Sponsored

Nitto 38x13.50r17 Trail Grapplers - First Look + Pics!

BeachPilot74

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 2013 F-F150
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Hey Everyone,

I just got a set of the new Nitto 38x13.50r17 Trail Grapplers installed and thought I'd post some info for anyone who's interested.

I installed them on some KMC KM235 Grenade Crawl wheels with 3.5" backspacing. I'm running Synergy 3" springs and there is no rubbing on the street. I'm planning to split my fenders and install some American Adventure Lab fender liners to eliminate rubbing at full flex. They drive well so far on road - haven't had a chance to get them dirty yet.

They are 37" tall at 26psi under the weight of the Jeep. They are D load range.

Let me know if there are any other measurements you'd like to see. I unfortunately did not get to weigh them before they were mounted.

There aren't many of these in the channel right now but Nitto is planning to ramp up production soon.

DSCF4114 copy.jpg

DSCF4026 copy.jpg

DSCF4072 copy.jpg
Man these look awesome!!! I was leaning towards the 37X13.50x17's for my new 2022 Rubi... Until I saw that Nitto made them in a 38. If you dont mind, a few questions. What is your width on your wheels? I am looking at putting this on a 17x9 with a 3.5" BS. My Rubi is coming with the 4:56 gearing. What gears are you running and whats your gas mileage look like? Are you able to hold 8th going down the HWY. One thing I am a little concerned about, I plan on pulling a small RV with my JLU around CO and Utah, Using it as a base camp and then wheeling for 2-3 weeks at a time. Wondering if I am going to need to jump up to 5:38 gears to accomplish all this.

Great Looking rig!! Sure glad I found this thread. Only bad thing is trying to find these in stock!
Sponsored

OP
OP
track.n.trail

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Update: Swapping out my axle shafts for Dana Spicer Chromoly shafts did help with the vibration, although these tires are still not quite as smooth as my 37" KM3s. Slight floorboard/seat vibration around 30mph and 65mph, but not enough to be annoying. I would still highly recommend these tires and this size for the JL.

Man these look awesome!!! I was leaning towards the 37X13.50x17's for my new 2022 Rubi... Until I saw that Nitto made them in a 38. If you dont mind, a few questions. What is your width on your wheels? I am looking at putting this on a 17x9 with a 3.5" BS. My Rubi is coming with the 4:56 gearing. What gears are you running and whats your gas mileage look like? Are you able to hold 8th going down the HWY. One thing I am a little concerned about, I plan on pulling a small RV with my JLU around CO and Utah, Using it as a base camp and then wheeling for 2-3 weeks at a time. Wondering if I am going to need to jump up to 5:38 gears to accomplish all this.
Hey Garrett, happy to help with your questions.

I'm running these on 17x9 KMC KM235's with 3.5" backspacing. I think that wheel is ideal for this size tire. With 37x12.5ps I'd go with something around 4.5" backspacing to reduce scrub radius and steering effort.

I'm running 4.10s and I live at sea level. I get around 12mpg city and 14 highway, 15.5 tops if I'm going 65. This is much worse than what I was getting with my 37" BFG KM3s (16-17 highway). I only see 8th gear when cruising between 45-60mph - it's usually in 7th on the highway but that's not a big deal because 7th at 70mph is about 2050rpm with these tires.

If you have the 3.6 V6 your performance and MPG is going to suck pulling your trailer at elevation with 38s. With the 2.0T it'll be slightly less bad 😂
If your priority is being able to tow at elevation I would stick with a lighter setup - 37s with a non-beadlock wheel perhaps. Regearing to 5.13s will definitely help. I would 100% avoid 5.38:1 gears because the teeth get pretty small/weak with that gear ratio on a Dana 44 size axle.

Hope this helps,
Owen

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
track.n.trail

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Some more recent wheeling photos:

Jeep Wrangler JL Nitto 38x13.50r17 Trail Grapplers - First Look + Pics! DSCF4224

Jeep Wrangler JL Nitto 38x13.50r17 Trail Grapplers - First Look + Pics! DSCF4373

BeachPilot74

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Update: Swapping out my axle shafts for Dana Spicer Chromoly shafts did help with the vibration, although these tires are still not quite as smooth as my 37" KM3s. Slight floorboard/seat vibration around 30mph and 65mph, but not enough to be annoying. I would still highly recommend these tires and this size for the JL.

