Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 WK2
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My wife is running ridge grapplers and while they perform awesome on rocks, sand, mud, they are terrible in the snow. She runs Blizzaks in the winter.
Sponsored

GoofyGoober

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2016 Husqvarna FE350
Occupation
Computer Geek
I run 35 KO2s on my JTR and have not had any issues with them in the Utah snow. Our house is located on a fairly steep road that is always the last to get plowed and I haven't had to walk.......yet. :)

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I cant say anything about the ridge grapplers, but I really like the exo-grapplers, which are also a snow-rated all terrain tire. Also they are pre-drilled for studs, which I am running now. Great tires and seem to do really great on wet roads and snow.
the exo grapplers are truly an awesome tire for anyone who will be driving in snow, im surprised they are as rare as they are. They're most likely the tires i will be getting again once i get my jeep!

OP
OP
snelldogg

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
I had a set of Nitto ridge grapplers on my 2015 f150 and I always felt that on turns the back end slid out way too easily. Then after a trip to Colorado in the snow, I decided I wanted to get rid of them.
Ridge Grapplers do great in the dry and are super quiet on the road as well. However, my snow experience and the lack of wet weather traction outweighed that.
I switched to the BFG k02 and love them on the truck. Great in the snow and better in the wet.
I just mounted 37x12.5x17 ride grapplers this past week and should be driving to work tomorrow in 8-10 inches of snow. Will report back. My stock rubicon tires were awful in the snow and if these tires aren’t better than those I will be devastated.
Will hope your experience is better. Let me know.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Being new to Colorado I've been wheeling twice and had the Jeep on the road in three different snows along with icy mornings. I had bought the Kanati Trail Hog before I moved up here. Has been flawless on and off road.

20200915_124515.jpg

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Greg,

Sorry I have zero experience with the Nittos. I live in Longmont Colorado and went with the 35x12.5x17 Goodyear Duratrac Wrangler All-Terrains exactly for the reviews just given. The Duratracs are a wonderful rain and snow tire. Plus they were the lowest weight rubber in 35s I could find.

However, performing a chalk test, the Duratracs like running around 38 psi on my 2019 2 door Sport S at every temperature and weather condition. In the deep snow they perform noticeably better at 30-33 psi. With a set of diamond cables on the rear, I swear this thing can climb Mt. Everest.

Regardless of the snow, nearly everything off-road and no matter the season, these puppies run great between 15-20 psi.

So pressure does make a difference.

I'd also suggest to try lowering your pressure before running out and buying new rubber. But don't go too low if you're worried about premature wear. That's the other negative comment I've read about your tire brand. You can almost watch them wear down by the day. But in the snow or rain you should be just fine.

As @Zotch recommended, maybe 28 psi will be your sweet spot in any non-dry condition.

Good luck.
Jay

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
The Nitto RGs are not the best snow tire. They are just ok. Like has been posted the Dura tracs are a much better snow tire. Nokian or Blizzaks are top tier.

Sam

OP
OP
snelldogg

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Greg,

Sorry I have zero experience with the Nittos. I live in Longmont Colorado and went with the 35x12.5x17 Goodyear Duratrac Wrangler All-Terrains exactly for the reviews just given. The Duratracs are a wonderful rain and snow tire. Plus they were the lowest weight rubber in 35s I could find.

However, performing a chalk test, the Duratracs like running around 38 psi on my 2019 2 door Sport S at every temperature and weather condition. In the deep snow they perform noticeably better at 30-33 psi. With a set of diamond cables on the rear, I swear this thing can climb Mt. Everest.

Regardless of the snow, nearly everything off-road and no matter the season, these puppies run great between 15-20 psi.

So pressure does make a difference.

I'd also suggest to try lowering your pressure before running out and buying new rubber. But don't go too low if you're worried about premature wear. That's the other negative comment I've read about your tire brand. You can almost watch them wear down by the day. But in the snow or rain you should be just fine.

As @Zotch recommended, maybe 28 psi will be your sweet spot in any non-dry condition.

Good luck.
Jay
Thanks for the detailed response Jay. I hear you on all and not running out so fast to buy new tires. Will try to lower gradually. Have fun out there!

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I agree the duratacs are good so long as you are in 4hi (As any jeep needs to be). Wish they cam in 37s

cosmec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2015 Subaru WRX, 2012 JK-Previously
Build Thread
Link
Just got back driving through our “blizzard”

I felt the ridge grapplers did fine in the fresh snow. Not really great but totally manageable. Definitely better than the stock rubicon tires.

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Would love some opinions here. I like the tires. Have them inflated to 36lbs. Mine are 275/75-17. I currently have 26k on them and rotate them religiously but have never had much confidence in the conditions mentioned above. I understand that tires like this aren't going to provide the confidence an all season might but am I crazy?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
at risk of getting burned at the stake, ive never been impressed with Nitto tires. On any vehicle. On trucks i feel like my buddies with them struggle and slip more, need lockers sooner, dont grip wet/snow as well etc and i feel its consistent.

they are attractive because of the price and look, but i honestly wouldnt even take a set if they were given to me. Imo, just get a better tire from a company that really knows truck tires. General. Falken. Cooper. Goodyear. Being my favorites.

i used general atx, cooper discoverer, and duratracs on my vehicles in africa all with good success after dumping the bfg that sucked. I have falkens on my truck now And so far they seem fine.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I agree the duratacs are good so long as you are in 4hi (As any jeep needs to be). Wish they cam in 37s
When I had the Duratracs on my JK I never really felt the need to run 4h in the snowy streets. Off the beaten path yes, but around town they were great in 2wd. I haven’t ran many tires, but compared to the ridge grapplers, general at2, BFG KO, Goodyear MTR, and Fierce Attitudes the Duratracs ranked top for me.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Lived in Alaska and Washington state and tried 4 different brands of All season AT tires with the same outcome as you describe. It’s purely how I drove it, start in second. Just my 2 cents; hope you find something that works for you.

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red JLUR
I’ve been happy w Falken AT3W so far but only driven in the wet - haven’t had much snow in St Louis yet this year yet

Last edited:

Kojava

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
My story with Nittos on wet pavement isn't any different than most of what's written here. I was really shocked the first time I drove my Jeep on them on wet pavement. Did NOT handle well: steering, stopping, taking off. They look good, but I refuse to buy another set based on my previous experience.
Sponsored