Sponsored

No 2-door Soft Tops w/ half doors?

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
My dealer is telling me there's a block from FCA on ordering a 2 door with a soft top & dual door group. I don't fit under a hard top and don't want one anyway. But soft top, half doors & only 2 of them are required!

Does anyone know about this, or how long it might last?
Sponsored

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
There was a hold on soft tops for a few weeks, but that got removed on March 17. Perhaps it is in effect, again.
The half doors are not available on some colors, for some reason (Billet Silver is one).

As far as fitting under the top, both hard and soft are going to be really close for head room when up. The hard tops have "freedom panels" which are removable roof panels over the front seats, similar to the old T-tops from the 80's. So, I don't think a hard top is as much of a problem as you may perceive. That doesn't matter, of course, if you prefer a soft top, anyway.

OP
OP

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Just tried it online and it let me build a JLR premium soft top with dual door group.
That online configurator is widely known to be out of synch with the actual dealer build tool. They eventually catch up to most things.

There was a hold on soft tops for a few weeks, but that got removed on March 17. Perhaps it is in effect, again.
The half doors are not available on some colors, for some reason (Billet Silver is one).

As far as fitting under the top, both hard and soft are going to be really close for head room when up. The hard tops have "freedom panels" which are removable roof panels over the front seats, similar to the old T-tops from the 80's. So, I don't think a hard top is as much of a problem as you may perceive. That doesn't matter, of course, if you prefer a soft top, anyway.
Thanks for the info on the soft top hold. I'll need to check again.

The soft top vs the hard top is *not* close. I fit under both in the JK fine. The JL has quite a bit less headroom, and the freedom panels hit my head. (The bulge in the freedom panel is in exactly the wrong spot). The soft top has quite a bit more clearance. I have a super long torso & have had this problem my whole life. New Dodge Ram? Nope - roof reinforcement rib in exactly the wrong place. New F150? Great, but as long as you don't get a sunroof. I could go on & on.
Sponsored