Sponsored

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
Dumb question about cooling… was A/C running or no? I’ve recently learned keeping it running helps cool oil etc… didn’t expect that. There ARE cooling lines going to the eTorque battery. I don’t know what runs through them tho.
Sponsored

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
Now I'm wondering/worried what's going to happen to my eTorque engine/battery system on the trail. I'm really starting to think I should have just kept my TJ. :facepalm:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Honestly, if you keep an eye on the EVIC and take a lunch break when the alternator starts to dip, you should be fine. We found that just letting it cool down seemed to solve the problem. Every time we stopped, we popped the hood to let it cool. That seemed to keep it at bay. The first year was the worst since we didn't know WTH was going on. The next year, we had an inkling of what the problem might be, so when the alternators started dipping below 13 and getting into the 12s, we pulled over, had lunch, and things were fine. Now, is the problem fixed? Not by a long shot. Two times in a row on the same trail in the same spot was enough for my buddy to start thinking about a '24 since there seems to be no real fix. :(
There is no alternator with the eTorque system. The belt start generator charges the 48v battery and then the DC to DC converter charges the 12V battery. I think the issue is the converter itself/ software controlling it as the 1st time it happened on hells revenge the voltage was all the way down to 9 volts and the Jeep died. Wouldn't start, wouldn't do anything. After popping the hood, taking a look, checking battery connections, etc and I think more importantly the time that all took, it fired back up and was at 13V. We were close to the trail head so I shifted back into 4HI and we headed back to camp. The only way the voltage bounce back makes any sense is if the etorque battery had the juice to charge the 12v battery without the charging system running. Through trial and error I was able to repeat the voltage drop in 4LO repeatedly. The tune from superchips absolutely was the fix. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the voltage to drop after. Being that the etorque/2.0t combo hasn't been available for 3+ years (out of warranty), and I've never seen or heard of the issue on a 3.6L/etorque, I'd say throw the tuner on it and call it a day.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Yikes! Taking my eTorque there next month!

So… 4Hi when able, carry a jump battery, watch OAT, and reset by opening the battery negative, 4-5 min high RPM charging with jumper cables… notes filed!
So… 4Hi when able,
No, bad advice. One person reports a correlation between 4lo and low voltage and thousand of others don't have that problem. 4Hi you're going to heat up the transmission now. I never wheel where 4 Lo isn't a significant advantage.

REDCOMETJLUXR

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
For everyone asking about when i was jumping it, cables are about 4-5 ft long and we had them hooked charging for a good 10 mins and i was holding idle at 2500rpm. Would I change anything from this learning experience/trip? Absolutely not it was worth the sweat, curse words and laughs among the group :CWL:
Also the jeep in question with the issues is not an ETorque, his is the standard 3.6 with the ess but as for where and how the aux battery was removed is beyond us, if there is no aux battery initially with this from the factory that'll be the only explanation.

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
For everyone asking about when i was jumping it, cables are about 4-5 ft long and we had them hooked charging for a good 10 mins and i was holding idle at 2500rpm. Would I change anything from this learning experience/trip? Absolutely not it was worth the sweat, curse words and laughs among the group :CWL:
Also the jeep in question with the issues is not an ETorque, his is the standard 3.6 with the ess but as for where and how the aux battery was removed is beyond us, if there is no aux battery initially with this from the factory that'll be the only explanation.
Gauge? That makes a significant difference. Put your volt meter on the receiving side at high amp loads and you'd be shocked at the voltage drop on high gauge cables.

REDCOMETJLUXR

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Gauge? That makes a significant difference. Put your volt meter on the receiving side at high amp loads and you'd be shocked at the voltage drop on high gauge cables.
8ga. Gonna pick one up next trip to autozone, got some maintenance before a Moab-CO trip and not a bad idea to keep one close now in the tool kit.
Also, can't remember if I was in 4H or 4L, you can see in the video when I was trying to get around him I was sliding, but was in one of the two.

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
So… 4Hi when able,
No, bad advice. One person reports a correlation between 4lo and low voltage and thousand of others don't have that problem. 4Hi you're going to heat up the transmission now. I never wheel where 4 Lo isn't a significant advantage.
Thank you for this! Makes sense. Also, I think I just realized that this whole thread was about a 2.0 eTorque. I have the 3.6 and I just saw someone say that there are no reports of this happening with my motor.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Actually this happened on a 3.6 liter but as REDCOMETJLUXR stated, the auxiliary battery was removed previously so this really was a case of just a dead battery…. But with no warning and wouldn’t jump start. No 2.0 was involved but some posters mentioned issues with their 2.0…..