Hey Garrett, happy to help with your questions.

I'm running these on 17x9 KMC KM235's with 3.5" backspacing. I think that wheel is ideal for this size tire. With 37x12.5ps I'd go with something around 4.5" backspacing to reduce scrub radius and steering effort.

I'm running 4.10s and I live at sea level. I get around 12mpg city and 14 highway, 15.5 tops if I'm going 65. This is much worse than what I was getting with my 37" BFG KM3s (16-17 highway). I only see 8th gear when cruising between 45-60mph - it's usually in 7th on the highway but that's not a big deal because 7th at 70mph is about 2050rpm with these tires.

If you have the 3.6 V6 your performance and MPG is going to suck pulling your trailer at elevation with 38s. With the 2.0T it'll be slightly less bad 😂
If your priority is being able to tow at elevation I would stick with a lighter setup - 37s with a non-beadlock wheel perhaps. Regearing to 5.13s will definitely help. I would 100% avoid 5.38:1 gears because the teeth get pretty small/weak with that gear ratio on a Dana 44 size axle.

Hope this helps,
Owen
Thanks a bunch Owen. You prob answered the question that I didnt want to hear. lol I love the look of these 38's,, but like you said, I should prob stick with the 37's as I had originally planned. I do also plan on RCV's up front and Chromoly in the rear. 5:13's are def in the future for sure. I need 2 jeeps! lol Thanks for the info and taking the time to answer my questions. Now if they would just hurry and get my jeep built, that would sure help!!

Sponsored

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Looks like you have some slim fender clearance. Wonder if I’d be able to run these and my 2.5” lift.

OP
OP
track.n.trail

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Looks like you have some slim fender clearance. Wonder if I’d be able to run these and my 2.5” lift.
Seems possible! I’m only running 3” lift springs. Zero rubbing at full stuff. It all comes down to dialing your bump stops in.

BeachPilot74

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Seems possible! I’m only running 3” lift springs. Zero rubbing at full stuff. It all comes down to dialing your bump stops in.
Are just using pucks stacked on the axle or are you using an adjustable up top as well?

OP
OP
track.n.trail

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Are just using pucks stacked on the axle or are you using an adjustable up top as well?
Metalcloak bump stops (which give an extra 1/2” of heigh when fully compressed) and synergy bump stop pucks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
track.n.trail

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer

JL_Wildlife

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Turbo Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Everyone,

I just got a set of the new Nitto 38x13.50r17 Trail Grapplers installed and thought I'd post some info for anyone who's interested.

I installed them on some KMC KM235 Grenade Crawl wheels with 3.5" backspacing. I'm running Synergy 3" springs and there is no rubbing on the street. I'm planning to split my fenders and install some American Adventure Lab fender liners to eliminate rubbing at full flex. They drive well so far on road - haven't had a chance to get them dirty yet.

They are 37" tall at 26psi under the weight of the Jeep. They are D load range.

Let me know if there are any other measurements you'd like to see. I unfortunately did not get to weigh them before they were mounted.

There aren't many of these in the channel right now but Nitto is planning to ramp up production soon.

Jeep Wrangler JL Nitto 38x13.50r17 Trail Grapplers - First Look + Pics! Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 3.01.46 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL Nitto 38x13.50r17 Trail Grapplers - First Look + Pics! Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 3.01.46 PM

This looks great!! I just ordered the same tire. Can’t wait for them to arrive, I’m deciding between the grenade crawl and the new Teraflex Olympus Beadlock.

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
This looks great!! I just ordered the same tire. Can’t wait for them to arrive, I’m deciding between the grenade crawl and the new Teraflex Olympus Beadlock.
Jeep Wrangler JL Nitto 38x13.50r17 Trail Grapplers - First Look + Pics! peeking-whatcha-doin

I mean, we did just get in a large shipment of the Olympus wheels in...

JL_Wildlife

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Turbo Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Nitto 38x13.50r17 Trail Grapplers - First Look + Pics! peeking-whatcha-doin

I mean, we did just get in a large shipment of the Olympus wheels in...
Oh ya?? 🤯 😎 question: with a stock JL Diesel, would you say the 17x9 -25mm wheel would be the perfect fit with the 38’s? Would you add any additional upgrades to axels, etc from Teraflex? I’ll be doing the RT3 suspension with diesel specific Falcon shocks.
Sponsored