Next Venture JLU Aluminum Belly Skids

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
A little more on the gas tank skid install in no particular order. . . .

Also, I think I mentioned previously, but I was super concerned about loosing the side "boating" of the stock gas skid to the NV one that didn't have side protection. . for weird stuff like hitting a rock or throwing the drive shaft. . . Anyway, I discussed it with Casey and Dan from NV and they custom fab'd me up a very cool shield for the side of the tank.

HOWEVER, I spent way more time screwing with it then I should have for a 15 min install. . . . In short, Dan included a little "door" on it which I deceided I didn't need to remove. . . but I did as one of the screws in it was making contact with the L bracket. Anyway, after an hour and some swearing, I finally removed that little door and the shield popped right on. . . .

A few additional tricks:
- The shield goes entirely inside the gas tank skid. In one of my videos you'll see that I have a couple of mounts out. That is wrong!
- I ended up doing a nut rivet on the very back of the shield and running a small allen in there. Not really to hold it in place but I was concerned about it making noise bounding around.

I think NV is thinking about making this a stock part of the kit. You'll need to ask if you get one. There is still a slight gap at the very back of the tank (between the two support braces) where the plastic is exposed - but I for the life of me cant figure out how anything would get up there. . . so I'm not worried about it.

More on the install. . .

Sponsored

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another weirdness that I couldn't figure out was the little bracket that NV included and what it was for. It's to mount the eTorque transfer portion of the skid (basically what runs the coolant lines up high). Those of you who don't have the eTorque can ignore this. I've thrown a video on - again from Dan which explained the whole thing to me - as I just wasn't getting it at first.

A couple of tricks on this:
- I didn't like the flat allen headed bolts that NV sent for the bottom of it. I don't see how those would work as I wanted to leave everything loose and tighten it up at the end. I ended up replacing with (stainless steel) carriage bolts. Worked perfect.
- I had a bit of a problem convincing the skid to drop down into place on the cross member. However, I was doing this on my 2nd install. . . you may not have same issue. I finally "convinced it" with a big pair of adjustable plyers. . . ..

The eTorque plate itself is super simple install - although you do need a hand rivet nut setter like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TODXQW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Directions for the bracket are:

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lastly, here's a couple of shots of the engine / tranny skid brackets in place.

This was pretty straight forward. You need to back out the current bolts that are there and add the ones supplied by NV. Tighten everything down.

Anyway, that's it!

Overall I am extremely happy with the decision to go with NV!

Cons:
- I wish the cross brace had cleared my exhaust first time. Would have saved me a lot of work. However, NV made it good ASAP with a new one. (I also wish I would have caught it during install.)
- I wish there would have been more videos and write up on NV skid system. I was pretty nervous about getting it. Thus, why I'm doing the detailed write up I now am - to give back as I've been learning so much from the rest of you! #grattitude (No mocking me for my incredibly poor video skills!!! You try installing the whole thing by yourself on your tiny garage floor and then let me know how your video turns out!)

Pros:
- Great coverage - I am not planning on lifting my jeep so wanted a complete belly pan system.
- Looks super great on.
- Doesn't require a lift to work. Some of the systems do. Will also apparently work with long-arm lifts for those so inclined.
- Super light weight - only added ~42lbs. That's incredible.
- Easy install - was able to do it in my garage without jacking and with basic hand tools.
- Pick up 3/4 of an inch of clearance on the gas tank. Good protection on the gas tank with the additional shield
- Good price. I did a lot of price shopping. I was admittedly able to pick this up from NV on their 4th of July sale with a 17.76% discount. . . .
- I like that it's build in the USA. . . . right in Colorado.
- Phenomenal customer service. These guys have been super responsive, follow-up, corrected issues, and actually call me back! (Who does that now days???)

Let me know if you have questions.

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Lastly, here's a couple of shots of the engine / tranny skid brackets in place.

This was pretty straight forward. You need to back out the current bolts that are there and add the ones supplied by NV. Tighten everything down.

Anyway, that's it!

Overall I am extremely happy with the decision to go with NV!

