Sponsored

No Aux Batteries Available to Buy?

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I wanted to replace the Aux battery (2018/3.6/ESS) and cannot find any for sale. I live in SoCal and no auto stores have any at the store or in their warehouse within 50+ miles. Are other areas in the same shortage? Thanks.
Sponsored

fourseasons1621

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16JK 21JLR 20FXLRS 21PanAmerica
I manage a CQ distribution center and yes these batteries are extremely hard to come by. Even the local dealers have no stock on this battery group.

OP
OP
DanFelix

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Much appreciated. The shortage is sufficient reason to remove it altogether. The main battery is readily available. Thanks.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Just order an Aux 14 from somewhere and wait for it to show up....

If you have a healthy Main battery, pull fuse 42 in the PDC and disconnect the Aux negative on the Main battery. This will have you running with just the Main until you can source an Aux 14. Doing this you will have no issues, no EVIC messages. Just push the ESS button routinely when you drive when set up like this.

Careful when you change out the Main battery that you do not let the Main cable bundle on the Pos side of the battery touch anything metal while you have it disconnected. Do touch something and you will blow your high amp fuse array N3.

For Aux 14 you can use...
Aux battery replacement:

DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA
Part # AUX14-1

Super Start Platinum Auxiliary Battery Group Size 400
Part #AUX14

Braille (Part# B14115) I5Ah 360CCA
Tests from factory at 483 Crank Amps. Wt. 11.5 lbs.

ACDelco Gold AUX14-200

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Much appreciated. The shortage is sufficient reason to remove it altogether. The main battery is readily available. Thanks.
@DanFelix

No reason you can't run with just the Main. I have been doing so for 50,000+ miles. I did not even bother to remove the Aux battery.

OP
OP
DanFelix

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Just order an Aux 14 from somewhere and wait for it to show up....

If you have a healthy Main battery, pull fuse 42 in the PDC and disconnect the Aux negative on the Main battery. This will have you running with just the Main until you can source an Aux 14. Doing this you will have no issues, no EVIC messages. Just push the ESS button routinely when you drive when set up like this.

Careful when you change out the Main battery that you do not let the Main cable bundle on the Pos side of the battery touch anything metal while you have it disconnected. Do touch something and you will blow your high amp fuse array N3.

For Aux 14 you can use...
Aux battery replacement:

DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA
Part # AUX14-1

Super Start Platinum Auxiliary Battery Group Size 400
Part #AUX14
I tried ordering and they will not place the order unless the battery is already in the warehouse. This was the issue for OReilly and AutoZone. Might not be an issue for other shops, but in all cases I suspect my Aux will die before I see a battery. The "pull fuse 42 and disconnect Aux neg" is good advice to give me another weekend to remove. Thanks.

bonniejf

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
I’m in Alabama and also could not find an aftermarket auxiliary battery. Only NAPA was willing to order one and said they had stock at a warehouse in Indiana and it would be here in a week. I ended up buying a Mopar from the dealership.

For what it’s worth…the interstate battery distributor says it’s the same exact auxiliary battery that Mercedes uses and that the Mercedes dealership here buys up all the aftermarket stock of them in town. He said I could buy the same battery from the Mercedes dealership with a different label on top. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I have my aux on bypass, and only use it as a spare. I recently replaced the oem with an AUX12 battery. It's smaller than the Aux14, but provides similar characteristics for power. I use a tazer to disable start stop, so for me this was a no Brainer.

Amazon has the aux12, and so do many other vendors.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I tried ordering and they will not place the order unless the battery is already in the warehouse. This was the issue for OReilly and AutoZone. Might not be an issue for other shops, but in all cases I suspect my Aux will die before I see a battery. The "pull fuse 42 and disconnect Aux neg" is good advice to give me another weekend to remove. Thanks.
NAPA shows 8 at the Phoenix DC, and 4 at the Sacramento DC. You should be able to order at your local store and have it in hand within a couple of days.

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have my aux on bypass, and only use it as a spare. I recently replaced the oem with an AUX12 battery. It's smaller than the Aux14, but provides similar characteristics for power. I use a tazer to disable start stop, so for me this was a no Brainer.

Amazon has the aux12, and so do many other vendors.
I'm running an Aux 12 in mine and no issues too.

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
My aux battery has been dead for about 28 of the 30 months I owned my Jeep. For the two months it worked, I used to turn the ESS off anyway, so I don't even miss it. Interestingly on a recent 2500 mile road trip, the battery recharged itself and the ESS miraculously started working after 2300 miles, and then died again on the 2301st.

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
I wanted to replace the Aux battery (2018/3.6/ESS) and cannot find any for sale. I live in SoCal and no auto stores have any at the store or in their warehouse within 50+ miles. Are other areas in the same shortage? Thanks.
Just had mine replaced at the dealer. Went in for something else and they did a scan and found the bad battery. Had them in stock.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would not install an Aux 12 , 180CCA on a JL or JT if you gave me a new one for free to do the install with.

You can source an Aux 14. Yes, it may take you a few days to acquire it.

Sure an Aux 12 will "work" but if you are gonna go to all the trouble of replacing (or keeping an Aux in general) the factory Aux 14, go with and Aux that provides 200 or more CCA.

For 360CCA in regard to an Aux replacement ...... go with an Aux 14 Braille (Part# B14115).