be the only one.. it comes on after all the other light shut of in the interior after about a min or two ..really dumb
@Petey

USB ports on a JL/JT are not on all the time...

Yes, All USB ports on the JL and JT stay powered up for 60 min. after the ignition is set to off.

No way to change this known behavior of the JL/JT itself, at this point in time / yet.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
@Petey

USB ports on a JL/JT are not on all the time...

Yes, All USB ports on the JL and JT stay powered up for 60 min. after the ignition is set to off.

No way to change this known behavior of the JL/JT itself, at this point in time / yet.

thanks for the info .. I'm going to check again but as I recall that thing stays on the whole time...even after the 60 mins u mention. I had my vehicle shut off for about six hours after I brought it in yesterday from the dealer that put in new batteries .. that thing was glowing just the same.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@subashchandran

I'm familiar with "MC" / motorcycle batteries like you are considering.... I have hooked them up on Harley Davidson's especially..

I myself would not want to fool with / jury rig an attachment of one to a JL. The attachment set-up found on a MC battery (very different) will be a headache adapting to a JL. Change out a JL's, Aux battery and you will see the way it is resides/is connected. There is a room issue and more.

Aux 14's will be available in the future if you cannot easily source one now.

I just can't see guys/gals settling for a battery that does not meet the specs, is difficult to attach, may have attachement issues in the future, etc.. Just wait for an Aux 14 to be available.

Again, wait until you can source a new Aux 14 and do the Aux swap right. Either that or just easily bypass the Aux or delete the Aux if you are not concerned about warranty, etc..

>>Assure you have a healthy Main battery, pull fuse 42 in the PDC and disconnect the Aux negative cable on the Main battery. This will have you running with just the Main until you can source an Aux 14.

Doing this... running with just the Main, you will have no issues, no EVIC messages. Just push the ESS button routinely when you drive when set up like this. I have driven my 2018 JL for over 55,000 mi. and about 2 yrs. now with it's Aux bypassed. I have had no issues or shortcomings doing so.

Careful whenever you change out/fool with the Main battery.... that you do not let the Main cable bundle on the Pos side of the battery touch anything metal while you have it disconnected. Do touch something and you will blow your high amp fuse array N3.

IF, if you do properly install one of the MC batteries you mention, hopefully you will come back here and tell us about the install.
The connectors style seems different. I agree this will make it hard to use the stock bolt connectors with that start screw bit 😔

Wondering if i should order a stock battery from the stealership. Or mopar parts online

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Just order an Aux 14 from somewhere and wait for it to show up....

If you have a healthy Main battery, pull fuse 42 in the PDC and disconnect the Aux negative on the Main battery. This will have you running with just the Main until you can source an Aux 14. Doing this you will have no issues, no EVIC messages. Just push the ESS button routinely when you drive when set up like this.

Careful when you change out the Main battery that you do not let the Main cable bundle on the Pos side of the battery touch anything metal while you have it disconnected. Do touch something and you will blow your high amp fuse array N3.

For Aux 14 you can use...
Aux battery replacement:

DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA
Part # AUX14-1

Super Start Platinum Auxiliary Battery Group Size 400
Part #AUX14

Braille (Part# B14115) I5Ah 360CCA
Tests from factory at 483 Crank Amps. Wt. 11.5 lbs.

ACDelco Gold AUX14-200
Is the Braille battery made by the Lighthouse for the Blind people that make all kinds of things for the Government???

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
My aux battery has been dead for about 28 of the 30 months I owned my Jeep. For the two months it worked, I used to turn the ESS off anyway, so I don't even miss it. Interestingly on a recent 2500 mile road trip, the battery recharged itself and the ESS miraculously started working after 2300 miles, and then died again on the 2301st.
My AUX battery went dead and i couldn't shut my motor off. I even took the cables off the main battery and it still kept running. dealer said it was because of my AUX battery being bad

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV