Sponsored

Nitto Ridge Grappler (A/T) and Mickey Thompson Baja Boss (A/T)

JRRE

First Name
Robert Jr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
First and foremost, hope all are safe and doing well.
Have another inquiry and hoping to receive valuable suggestions and input from you guys.

For starters, my Jeep is a 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude.
Until I find the exact lift for the jeep, will be going with the RC Budget lift.

Ordered the my Method Wheels 305 | NV | Double Black directly from Method : 17 x 8.5 | Offset 0 | Backside spacing 4.75"
Originally was told they would be coming in late September, but to my pleasant surprised arrive 3 days later... awesome!!!

Now, I am looking for tires... did extensive research through the forums, read up reviews, and thought out what intentions of use I have for my jeep.
It is my daily driver. Once every two months or so do some dirt trails and minor off roading. 85% daily 15% off roading.

Narrowed it down to Nitto Ridge Grappler A/T... Good reviews, reliable, quiet... drawback from reading is when the roads are wet, etc.
Pretty much what I was looking for until, the other tires that got pretty solid feedback is the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss (A/T).

They both look great and aggressive. Are both wheels comparable? Is one more advantageous than the other in terms ride (quiteness), stability, better in wet or winter conditions, etc...? Or really can't go wrong with either one?

First time jeep owner, thought best to ask you guys with most experience.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I can only speak to the nittos. On my second set, they are an awesome tire, quiet on highway, great off-road. I haven’t experienced any problems on wet roads, this being our rainy season, I’m driving on wet roads a lot . All that said, the Baja boss has got my attention. Love the way they look. I’m just waiting on some feedback on them, if it’s positive, I might try them next. You definitely will not be disappointed with the ridge grapplers......✌

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
I have the A/T Boss in 35s. They are a really new design and so not a lot of people have them yet. So far mine have been a great tire and are living up the MickeyThompson reputation for performance. I think MickeyThompson calls them A/Ts for marketing simplicity. They are closer in looks to a Hybrid AT/MT. Far more aggressive looking then the majority of A/T tires on the market. That said, honestly you really can’t go wrong with either tire.

Shown here the day I brought them home on my JLUR with 2” lift.

Jeep Wrangler JL Nitto Ridge Grappler (A/T) and Mickey Thompson Baja Boss (A/T) 50F101F7-BD27-4FB1-95AE-87DC5BF4FACF
Jeep Wrangler JL Nitto Ridge Grappler (A/T) and Mickey Thompson Baja Boss (A/T) 545E6881-6821-487C-95F5-BD122D052C90

Jeep Wrangler JL Nitto Ridge Grappler (A/T) and Mickey Thompson Baja Boss (A/T) D88FCDD7-39A2-41AB-A83B-65271F78492D

Last edited:

Ironjaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I have the Ridge Grapplers in the 37" size. So far I have put about 2000 miles on them and have zero issues with them on wet roads. I am curious as to how they will handle icy/snowy roads in the winter.

20210724_101327.jpg

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I have 10 ply ridge grapplers for highway driving. They dont seem to wear at all. I take corners on 3 tires and there still isnt any evidence of the edge of the tread rounding off like every other tire ive had

Ive heard guys driving 80,000km on gravel roads with these so you know theyll last.

Personally i dont care for them. Theyre nice but they arent aggressive at all, which for me means they throw tons of rocks.

My boss has grapplers as well. Told me theyre pretty bad in winter so theres a big downside. I havent had them in winter yet

Jeep Wrangler JL Nitto Ridge Grappler (A/T) and Mickey Thompson Baja Boss (A/T) F4DFFA19-BE89-4D12-920A-AC70641FA966

Sponsored

OP
OP
JRRE

JRRE

First Name
Robert Jr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I can only speak to the nittos. On my second set, they are an awesome tire, quiet on highway, great off-road. I haven’t experienced any problems on wet roads, this being our rainy season, I’m driving on wet roads a lot . All that said, the Baja boss has got my attention. Love the way they look. I’m just waiting on some feedback on them, if it’s positive, I might try them next. You definitely will not be disappointed with the ridge grapplers......✌
Roky - Thank you for the info! One of my concerns would be wet conditions (rainy season) and it's good to know the tires handles it well. Thanks again!

OP
OP
JRRE

JRRE

First Name
Robert Jr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I have the A/T Boss in 35s. They are a really new design and so not a lot of people have them yet. So far mine have been a great tire and are living up the MickeyThompson reputation for performance. I think MickeyThompson calls them A/Ts for marketing simplicity. They are closer in looks to a Hybrid AT/MT. Far more aggressive looking then the majority of A/T tires on the market. That said, honestly you really can’t go wrong with either tire.

Shown here the day I brought them home on my JLUR with 2” lift.

Jeep Wrangler JL Nitto Ridge Grappler (A/T) and Mickey Thompson Baja Boss (A/T) F4DFFA19-BE89-4D12-920A-AC70641FA966

The wheels look so great! Also, doing a 2-2.50 inch lift, these wheels look ideal. Thanks for sharing, your jeep looks great!

OP
OP
JRRE

JRRE

First Name
Robert Jr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
RE: IRONJAW

Thank you!! Hardly any rain in So Cal, but when we get the rare rain, it rains pretty hard. Good to know they handle wet conditions! Regarding icy conditions, usually head up to Big Bear, if I get these wheels, will let you know how they handle![/QUOTE]

OP
OP
JRRE

JRRE

First Name
Robert Jr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I have 10 ply ridge grapplers for highway driving. They dont seem to wear at all. I take corners on 3 tires and there still isnt any evidence of the edge of the tread rounding off like every other tire ive had

Ive heard guys driving 80,000km on gravel roads with these so you know theyll last.

Personally i dont care for them. Theyre nice but they arent aggressive at all, which for me means they throw tons of rocks.

My boss has grapplers as well. Told me theyre pretty bad in winter so theres a big downside. I havent had them in winter yet

Thank you for the info! Great looking Jeep.
Info taken into consideration for sure!
Sponsored