Nitto Ridge Grapplers Break Loose Often On Wet or Snow Covered Pavement

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Would love some opinions here. I like the tires. Have them inflated to 36lbs. Mine are 275/75-17. I currently have 26k on them and rotate them religiously but have never had much confidence in the conditions mentioned above. I understand that tires like this aren't going to provide the confidence an all season might but am I crazy?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Following as I have this issue with the KO2 and am looking at the Nittos as the next set of shoes.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
My experience was that NRG performed weird on wet pavement. It seemed like they channeled water from the road directly onto my windshield. Especially when I went through puddles. Otherwise I liked them a lot.

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
I think most people run those at around 28psi?

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I have nitto exo grapplers on my rebel, it’s Nittos snow rated all terrain. They definitely hydroplane easily on the highway if you go through standing water, I have to back it down a lot in those conditions. I think any aggressive all terrain is like that tho. They’re a beast in the snow tho

Sponsored

OP
OP
snelldogg

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
I think most people run those at around 28psi?
Thanks, seems low to me but maybe I will take down a few lbs at a time and see the results.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hmm, interesting thread...these were the tires I was leaning towards for my purchase this spring/summer.

now not so sure 🤔

Coolbaldguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Watching this tread. I am in the process of mounting 37-12.50 R17 Ridge Grapples on Beadlock wheels. I have never run the ridge grapplers before and hope they do better on wet roads than the 35-12.50 17 K02's I had. I will report my experience here. Might be a week or so until I get them installed.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I cant say anything about the ridge grapplers, but I really like the exo-grapplers, which are also a snow-rated all terrain tire. Also they are pre-drilled for studs, which I am running now. Great tires and seem to do really great on wet roads and snow.

Huck.Offroad

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sales at Engineered Products
I had a set of Nitto ridge grapplers on my 2015 f150 and I always felt that on turns the back end slid out way too easily. Then after a trip to Colorado in the snow, I decided I wanted to get rid of them.
Ridge Grapplers do great in the dry and are super quiet on the road as well. However, my snow experience and the lack of wet weather traction outweighed that.
I switched to the BFG k02 and love them on the truck. Great in the snow and better in the wet.

Sponsored

cosmec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2015 Subaru WRX, 2012 JK-Previously
Build Thread
Link
I just mounted 37x12.5x17 ride grapplers this past week and should be driving to work tomorrow in 8-10 inches of snow. Will report back. My stock rubicon tires were awful in the snow and if these tires aren’t better than those I will be devastated.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I run 37x12.50’s on my F250 and I cannot take off from a stop without spinning hard on wet roads.

Snow was a joke. Looking forward to replacing them and the number one reason I didn’t buy them for the wife’s Jeep.

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Ordered, GMC Denal Diesel, Triumph Bonnie
I’m a Colorado guy who lives IN the mountains. A good snow tire means I have to park at the bottom of my road and walk 1/2 mile home. A great snow tire means I get to park in my driveway. Without studding them, the best I have seen is Duratracs. Ko2s are ok until they have about 8000 miles then they get hard and I park at the bottom. Have not tried the Nittos because they are generally pretty heavy.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had them on a Tahoe for a few thousand miles and hated them. Been preaching to fellow Jeepers they aren’t worth it. They are a bit heavier than other tires, they didn’t wear well overall, and I thought they were very loud compared to other tires.

My vote is for GY Duratracs, especially in snow and rain. However now interested in the GY tires they are putting on the Ram TRX and want to see how those reviews go.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I had them on a Tahoe for a few thousand miles and hated them. Been preaching to fellow Jeepers they aren’t worth it. They are a bit heavier than other tires, they didn’t wear well overall, and I thought they were very loud compared to other tires.

My vote is for GY Duratracs, especially in snow and rain. However now interested in the GY tires they are putting on the Ram TRX and want to see how those reviews go.
another tire to consider is the GY Ultra Terrain, very similar to the Duratracs but exclusive to @Discount Tire sometimes they have deals when you use their credit card for an even better deal.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-wrangler-ultraterrain-at
Sponsored