Sponsored

Next-Gen Wrangler

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Just curious of peoples thoughts, will Jeep move up introduction of the next gen wrangler (call it the JM) to meet Bronco threat head on? Maybe not wait 10-11 years between cycles this time?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Doubt it. Wrangler has been on a 10-year product cycle since the early 1980s, with a major mid-cycle refresh 5 years into it.

Unlike most other vehicles on the market, Wranglers do not need constant styling tweaks and suspension redesigns to remain competitive. In fact, tried-and-true 4WD systems and suspension, and an functional, iconic design, are Wrangler’s main draws.

Everything else —e.g., upgraded infotainment, interior upgrades, new wheels, etc.— can be easily handled through mid-cycle refreshes.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Not a chance. Besides what Aldo mentioned, the next Wrangler will not be much different than the JL all in all. Drive a 2018 JK and a 2018 JL and let me know what you think of the differences between them. Bare in mind of course one was launched in 2006, the other early 2018..

OP
OP

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And the past 4 iterations of the wrangler launched without anything approaching the competition that the Bronco is bringing, looking forward to what innovations Jeep can come up with...

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Expect powertrain (full electric, semi-autonomous driving), new off-road capabilities (ABS enabled wheel-drag turns), “special model” sticker packages and infotainment updates (UConnect 5, 360° cameras), but if platform history is any indication, new sheet metal or interior changes are 5-7 years away.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good points, I haven't off roaded it much yet, doing first Jamboree in VT in july, but as with my last JK and this JL, I have top and doors off as much as I can in summer, so the standard half doors and the no central crossbar in the Bronco is enticing, my kids would love that even more than the JEEP!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Nah JLs are here to stay. Theyll add new tech, wireless appleplay and stuff like that. Jeeps are great long term vehicles, they look "new" and good for a while.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Honestly, the JLs look better than most 'filler cars' manufactures are pumping out these days..
And probably will still do in 10 years.
Jeep Wrangler JL Next-Gen Wrangler 1614975704961

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
Good points, I haven't off roaded it much yet, doing first Jamboree in VT in july, but as with my last JK and this JL, I have top and doors off as much as I can in summer, so the standard half doors and the no central crossbar in the Bronco is enticing, my kids would love that even more than the JEEP!

Interesting points,
but on another topic.... We are going to Killington this year as well! Can't wait to test out the new JL. Going to the Maine Jamboree also.
This will be our 11th & 12th jamborees. But first in the JL.
Most of the jamborees we have done have been in our crawler TJ that we trailered. We did our first couple of jamborees in a two door JK rubi when the JK's first came out, And then I switched to a truck for day to day with a more aggressive wheeler for fun time (the TJ and the trailer) Got sick of trailering and wanted to be in a Jeep day to day so now I am back to a two door everyday with the new JL.
See you there hopefully:rock:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The pending introduction of the 4xe is a watershed change in power delivery. With that out of the way, and to echo Aldo's comment that recurring tweaks & redesigns work against the Wrangler's competitive advantage, you might consider looking to the past to envision the future.

Said differently: Consider what was done to turn the JK into the JL, and use a bit of extrapolation to form a draft representation of your proposed "JM". Let us know where you land, @Cutterone. :)

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Since Wrangler was introduced in the late 80’s the shortest life span is 9 model years. Each new generation has had a longer product cycle. Beginning with 1987

YJ: 9 MY
TJ: 10 MY
JK: 12 MY

I think it’s also possible JL’s life could be extended by continuing to produce the old JL alongside the new “JM”. Like they did with JK and currently do with “Ram 1500 Classic”

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
There isn’t really a need. The “look” of the JL is exceptional, looks very modern but still a Jeep. Any design changes they’d want to do in the near future would just be mid cycle updates. My guess is that development of the next platform is either not going on right now or very very early stages. How electrification goes over the next few years is going to dictate a LOT of what cars will look like in 10-15 years, which will be prime time for the JM.

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
My guess is, since the Uconnect5 is coming out in the Grand Wagoneer and GCL. Jeep will most likely be putting it into the Wrangler as a mid model revamp and regular timeline for a new model.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Just curious of peoples thoughts, will Jeep move up introduction of the next gen wrangler (call it the JM) to meet Bronco threat head on? Maybe not wait 10-11 years between cycles this time?
Doubt they will make any major changes to the JM Wrangler unless directed to do so by Government Agencies. The current JL is considered one of the best they ever made and is a huge improvement over the JK (which was also very popular. So that is telling something).

i do however have a feeling that Stellantis may discontinue the 3.6 Pentastar in the JM and replace it with either the Turbo 4 as the soul Gasoline option or bring out the rumoured Twin Turbo Straight 6 alongside the Turbo 4.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
If I had to guess Jeep will do the refresh as planned. The Bronco is delayed and likely isn't going to significantly affect the 2022 Wranglers. Will they cut the JL short? who know maybe if Ford is beating them up in sales in 2023 maybe. It takes a few years for a manufacturer to make a new generation car. If Jeep hasn't started on the next gen yet JM, it probably wouldn't be released until 2025 anyways.

In someways we as the consumer are better off with longer model cycles because it takes a few years to refine a car. The vehicle with 5 year cycle the last year is almost alway the best and most reliable, by the last year they are also figuring out the longer term issues that cropping up.
Sponsored