Sponsored

NHTSA Investigating 2018–2019 Jeep Wrangler over Frame, Steering Complaints

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
That's wonderful! And part of why I still bothered to order a 2020 in the first place. Mixed in with all of the (legit, imho) defective steering complaints, I've seen plenty of people say theirs was fine.

Again to recap, a little tiny bit of play in the steering is probably normal. If you have less than an inch of play you're probably fine. My JK had about that much. If you have 2-4" something probably isn't right.
Sponsored

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
I purchased my '18 JLU new off of the lot late June of this year. I drove a Yukon Denali XL before that. My dealer performed the V41 at my first 5K service. Prior to the service the steering was perfect. No slop, no play, no dead spots, nothing that would lead me to believe that a steering issue existed. After the upgrade I can still say the same exact thing about my steering. No issues. In two weeks I'm going bow hunting in WV up a mountain to elevations over 3300'. It is NOT paved highway to the top. It is all old logging trails that are usually washed out in area. My Denali did fine there. I look for my JLU to do great! I think that will exercise the steering greatly.

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
I think I qualify as a pretty hard core Off Roader, and am recently retired from being a Jeep dealer with more than 40 years listening to customers and trying to find a solution for their needs. I sold my 2011 Rubicon that was setup for and did most of the toughest trails in the Western US, and replaced it with a 2019 JL, which I’ve made dream list mods to with over $100 k invested.
I expected my 2019 to behave better on the highway than my 2011, but that is not the case. At highway speeds going in straight lines, it takes constant attention to stay in the lane. When the highway is grooved or construction is underway with modified lane markings, I really have to stay on my toes.
I was familiar with complaints before I ordered my JL, and when I picked it up, I noticed the wandering right away. I still took it to the shop and spent over $50k in mods, feeling that eventually there would be a fix.
There is definitely a problem, and I’m confident that FCA will find it soon, hopefully before people get killed, but it’s best to speak up so they understand it’s a serious problem.

Loren

To further prove that the issues are real, despite the cover lots of people here are giving to FCA: My JLR has exactly 0 issues with the death wobble, steering play or wandering. If all the Jeeps were expected to have some play in the steering, wander a bit or even have the death wobble, why doesn't mine? Why didn't my JK? This is clearly a dangerous design defect on the new Wranglers that needs to be addressed. The fact that Jeeps are still being sold as is before this is addressed is downright shady of FCA. They know they have a huge problem on their hands. FCA is avoiding responsibility by not pulling every Jeep off of the dealer lots to issue a fix before selling them.

Sponsored

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I will second Lorenc"s observation. I sold my 2012 Rubicon to a friend. About three months later I got to drive the 2012 after having driven my 2018 JL Rubicon for three months. The 2012 went straight down the road compared to the 2018.
I will probably try the adjustable control arms first to correct caster. If that is not enough, I will go the Steer Smarts route.
Time to file my report.

gotime4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Ocean Blue, 2019 Ram 1500 etorque Laramie
Is there a link someone can post so everyone with the issues can have quick access to file a report?

YerMaun

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUS, '15 JGC SRT, '11 R8 V10, '05 Mustang GT
I am another one with zero steering/wobble issues on my '18 JLUS. Mine drives just like my other cars (which are all quite tight and sporty), no lane wandering or other weird behaviour. So if there are folks with inches of play around steering center, I'd say it's not 'a Jeep thing', they definitely have a legitimate issue. I wish them the best luck resolving it.

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am another one with zero steering/wobble issues on my '18 JLUS. Mine drives just like my other cars (which are all quite tight and sporty), no lane wandering or other weird behaviour. So if there are folks with inches of play around steering center, I'd say it's not 'a Jeep thing', they definitely have a legitimate issue. I wish them the best luck resolving it.

I’d pay 55k for that.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I will second Lorenc"s observation. I sold my 2012 Rubicon to a friend. About three months later I got to drive the 2012 after having driven my 2018 JL Rubicon for three months. The 2012 went straight down the road compared to the 2018.
I will probably try the adjustable control arms first to correct caster. If that is not enough, I will go the Steer Smarts route.
Time to file my report.

