NHTSA Development - petition for frame welds investigation

Tags:
  1. Avl2294

Avl2294 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sahara 2014 JKU Sahara 2004 Dodge Viper
    Liked:
    What are the chances...in that case yeah, you're fine. I'd still hit the welds with a wire brush real quick and get some paint on them. That rust will eventually spread like cancer.

2. mgroeger

mgroeger Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sahara, 2004 LJ
    Liked:
    That's the weird thing it really isn't rust. I have this great rust converter, it turns rust black and I sprayed it on there and nothing. That's why in that picture it looks glossy. I'll keep my eye on it.

3. Avl2294

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Sometimes if you don't clean the steel well enough and you don't have quite enough shielding gas, some silica(essentially glass) will rise to the surface of the weld. though I've NEVER seen that much silica on a weld.silica.jpg

4. NCJeepn73

NCJeepn73 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
    Liked:
    Technical SEO & Web Development
    @Avl2294

So, the bronze-ish/gold color shown in these welds in the pics attached is silica?

Thanks

20180712_191045.jpg

20180715_153020.jpg

5. Avl2294

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    It looks like it. Mgroegers Jeep is OK...yours on the other hand, yours are properly bad welds. The red arrow shows the weld that basically hasn't penetrated the frame at all, and the yellow shows welds full of porosity(resulting in a VERY weak weld). I would feel comfortable saying that yours isn't safe to drive.bad welds.jpg bad welds2.jpg

6. NavyVet1959

NavyVet1959 Banned

First Name:
    OldFart
    Vehicle(s):
    XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
    Liked:
    Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
    Garage Profiles:
    This is very basic stuff... There's no excuse for not getting this right...

Avl2294 likes this.
  7. NCJeepn73

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    @Avl2294 & @Capt-Zoom

That's what I've been told by several auto weld professionals who have a combined 43 years of experience and numerous certificates and who has also inspected the welds on the Jeep.

UPDATE (07-25-18): I have been in contact as of this morning with another representative higher up from within Chrysler. They are having me set up an appt with the dealership service dept (which I've set up for Monday next week) to get the steering TSB performed to hopefully improve the loose steering and Chrysler is also sending out FCA technicians to inspect the welds while the vehicle is there. I'll be provided a rental.

I don't see any welder in any country, and with a variety of training and/or certificates, saying these welds look even remotely safe or non-defective. But I'll know more probably by Tuesday.

beachbumm78 and fat_head like this.
  8. beachbumm78

beachbumm78 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kristy
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep Rubicon (ordered)
    Liked:
    Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
    As a soon to be Jeep owner...thanks for taking the time to keep us updated on this!

NCJeepn73 likes this.
  9. Jeep_Dude

Jeep_Dude Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JKU
    Liked:
    Nice looking weld there. Next time try welding with some metal core weld wire and see how more silica is on the surface of the weld. Then maybe you will understand what is going on at that factory.

NCJeepn73 likes this.
  10. Avl2294

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I don't weld with metal cored wire...never have, no matter what wire they're using there's no excuse for the issues people are having. The bad welds are a disgrace and I have no idea how the frames got through with those welds, and those frame welds that weren't properly prepped for paint, They should've put a few guys(or girls) on the line with some pneumatic needle scalers or something chipping the welds before paint. BUT, they didn't. Hopefully they have fixed these issues on the line. They will make it right at the end of the day.

NCJeepn73 likes this.
  11. Avl2294

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    But you are absolutely correct. FARRR more "silicon islands" come to the surface of welds done with metal cored wire as opposed to using solid GMAW wire. All that fact tells me is they should've known to remove the silicon.

NCJeepn73 likes this.
  12. NCJeepn73

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    So, got an update today on my JLR that's been at the dealership since Monday (4 days now). The service advisor and a representative from FCA have been in communication with each other and with me a few times this week.

The welds are so bad on my Jeep that they have forwarded the pictures to whomever at FCA that manages stuff like this and they have decided to send an FCA "crew" (at least a couple of FCA technicians) out to inspect the welds and reweld problem areas. The current bad problem areas are the front track bar bracket weld and the rear sway bar welds. Those two areas of welds are pretty horrible, as I've shown in several threads here in the forums. But just to iterate again, I've attached the front track bar outer weld pic below.

So, I'm in a rental (Durango) provided by the dealership now and may be until sometime next week, or until who knows how long.

I'll update once I know more. If they do decide to just reweld the known problem areas I will have them re-inspected by my own certified welder. I may even see if my welder will go with me to pick up the vehicle. Also, I don't plan on taking the vehicle if the reweld look any bit suspicious or if they don't look rock solid.

This all sucks. I may also ask for a reimbursement for my monthly payment at the very least. I'm sure that will go smoothly. :headbang:

20180712_191110.jpg

13. ALRUI

ALRUI Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Arnold
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
    Liked:
    So the picture with the white plastic "T" is good? A tad confused here.

14. old8tora

old8tora Banned

Vehicle(s):
    2016 JK Sport
    Liked:
    They will tell you " no reimbursement until you go to welding school , because it's a Jeep thing ."

15. tweak

tweak New Member

First Name:
    Gary
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Rubicon
    Liked:
    MarkL likes this.