Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Technology & part-time Google mechanic
Clubs

I fortunately had to upgrade my axles. This also meant I needed a new lift, steering, and of course tires. Originally I selected some 37x13.5x17 Cooper STT pros. I was really excited after not having my Jeep since May. When I drove from the shop I thought well this is different. Hard pull to the right, I mean the steering wheel would turn at 1-3 mph. I took it back to the shop and they made some adjustments, but still veered right hard. Went to another shop for an alignment, same thing. Switched tires and I was all over the road. I did my own alignment and same thing.

After hitting my head on my bumper for days
I decided to buy some Nitto Trail Grappler MTs (38x13.5x17). As soon as I turned my wheel when leaving the shop, let me say it felt like stock. I've driven now 500 miles and it's been the best handling I could imagine. These Nittos are amazing.

I don't know if I had a bad set of Coopers, but by simply feeling the rubber you can feel the difference on the rubber compound. The Nittos are softer, but feel more durable. The Coopers are as hard as toy plastic tires. I haven't tested them on the trail yet, but the Coopers struggled on the trails, or maybe I was use to running the BFG KM3s I had before.. But I spun with the Coopers while I watched other Nittos, Toyos, and BFG easily make it through some tough trails.

I'm not recommending any tires because each application is unique bit thought I'd share my experience. OH, and the veering right is gone, perfectly straight now.

20211121_114414.jpg

20211118_072313.jpg

20211121_114414.jpg
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Yeah, mud tires can be a pain. I’ve had Trail Grapplers that drove straight, and Trail Grapplers that pulled left. I’ve got right-pulling Toyo MTs now…

OP
OP
TMJL2018

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Clubs

Yeah, mud tires can be a pain. I’ve had Trail Grapplers that drove straight, and Trail Grapplers that pulled left. I’ve got right-pulling Toyo MTs now…
It's a roll of the dice with MTs. I hope I get 60k out of these Nittos because it seems like a good set.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
It's a roll of the dice with MTs. I hope I get 60k out of these Nittos because it seems like a good set.
Looking good Tim, what axle upgrades did you end up doing? If you get 60k out of aggressive mud tires let me know your secret :)

OP
OP
TMJL2018

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Clubs

Looking good Tim, what axle upgrades did you end up doing? If you get 60k out of aggressive mud tires let me know your secret :)
Thanks! I ended up upgrading to the Fusion axles. 60 in the front and 14 bolt full float on the rear. I also regeared to 5:13 and added a 3.5" lift. I don't see myself going any bigger because it gets in the way of my trail riding. Overall I'm more that happy now..

I'll keep you updated on the miles and see how far I can go. LOL

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
What air pressure did you have in the Coopers?

Also when you did your alignment did you do 1/8 inch of tow out?

OP
OP
TMJL2018

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Clubs

What air pressure did you have in the Coopers?

Also when you did your alignment did you do 1/8 inch of tow out?
I tested various air pressures from 34 to 27. It seemed best at 31 pounds. I don't recall doing an 1/8 inch tow out.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Worst tires I've ever owned were Coopers, second worst were Goodyears. I don't buy either brand anymore.

OP
OP
TMJL2018

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Clubs

I had a chance to put the Nittos to the test this weekend and I'm very pleased with the performance! Traction through 20" of deep sticky mud was surprising easy, climbing the same hills (loose dry soil) I struggled with the Coopers, the Nittos didn't miss a beat, and on the rocks there was no comparison Nittos hands down were better.

Where I did stuggle was on damp, rocky soil where it was just sligtly muddy. Although i made it, i noticed 2 Jeeps, one running Toyo MTs and the other BFG KM3s, didn't have the same issue (same line and similar Jeeps).

I love the KM3s and the Nittos seemed to perform as well as i experienced in the past running those. Howver, the Nittos seem to travel better on the road than the BFGs. But again this is just my experience.

Last edited:

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've had 4 sets of Cooper/Mickey Thompson tires on my trucks. All have behaved well to the end of tread life, which was very good. My tires were 2 sets of Cooper StMaxx and 2 sets of the Mickey ATZ p3. I do recall many years ago, a friend had a tire that was vibrating pretty bad and Cooper replaced it. Cooper owns the Mickey and Cepek brands.

OP
OP
TMJL2018

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Clubs

A 37x12.5r17 Cooper STT Pro review 180* out from my experience always leaves me perplexed.
I must have gotten a bad set. That's the only thing I can think of.

OP
OP
TMJL2018

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Clubs

I totally understand a company can have a bad tire. What I don't understand is,
"The Coopers are as hard as toy plastic tires. I haven't tested them on the trail yet, but the Coopers struggled on the trails, or maybe I was use to running the BFG KM3s I had before.. But I spun with the Coopers while I watched other Nittos, Toyos, and BFG easily make it through some tough trails."
Just my own observations and experience between the tires. As with anything take it for what it's worth.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
have always rocked Coopers.... never an issue.... but I wheel all over.... this time was Tennessee... never an issue no matter what state I wheel in....
Sponsored