Yep, I had a 2018 jk, no pull drift or other steering issues. Got a 19 jlur, steered/tracked right. Dealer admitted it wasn't right and I do give chrysler credit they were thorough in diagnosing /trouble shooting. Mine was "fixed" when they pulled the fuse on the power steering (pulling stopped) then when they replaced the fuse it no longer pulled.

Power steering units in jls got too complicated imo. Computers and electronics complicate everything. I did test drive another rubi and it pulled too. Fortunately mine is good now. Didn't experience the play others described. We will see what fca does.

ReefGoat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JLU Sport
'18 JLUS base model here. On the base model "mail truck" looking wheels and tires it had a wobble. Similar to the wobble that my previous jeeps got whenever I put aftermarket wheels on. Not horrible, but just a slight shimmy. I put Rubicon wheels and tires and Rubicon suspension on it and it is literally the best driving jeep I've owned, cured the shimmy. Been in wranglers since '11 and this is my 4th one. Every single person that rides in it is pretty impressed with the way it drives. However, the other day I took it on a long trip and ONE time after I filled up I forgot to turn off the Auto Start/OFF and it did some weird stuff. Kinda even hard to explain. But I had to turn the jeep off and then back on to even move. Then it had a warning light for the Auto Start system. But the next time I turned it off and it sat for about an hour. The warning light went off and it hasn't acted up since. I plan on figuring out how to disable it so i'm not even going to worry about it. But that's my only complaint.

Blues

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My 2018 jLUR has shimmied since day one. It's still stone stock, because I keep believing that sooner or later it will be fixed. I have the tires and wheels sitting in the shop that I took of my JK when I traded it in. I have the service reports that say no problem found, and also say "suspect operator may be unfamiliar with the way stiffer suspension rides". Like that would cause a shimmy? I have driven 4 whl drive vehicles for 55 years, and never had anything tick me off so badly. FCAs apathetic attitude and the dealers dismissive attitude just gave me an attitude. But thanks to this forum I'll be filing my complaint as soon as I close this out. Without an official complaint I'm just another whisper in the wind.

Sgt Krypto

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 SWorks Tarmac, '19 JLR 6mt V6 Silver, '19 GW3/F350 Silver, '01 996 Turbo Silver, '14 991 Turbo-S White (my daily beater), '19 991 Turbo-S Black
Occupation
Village Idiot, Abu Ghraib Prison Electrician
I'm on my 5th Jeep, 1st Jeep was a M151 in the late 60s, so maybe I'm just used to how they drive BUT:

My 2019 JLR has zero problems with death wobble and as a Ford F350 owner I know real death wobble. My 2019 JLR doesn't wander around at all. I run the tires at 37 PSI and do my own rotations every 3000 miles. I won't take FCA up on the replacement steering stabilizer because if it ain't broke don't fix it. I might buy my own new stabilizer and swap out my OEM stabilizer and keep my OEM stabilizer just in case the new one _is_ broke. My 2015 Subaru Outback wandered around like Otis out of the Andy Griffin show. The Subaru dealer said "they all drive like that, get used to it." So after the third time getting pulled over in the Outback for DWI (I don't drink/smoke/etc) I sold it to pay for the 2019 JLR.

I also own a 2001 Porsche 911 996 Turbo and I use to have a 1999 Corvette Z06. In the curvy mountain back roads, the 911 handled best, the Z06 was good but nothing like the Porsche. The JLR handles well, a lot better than the Outback but nothing like the Porsche. The worst handling vehicle I've ever "driven" is the Caterpillar D9 ( https://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/dozers/large-dozers/18548120.html AKA: a doobi), the doobi is top-heavy and seriously oversteers. But the 911 and Z06 don't rock crawl well at all. Maybe I should complain about the doobi to the nanny state because it doesn't handle like my Porsche -- 'cuz, come on folks, its 2019, all vehicles with a seat, an engine, brakes and an accelerator should all handle the same.

catd9njlr.jpg

<\irony>
Sponsored

Last edited: