Sponsored

NHTSA Development - petition for frame welds investigation

ch49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara JL
Thanks for the info. So you demanded a 19’ I imagine as these kinks would have a better likelihood of being worked out...smart move
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
If buying iwoukd make the dealer put it on alift for inspection by you and whoever you bring with you. Hopefully you or whoever you bring knows welding. Ive been welding for years, chopped motorcycles. I am still planning on bring a second certified welder orcertified welding instructor when i pick my2019 up. Not going through what i did with my 2018.
Voice of experience , here . Very astute .

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
Mine should be at the dealership by Monday next week. I'm going to inspect it myself, as my two certified welders are going to be out of town and/or teaching all next week.

I feel pretty confident in myself performing a solid visual inspection of the welds considering all of the things I've learned about welding over the past 3+ months, these galvanized frames, and other Wrangler welds I've seen since my first JLUR. I also specifically asked the build to have another inspection of the welds at the frame plant before assembly. We'll see if that even happened. :lipssealed:

I've already told the FCA rep, the dealership, and the replacement company that I'm walking if the steering and welds are not fixed.

ch49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara JL
Mine should be at the dealership by Monday next week. I'm going to inspect it myself, as my two certified welders are going to be out of town and/or teaching all next week.

I feel pretty confident in myself performing a solid visual inspection of the welds considering all of the things I've learned about welding over the past 3+ months, these galvanized frames, and other Wrangler welds I've seen since my first JLUR. I also specifically asked the build to have another inspection of the welds at the frame plant before assembly. We'll see if that even happened. :lipssealed:

I've already told the FCA rep, the dealership, and the replacement company that I'm walking if the steering and welds are not fixed.
Great approach. Will keep you posted when this STAR mechanic finally shows.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Can you all list your build dates if you know them?
Of ou new ones? My build should be almost right away due to hotlisting.
Build date of my old one is in my avatar details to the left.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
Build date of 2/14/18. JLUR.

However, please note that, like the wandering steering issues reported by many owners, the weld issues have been present on many month Wrangler builds and spread over at least a 6-7 month period. I've seen bad track bar bracket welds on owner builds from last November to July of this year. Honestly, I do not feel narrowing down by build date will provide much detail. Some may have been affected more during February/March. But all month builds have had the issues.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport

Don't forget the track bar welds .

ch49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara JL
Don't forget the track bar welds .
Got it ok. Thanks for the info. Just trying to get a ballpark but as you said. It’s been a w
Build date of 2/14/18. JLUR.

However, please note that, like the wandering steering issues reported by many owners, the weld issues have been present on many month Wrangler builds and spread over at least a 6-7 month period. I've seen bad track bar bracket welds on owner builds from last November to July of this year. Honestly, I do not feel narrowing down by build date will provide much detail. Some may have been affected more during February/March. But all month builds have had the issues.
Got it. Again, thanks for this info.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Got it ok. Thanks for the info. Just trying to get a ballpark but as you said. It’s been a w

Got it. Again, thanks for this info.
6/6/18 here. I’ve been told build dates of the vehicle don’t matter. It’s the build dates of the frames themselves. Problem is, no one seems to know how to figure out frame build dates.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I also specifically asked the build to have another inspection of the welds at the frame plant before assembly.
Brilliant moves .

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supposedly fca will be inspecting my frame before assembly as well. Then again after assembly and again upon arrival at my dealer with me present. I am planning to ask for documentation from each of these inspections. Hell i told them that they can fly me out to the factory and i will inspect the frame myself. Fca didnt bite on that offer.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Supposedly fca will be inspecting my frame before assembly as well. Then again after assembly and again upon arrival at my dealer with me present. I am planning to ask for documentation from each of these inspections. Hell i told them that they can fly me out to the factory and i will inspect the frame myself. Fca didnt bite on that offer.
They don't want you telling everybody what you would see there , lol .

The title of your thread would be "You won't believe what I saw in Toledo" , lol .

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They don't want you telling everybody what you would see there , lol .

The title of your thread would be "You won't believe what I saw in Toledo" , lol .
No doubt.