Sponsored

NHTSA crash test rating of 4 stars for 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU 4-door!!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
*Groan* again the thing hasn't been called a roll bar for decades, and sure it may accidentally offer some protection to occupants, but don't bet on it.

I would advise anyone wanting to know more about the sports bar to look up reliable information about it.

This is from a quick search online

Jeep makes it a point to refer to it as a sports bar instead of roll cage, establishing bar isn’t designed for rolling over
Liability. It holds up extremely well on the JL. There are plenty of examples, people have roll on the trail and on the highway at high speeds and the bars held their integrity. They're really good.
Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Liability. It holds up extremely well on the JL. There are plenty of examples, people have roll on the trail and on the highway at high speeds and the bars held their integrity. They're really good.
Liability because it is a safety issue.

Of course they are "really good" but they are not roll bars, so it's wise to refer to them what they are sports bar, referring to them as roll bars is misleading, kinda like referring to the plastic bumpers as bull bars.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Liability because it is a safety issue.

Of course they are "really good" but they are not roll bars, so it's wise to refer to them what they are sports bar, referring to them as roll bars is misleading, kinda like referring to the plastic bumpers as bull bars.
They hold up well during rollovers. That's been seen time and time again. I understand what happens when lawyers get involved with the naming of it. However, in real world function, the vast majority of the time, it holds up in a rollover.

So how exactly should you not be able to call it a roll bar, in spite of what Jeep's lawyers want to call it?

Btw, I've never heard a plastic bumper referred to as a bull bar. However, if it protected the Jeep by knocking a bull out of the way, I think you could safely call it exactly that.

If it protects in a roll, it is a roll bar. If it honks like a goose, looks like a goose, flys in a V formation, has feathers, and shits on your dock, it is a goose.

A sports bar is where people hang out, watch sports, and lie about their plastic bumpers. What's on the Jeep is a roll bar. Calling it a sports bar is nothing more than legal political correctness, Lol!

I suspect older CJ's and YJ's bars were not nearly as strong, and thus the name was born, and was probably accurate. I've seen a few that rolled and the windshield didn't hold up its end of the bargain. (I've not owned a TJ or seen how they hold up.) The JK was stronger and I've seen pics over the years that show it did much better. The JL has more structural strength than any Jeep before it. Maybe sports bar was just a holdover and there's no compelling reason to change it. It isn't like the name hurts sales.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
They hold up well during rollovers. That's been seen time and time again. I understand what happens when lawyers get involved with the naming of it. However, in real world function, the vast majority of the time, it holds up in a rollover.

So how exactly should you not be able to call it a roll bar, in spite of what Jeep's lawyers want to call it?

Btw, I've never heard a plastic bumper referred to as a bull bar. However, if it protected the Jeep by knocking a bull out of the way, I think you could safely call it exactly that.

If it protects in a roll, it is a roll bar. If it honks like a goose, looks like a goose, flys in a V formation, has feathers, and shits on your dock, it is a goose.

A sports bar is where people hang out, watch sports, and lie about their plastic bumpers. What's on the Jeep is a roll bar. Calling it a sports bar is nothing more than legal political correctness, Lol!

I suspect older CJ's and YJ's bars were not nearly as strong, and thus the name was born, and was probably accurate. I've seen a few that rolled and the windshield didn't hold up its end of the bargain. (I've not owned a TJ or seen how they hold up.) The JK was stronger and I've seen pics over the years that show it did much better. The JL has more structural strength than any Jeep before it. Maybe sports bar was just a holdover and there's no compelling reason to change it. It isn't like the name hurts sales.
Why is it so difficult to refer to a part of the Wrangler by it's proper name which is a Sports bar, spreading misinformation does a disservice to forums like this where people come to find accurate information.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Why is it so difficult to refer to a part of the Wrangler by it's proper name which is a Sports bar, spreading misinformation does a disservice to forums like this where people come to find accurate information.
Spreading misinformation? :facepalm:
Is it designed to offer protection in a roll? Yes.

I like to call things what they are. Call it whatever you want, but please explain what "sport bar" means beyond being made up by lawyers in the 1970s or 80s?

It's more accurate to call it a roll bar than it is to call a Compass a Jeep.

I'll keep calling it a roll bar, thank you.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
This just came out. AAA tested the Automatic Emergency Braking System. This was their results. As for the 1 Star rating for Europe, just because a car has one, doesn't make it foolproof. Also of note, the BMW x1 couldn't even detect a pedestrian and ran it's ass over!

AAA tested four 2019 model-year sedans—Chevrolet Malibu, Honda Accord, Tesla Model 3, and Toyota Camry—all equipped with AEB and pedestrian detection. AAA found that pedestrian detection systems were “significantly challenged” in several of its simulated test scenarios that use dummies representing adult- and child-sized pedestrians.
  • If an adult was encountered crossing the road in daylight with the test vehicle traveling at 20 mph, a collision with the pedestrian was avoided only 40 percent of the time.
  • If the test vehicles came across a child darting into traffic from in between two cars, with the test vehicle traveling at 20 mph, a collision occurred 89 percent of the time; at 30 mph, none of the test vehicles avoided a collision.
  • None of the test vehicles avoided a collision (or even mitigated the impact speed) with a pedestrian crossing the road immediately after the test vehicle, traveling at 15 mph, made a right-hand turn.
  • When encountering two adults alongside the road with the test vehicle driving at 20 mph, a collision occurred 80 percent of the time.
  • The pedestrian detection systems proved ineffective when
Sponsored