Cons:
- I wish the cross brace had cleared my exhaust first time. Would have saved me a lot of work. However, NV made it good ASAP with a new one. (I also wish I would have caught it during install.)
- I wish there would have been more videos and write up on NV skid system. I was pretty nervous about getting it. Thus, why I'm doing the detailed write up I now am - to give back as I've been learning so much from the rest of you! #grattitude (No mocking me for my incredibly poor video skills!!! You try installing the whole thing by yourself on your tiny garage floor and then let me know how your video turns out!)

Pros:
- Great coverage - I am not planning on lifting my jeep so wanted a complete belly pan system.
- Looks super great on.
- Doesn't require a lift to work. Some of the systems do. Will also apparently work with long-arm lifts for those so inclined.
- Super light weight - only added ~42lbs. That's incredible.
- Easy install - was able to do it in my garage without jacking and with basic hand tools.
- Pick up 3/4 of an inch of clearance on the gas tank. Good protection on the gas tank with the additional shield
- Good price. I did a lot of price shopping. I was admittedly able to pick this up from NV on their 4th of July sale with a 17.76% discount. . . .
- I like that it's build in the USA. . . . right in Colorado.
- Phenomenal customer service. These guys have been super responsive, follow-up, corrected issues, and actually call me back! (Who does that now days???)

Let me know if you have questions.
Great write up! NV makes some good stuff (I have their front and rear diff covers and diff skids)!

Sponsored

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome work!

I have their skids on order for my JL Diesel since August 13th.. So hopefully soon I will get them.
Hey @Extremneon, curious if you got the gas tank guard? Let me know how your install goes. I'll be curious. Check your exhaust clearance first! So you don't end up installing 2x. LOL. (Wish I had the diesel!)

Extremneon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Hey @Extremneon, curious if you got the gas tank guard? Let me know how your install goes. I'll be curious. Check your exhaust clearance first! So you don't end up installing 2x. LOL. (Wish I had the diesel!)
I will do…. I got the complete skid plate package for the diesel, UHMW plastic and front and rear diff skids also. I got one of the diff skids already…. But haven’t done anything to it just yet. Jeep is at the shop having a full cage done and b-pillar chop.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'm looking at both sets of skids too. The Artec looks impressive. . . BUT, it requires a lift. (I did validate this directly with Artec.). I don't plan to do a lift.
What part of the Artec makes it require a lift? I had mine installed prior to putting the lift kit and had zero problems with it.

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What part of the Artec makes it require a lift? I had mine installed prior to putting the lift kit and had zero problems with it.
I don’t know…. But I called them after reading it and they said you had to have a lift…. It says on their website “recommended” but the guy I talked to said there would be definite contact.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I don’t know…. But I called them after reading it and they said you had to have a lift…. It says on their website “recommended” but the guy I talked to said there would be definite contact.
Interesting. I just saw that Artec put a note on their website about installation on 2021s (which is what I have). That note didn't exist when I did the install, no wonder I had some issues.

The note reads: " Jeep has made some changes to the frame on the 2021, so for the front frame hole on the fuel skid and the countersunk hole on the fuel skid that bolts into the crossmember they are slightly off and will need to be ovaled out/elongated, and the crossmember will possibly contact the exhaust right before it hits the Catalytic Converter. We are currently working on a revision for both the fuel skid and crossmember, but unfortunately Jeep went and changed the frame and exhaust on us, which changes the fitment of our bellypan. "

I encountered the frame hole issue. ended up popping the frame nut cert. I contacted Artec and asked them to send me a flag nut and used that. I had to oval another hole.

I had to check about possible contact with exhaust.

Sponsored

Extremneon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Same here. I ordered a few days ahead of you.
copy,

let me know when you get them or get notification of them being shipped?

sent them an email on November 22 and they said they had 10 in front of my order and they expected slow down with the Thanksgiving Holiday and would expect that my order would likely go out the next week.

That time frame has passed.. I am sure they are like all business right now, struggling for employees.

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a full belly set with UHMW for the 392 as well as front/rear diff covers and skids on Black Friday. Hearing that you guys that ordered in August still haven’t received yours makes me concerned it’ll summer before my order is completed.
Sponsored