James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'll let you know what happens post replacement.
I'm more worried about making sure they transfer over all my current subscriptions, etc. Example: My vehicle came with a deal providing Navigation for 5years at no cost.

Glad to hear they are providing a replacement for you. Hopefully they have the parts and/or they can get them in for you quickly.
Had the head unit replaced today without issue. Took about 1 hour for them to do the work.

All services transferred over, but things such as station settings, personal preferences, phones, nav options, etc., had to be set up again (expected).

Quick Side Note: You should get a radio code to keep in your glove box with the new radio. Make sure you get that on the way out.
Sponsored

Big Red Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ; 2014 FLHTK
Had the head unit replaced today without issue. Took about 1 hour for them to do the work.

All services transferred over, but things such as station settings, personal preferences, phones, nav options, etc., had to be set up again (expected).

Quick Side Note: You should get a radio code to keep in your glove box with the new radio. Make sure you get that on the way out.
Thanks, for the follow-up. Radio code? What will I need this for?

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, for the follow-up. Radio code? What will I need this for?
Someone else most likely has a better explanation, but in essence it's a small code for that specific radio unit. Almost like a pass code. The only time I've know someone to need it is if they had bought a replacement radio and had to call it in to activate basic services, etc., but in the event you or your dealer has to do that in the future, that code will be needed.

Or, at least that's how I understand it today....

Big Red Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ; 2014 FLHTK
Someone else most likely has a better explanation, but in essence it's a small code for that specific radio unit. Almost like a pass code. The only time I've know someone to need it is if they had bought a replacement radio and had to call it in to activate basic services, etc., but in the event you or your dealer has to do that in the future, that code will be needed.

Thanks again.
I'm waiting for the dealer call to replace this radio. 🤞.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass

The reason there is a radio code is to deter radio theft. Without the code the head unit is useless, so you'd potentially need it after battery replacement or unit reset.

BUT, the reason for the code is to DETER THEFT. Keeping it in the glove box would be like keeping your debit card pin number in your wallet.

Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The reason there is a radio code is to deter radio theft. Without the code the head unit is useless, so you'd potentially need it after battery replacement or unit reset.

BUT, the reason for the code is to DETER THEFT. Keeping it in the glove box would be like keeping your debit card pin number in your wallet.
Will keep it in the document lockbox then ;)

I've only ever had to dig it out once for a Dealership 2yrs ago.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Yeah, my 8.4 just went nuts a few weeks ago and I'm replacing with the heigh10. Lose no functionality from the 8.4
Really? The heigh10 has all the same apps like the offroad app that show angles and you can adjust your air conditioning on the touch screen? If that's the case I'm gonna switch mine out. I had assumed all the vehicle specific controls would be gone after chaining the head unit. I can't even get my 8.4 to run andriod auto over usb let alone wireless.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Really? The heigh10 has all the same apps like the offroad app that show angles and you can adjust your air conditioning on the touch screen? If that's the case I'm gonna switch mine out. I had assumed all the vehicle specific controls would be gone after chaining the head unit. I can't even get my 8.4 to run andriod auto over usb let alone wireless.
You do lose a few things. The compass on the little screen above the steering. (You can choose other things to display). The Sirius weather map and extras that you get free for a while with the 8.4. But you gain better audio, multiple camera options, tpms and ess control (like a taser) and retain all climate heated seats and wheel and steering wheel controls. The off road display is always available and you can edit which display. You can overlay the angle display over your front camera which is nice.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
You do lose a few things. The compass on the little screen above the steering. (You can choose other things to display). The Sirius weather map and extras that you get free for a while with the 8.4. But you gain better audio, multiple camera options, tpms and ess control (like a taser) and retain all climate heated seats and wheel and steering wheel controls. The off road display is always available and you can edit which display. You can overlay the angle display over your front camera which is nice.
Thanks! The big one for me would be loss of control over the Aux switches. Hopefully that stays in the new unit.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Thanks! The big one for me would be loss of control over the Aux switches. Hopefully that stays in the new unit.
yes, you retain Aux switch control
Sponsored