No 3.6 auto with out ETORQUE?

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
Something I don't think people realize is that all vehicles will be some form of hybrid or mild hybrid within the coming years. Nothing anyone can do to stop it. CAFE requirements and emissions will keep getting stricter and this is one of the first steps of many.
Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Allow me to expand on the CAFE comment Alex made in this thread:
We have paper thin windshields prone to cracking, aluminum steering gearboxes that misbehave when hot, aluminum steering knuckles, eTorque, aluminum doors with 'dimples' at hinges and a host of other 'annoyances' due mainly to government imposed CAFE standards...

Best estimates are we have at least a 100 year supply of fossil fuels, based on current known sites and projected increases in use based on todays rate of use...
Is there anyone who really believes we will still be using fossil fuel as our main source of energy even in 50 years, yet alone 100 years? Maybe it is time to relax CAFE standards a bit...Depending on which administration is in power next year it could happen, or things could get a hell of a lot worse...

Last edited:

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
Allow me to expand on the CAFE comment Alex made in this thread:
We have paper thin windshields prone to cracking, aluminum steering gearboxes that misbehave when hot, aluminum steering knuckles, eTorque, aluminum doors with 'dimples' at hinges and a host of other 'annoyances' due mainly to government imposed CAFE standards...

Best estimates are we have at least a 100 year supply of fossil fuels, based on current known sites and projected increases in use based on todays rate of use...
Is there anyone who really believes we will still be using fossil fuel as our main source of energy even in 50 years, yet alone 100 years? Maybe it is time to relax CAFE standards a bit...Depending on which administration is in power next year it could happen, or things could get a hell of a lot worse...
Yea def not saying I like or agree with everything that happens due to CAFE stuff, I do like my eTorque tho. Just saying that more than likely this is just the way it will be.

Mchadpayne

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
If the vehicle is under warranty, wouldn’t that be an FCA cost?
Most everyone I know is keep a Jeep longer than 3 years or 36,000 miles. after that its your problem so you can plan of replacing it at 36,001. The ESS was enough to almost push me away, but I can bypass that.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Most everyone I know is keep a Jeep longer than 3 years or 36,000 miles. after that its your problem so you can plan of replacing it at 36,001. The ESS was enough to almost push me away, but I can bypass that.
Still seems like the extended Mopar factory warranty for an additional five years with deductible would cover that. Total years of ownership with Jeep picking up the tab for warranty related repairs, eight. After eight years, maybe it’s time for something new?

Also, most new vehicles have ESS and I doubt this technology is going away anytime soon. But yes, it’s nice to disable it.

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Nobody and I do mean nobody wants problems with their new vehicle. Your sentiments are shared by many on this forum along with myself... BUT... I do have to ask...

What benefit would FCA stand to gain by offering eTorque on this engine? If this feature is as bad a liability as it is made to seem, wouldn’t it make sense that the manufacturer wouldn’t offer it?

If it really is as bad as we make it seem, is FCA hedging bets against themselves and their product? I prefaced this response saying that nobody wants to have issues with the vehicle but during the first three year’s the vehicle will have a warranty in case SHTF.

And if eTorque is determined to be the root cause of the problem, they’ll issue a TSB and recall any and all models.

I say all of that to say, I doubt eTorque is as bad as we make it seem. There’s no denying that there will be problems but for those with problems there are solutions and a warranty to CYA.

Buy what you want.
While I agree with what you're saying most buyers have no concern over the warranty time period. People don't want to spend $1500-$2000 to replace it 8 years down the line. I agree the concern about it is overblown but you could bet that it's gonna kick out right after the 8 year warranty is done. For many people on here with all we spend on our rigs that's not that much money relatively speaking over the long term.. However the kicker is the ETorque doesn't really provide much benefit at all. Reviews of 2.0 with and without it have most saying they feel no difference. I haven't seen as many 3.6 reviews but the few I've seen shared the same thing.

More parts on a vehicle or more parts + complication is generally something that's worked up and over worried about. More parts + complication and cost should be accompanied by a relatively significant performance boost though. I think that's where issue with the ETorque mostly likes. The risk reward benefit(even if it's low risk) just isn't there.

Of course people could buy a new vehicle before then if that's a worry. Jeeps owners, including myself typically intend to own it as long as possible though.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
However the kicker is the ETorque doesn't really provide much benefit at all.
True. What is the function or purpose of eTorque? Is it critical to either engine?
The risk reward benefit(even if it's low risk) just isn't there.
Agreed. More parts that don’t necessarily improve function or performance yet pose a greater inconvenience of breaking don’t make sense.

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
I was exactly in the same boat as you when I ordered my 2021 Rubi. Really didn’t want the ETorque. Decided saving 3k by getting a manual was definitely worth it. Not going to look back

OP
OP
DayJ

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
After doing a bit more reading, I am getting a little more sold on it... However.... The location of the battery, I'm having flashbacks to my 09 JK's evap canister... Anyone you guys know of that beat up the skid it on?
Sponsored