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
So… 4Hi when able,
I think every person who's had the issue with etorque charging has been on 4lo from all the posts on here? Most made some high altitude correlation, which I proved wrong by replicating the issue as low as 3k'. Obviously crawling in HI range isn't optimal, but having a dead jeep is less optimal. Unlike jeep who tried throwing parts at the problem, I was able to 100% cure it with a tune. I'm not the software designer, but I know what actually fixed the issue on my jeep. If you're having battery drain on 4lo, try shifting to 4hi where possible and see if it stops. If it does, a tune is your answer in my experience.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Actually this happened on a 3.6 liter but as REDCOMETJLUXR stated, the auxiliary battery was removed previously so this really was a case of just a dead battery…. But with no warning and wouldn’t jump start. No 2.0 was involved but some posters mentioned issues with their 2.0…..
I think we all assumed a 2019 with no aux battery meant etorque 2.0t? I apologize for derailing the thread. Explains why you didn't see the voltage come back during the recovery process as there was no 48v battery to help out.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
This is not an issue unique to the Wrangler, it's just worsened by the fact that the ESS Wranglers have TWO batteries and either one failing wreaks havoc. The real problem is that automotive batteries are just garbage anymore. I'm sure you remember we used to get 5-8 years out of a battery...these days getting 5 years would be a miracle. 2-3 is more the norm. I've seen so many defective batteries that are no more than a few months old it's insane.

But I agree that this definitely sounds like a defective battery.
I got 12 years out of the Odyssey batteries in my boat, and they did a LOT of sitting without being on a trickle charger. I’m hoping the Odysseys that came with the Genesis system are as durable.

Granite18jl

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara 3.6L 8 speed
A group of 3 Jeeps (all JL’s) and a Bronco Wildtrak 2 door ran an afternoon Jeep badge of honor trail (Holcomb creek in Big Bear, CA) on Tuesday for a nice sunset rock crawl with friends. A couple hours into the trail after doing an obstacle one of the JL’s would not start back up. The lights on the dash were all going crazy and then the windshield wipers would go on randomly. We tried jumping it and that didn’t do anything. After looking at the map we decided best course of action would be to pull him out of the trail but we would have to pull him thru the hardest section of the trail to get to an escape route (which was not easy at all either, rated 4/5 in difficulty).

The middle rock garden was very wet and the boulders are huge and they move around with all the water and people driving and winching off them (which we had to do quite a bit of). It took us about 3 hours to get the whole group thru with the disabled JL taking the longest because no power steering or sway bar disconnect on 6/8 rated obstacles made it a winch fest getting it thru the massive garden. Once thru we hopped on the escape trail (Lower Larga flats) and the disabled JL really struggled on very off camber ruts and ravines that were torn up from the record snow this winter.

At around 1:45am we finally got him to the trailhead and he was able to call a tow truck!

We are thinking it’s the auxiliary battery failing and taking out the main battery…. I’ll post an update when we know for sure. This didn’t happen to my Jeep, lucky for me but unlucky for Anthony. The best part of this experience is that we all came together and worked our asses off to get Anthony’s Jeep to civilization. Team work kicks ass!

We got the whole thing on video since my son brought his drones and Sony to record us on the trail anyways….. check it out, fresh out of the YouTube oven 🤙🏼

So I have been dealing with this for about a month Now and nobody has an direct answer. I have heard aux battery, main battery, wire behind glove box, wires next to sway by disconnect, um and so many more. I have video of this happening but a little to big to post. I have had issues with car turning over at all. I have lost steering while driving. I have had wipers turn on randomly, the last couple of times have not been about to shift out of park. I have error codes from code reader saying its U1110,u1120,U11bc. I have cleaned connections i can get to push every fuse down from under hood to behind glove box, Both aux and reg batteries both changed a year ago. Also read somewhere that someone had Chrysler change the shifter and still no change with the lights.The best thing is Most of Us have 18-19 jeeps which are just out of warranty or almost out of warranty and it’s going to cost the owner out of pocket to fix which is pure Bs. I had to cut the video because it would upload also shows how My Jeep wont shift out of park while the lights are on. There is going to have to be some kind of service bulletin put out by Chrysler soon I know they don’t want responsibility for this but its a manufacturing issue and needs to be addressed before someone get hurt while there jeep just shuts down while they are driving.
THIS, wish we would have tried this and if something like this happens again we will absolutely do this!

. lol, we all laughed about this as we were finishing the trail at 2am 🤣. I don’t collect the badges so it doesn’t really matter to me but I don’t consider myself as finishing this trail and would say no, it doesn’t qualify as a badge 🤨

weird, my 3.6 has etorque and haven’t had any issues…. Yet!
Hope it doesn’t happen to you either.

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Well, Anthony mentions on the radio “that’s the price of off-roading, it’s going to happen at some point”…… true, if you Offroad enough there will be a time that comes where a recovery will be needed. Just a matter of time
Sponsored